Thread: Award from International Society of Photographers

Default Award from International Society of Photographers

Hi

I just got a mail form one Mr Craig Foster, International Society of Photographers, Convention Awards Chairperson - that I have received an award for one photo I submitted some time ago at picture.com. http://www.picture.com

However, in order for them to send me the trophy etc, they want me to pay US$ 169 plus postage+handling via credit card on-line.

Looking for advice whether any of the CSers received such mails, and whether it is a fraud?

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by Deb
    Hi

I just got a mail form one Mr Craig Foster, International Society of Photographers, Convention Awards Chairperson - that I have received an award for one photo I submitted some time ago at picture.com. http://www.picture.com

However, in order for them to send me the trophy etc, they want me to pay US$ 169 plus postage+handling via credit card on-line.

Looking for advice whether any of the CSers received such mails, and whether it is a fraud?

Deb
    Heard this before! Caters to the ego of the unsuspecting.

Default same here

i receive it too...anyway, i just ignore that email....everything have to pay $$$...what does that prove...?!

Its a scam ,

http://www.betterphoto.com/forms/QnA...?threadID=8171

Excerpt from thread, " hi you guys, it's my first time reading this thread. and I dun know if I sld beembarrassed to say this, but I did pay 200USD plus some other shipping and handling fee for my 'trophy' cos I dind't attend the convention.
    how do I contact them to enquire about this?
    btw, I am from singapore and urm it's my first ever photo contest and I feel quite sad and really terrible if I dun ever receive this trophy which i'd paid for. cos my mum was the one who wanted me to have it. she thought it'd be nice to have at home. it seemed really legit to us at that time...but it's been months after the promised time of arrival...they'd stated that we'd receive it in 3-4 weeks.
    i do hope that i'll receive it, crummy salad bowl or not....
    cos my mum will be real sad otherwise...

"

Quote Originally Posted by Deb
    Hi

Deb
    Hi Deb,

A good start would be to email to the International Society of Photographers and ask if there was indeed such a person and email.

Nickle

Deregistered

Check the email header and do a whois ensure the address is from the legit domain of ISP

In their website, I read the part "About Us" to find out more about them. Most of the talk is about prize monies of this and that. Doubt if this thing is anything about photography. They seem to be using the lure of the "figures" to attract people to participate.

Here's a reply to Craig Foster:

Dear Mr. Foster,

I am humbled by the award bestowed to me by International Society of Photographers.

My parents are excited by it and they want me to go to US of A to receive the trophy. Could you arrange a return air-ticket to your city and also 2 weeks of hotel accomodation as I like to stay there after the prize-giving ceremony to shoot for the next ISP contest. Maybe US$2,000 spending money would be good too?

As I am flying to collect my trophy myself to save you the trouble of sending ing it to me I won't be sending you the US$169.

By the way I don't quite like western food, could you book some of the finest Chinese restaurants in your city for me for 2 weeks?

Thank you very much for your generosity. I will remember you and ISP for a long long time.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

Dear Mr. Foster,

I am humbled by the award bestowed to me by International Society of Photographers.

My parents are excited by it and they want me to go to US of A to receive the trophy. Could you arrange a return air-ticket to your city and also 2 weeks of hotel accomodation as I like to stay there after the prize-giving ceremony to shoot for the next ISP contest. Maybe US$2,000 spending money would be good too?

As I am flying to collect my trophy myself to save you the trouble of sending ing it to me I won't be sending you the US$169.

By the way I don't quite like western food, could you book some of the finest Chinese restaurants in your city for me for 2 weeks?

Thank you very much for your generosity. I will remember you and ISP for a long long time.

Heard something similar from the International Library of Poetry too..paid a fee..got my poem published.Next offer cam my way, I just tore up the bleddy letter.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Sion

Dear Mr. Foster,

Don't worry dude, u wun be hearing frm him anytime soon

lol :P good reply! hahaha
    Budget wedding photographer :)