Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which spare camera?

Default Which spare camera?

I'm currently using a Canon DSLR system but I am hoping to have another smaller camera for STREET PHOTOGRAPHY as I don't like carrying my DSLR around. I'm looking for compacts/rangefinders and my budget is around $300-400

1) Compact
    Hoping for WIFI
    IQ need not be that great, just looking to more of fun
    Any brand is fine, currently look at Olympus XZ-1 but not sure it'll be a good buy.

2) Rangefinders
    Any amateur rangefinder will do
    Prefer 35mm lens

Please advise me on this one. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie12 View Post
    I'm currently using a Canon DSLR system but I am hoping to have another smaller camera for STREET PHOTOGRAPHY as I don't like carrying my DSLR around. I'm looking for compacts/rangefinders and my budget is around $300-400

1) Compact
    Hoping for WIFI
    IQ need not be that great, just looking to more of fun
    Any brand is fine, currently look at Olympus XZ-1 but not sure it'll be a good buy.

2) Rangefinders
    Any amateur rangefinder will do
    Prefer 35mm lens

Please advise me on this one. Thank you very much.
    How about grd4?

Default Re: Which spare camera?

small and light Canon S110 got wifi. This place says $419. No idea who they are.

Canon PowerShot S110 Digital Camera - Prices in Singapore on Price Me

How about a smart phone? can listen to MP3 and surf internet, can also make phone calls.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by trd2970 View Post

How about grd4?
    +1 to grd4
    hi

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked out GRD IV but is this better or the Olympus xz-1?

And I don't feel like using canon compacts as I prefer to try out other systems for more exposure.

If you can stretch budget, look at Leica X2. Leica Camera AG - Photography - X2

Ricoh GR perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    How about a smart phone? can listen to MP3 and surf internet, can also make phone calls.
    +100 to smart phone

Quote Originally Posted by ricohflex View Post
    small and light Canon S110 got wifi. This place says $419. No idea who they are.

Canon PowerShot S110 Digital Camera - Prices in Singapore on Price Me
    It's valuebasket... heard this shop has mixed reviews

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked out GRD IV but is this better or the Olympus xz-1?

And I don't feel like using canon compacts as I prefer to try out other systems for more exposure.
    Frankly I think IQ of these advanced pns is about there. Grd4 is more a street photography camera with a strong heritage. Also has some innovative features like snap focus. Courts should have a set of xz1 on display for u to try out. As for grd4, i haven't seen it on display, but there's an awesome thread on it in the pentax/ricoh equipment section.

Since your budget around $300-400..

2nd hand Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE with 28mm lens, can double work as your cellphone too.

For 300-400 I'd look at a used Panasonic Lumix LX-5 or LX-7. Small, discrete, good IQ, excellent lens.

If you can afford more, I think one of the best cameras for street photography is the Sony RX100. I have several (much) more expensive cameras, but I wind up getting more good street shots from the Sony because it's so small and inconspicuous that you can carry and shoot everywhere. The RX100 has an awesome lens and sensor in a very small package.
    Last edited by jfxberns; 12th July 2013 at 08:44 AM.

Here's a good guide to enthusiast subcompacts:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/236...ompact-cameras

Honestly though, any camera that's with you takes better pictures than one that's sitting in a dry cab at home. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by jfxberns View Post
    For 300-400 I'd look at a used Panasonic Lumix LX-5 or LX-7. Small, discrete, good IQ, excellent lens.

DIf you can afford more, I think one of the best cameras for street photography is the Sony RX100. I have several (much) more expensive cameras, but I wind up getting more good street shots from the Sony because it's so small and inconspicuous that you can carry and shoot everywhere. The RX100 has an awesome lens and sensor in a very small package.
    It seem like more and more good photographer are using the more compact or the equally good as a DSLR, APS-C sensor MILC for over the bulkier and clumsy full DSLR. :-)

Fuji X100S seems like a good choice

If its for fun, options abound.

Small sensor camera- Panasonic Lx series, Pentax Q; GR4; MX-1; XZ-1; RX100 ;
    m4/3 with 1 lens : lots of 2nd hand m4/3 can do it with kit lens or a cheap 14/2.5
    Film : why not try film. Small SLR like a Pentax ME Super and a cheap 50/2 or whatever brand (though those may be a bit bigger); Get one with metering for convenience.
    What about EOS M??

Ok thank you for the various suggestions!

I actually wanted to get a micro 4/3 but realised that if I weren't going to change lens that often there's no point in getting an interchangeable camera

I also wanted to get the EOS M (very badly) but it's way out of my budget. As well as other cameras like Leica and Fujifilm X series
    Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    If its for fun, options abound.

Small sensor camera- Panasonic Lx series, Pentax Q; GR4; MX-1; XZ-1; RX100 ;
    m4/3 with 1 lens : lots of 2nd hand m4/3 can do it with kit lens or a cheap 14/2.5
    Film : why not try film. Small SLR like a Pentax ME Super and a cheap 50/2 or whatever brand (though those may be a bit bigger); Get one with metering for convenience.
    What about EOS M??

Ok thank you for the various suggestions!

I actually wanted to get a micro 4/3 but realised that if I weren't going to change lens that often there's no point in getting an interchangeable camera

I also wanted to get the EOS M (very badly) but it's way out of my budget. As well as other cameras like Leica and Fujifilm X series
    You just missed the great price for the EOS-M + 22mm... USD $299..
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

May I suggest... Nokia 920 or 1020?

My bro and dad is using the Nokia 900... and IQ is excellent, even better than many compact camera. The 920 shared the same 8MP cam as the 900, so the image quality is simply... great. Also look at the Nokia 1020 (41MP), in good lighting, I think it will be much better than most compact out there! Just shoot, then later crop.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast