Thread: does 85mm f3.5 micro nikkor worth 609?

Default does 85mm f3.5 micro nikkor worth 609?

Recently I had made up my mind of going into macro photography. And 85mm f3.5 micro nikkor just struck my mind. It tempted me to get it as it is at my affordable range. But my brother kept telling me that it is not a real good lens and advised me to save up more to get a sigma 105 EX or Nikon 105 Micro.

I am really quite lost about this problem..

Default Re: does 85mm f3.5 micro nikkor worth 609?

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Lim View Post
    Recently I had made up my mind of going into macro photography. And 85mm f3.5 micro nikkor just struck my mind. It tempted me to get it as it is at my affordable range. But my brother kept telling me that it is not a real good lens and advised me to save up more to get a sigma 105 EX or Nikon 105 Micro.

I don't know about this lens, but in general, most macro lenses are pretty good, so I'd go with the more versatile/faster lens for the same money.
    IMO, the more important thing to macro is knowing how to give good, diffused and even directional lighting.
    Take a look at the macro section on CS.
    Even those who know how to use pns can get fantastic results.

So it doesn't really matter if its EX or Nano crystal coated? But doesn't these coatings make images sharp?

So it doesn't really matter if its EX or Nano crystal coated? But doesn't these coatings make images sharp?
    No. They just reduce lens flare
    Alpha

I think this is a DX lens if it is of any bearing. If you do not plan to migrate to FX any time soon this would be workable. Alternatively you could look for used tamaron 90mm macro which would be in the 400 -550 bracket. Or even a used 60mm micro from nikon. Anything would work better if you had it than naught.

I had used the 60mm f/2.8 D series, and then the 105mm f/2.8 VR series, also the 105mm f/2.8 AIS series, and surprising my favorite is the cheapest plastic all purpose general zoom, the 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6D.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

There is nothing terribly wrong with the lens, but it is just that you get quite a bit more from the usual FX macro lenses, including the ability to work well on a FX camera and the larger f/2.8 aperture.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Oh. So the diff is only the larger aperture and the coating.. thanks

I have this lens - I use this for my product photography

Previous I use the 16-85mm DX at 85mm but found the image turn out distorted and not suitable for product photography

Each lens has it use and purpose

for whatever gears, be it camera, lenses or flash, if you don't utilise them, it will be too expensive to own it.

so the question should be, which lens you will be able to utilise it fully?
    than the price of this lens is irrelevant since this lens is useful to you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks