View Poll Results: would you REPORT infringement on copyright in the following scenarios

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • commercial use of photos belonging to someone you know

7 58.33%
  • commercial use of photos belonging to someone you don't know

3 25.00%
  • non-profit use of photos belonging to someone you know

5 41.67%
  • sale of pirate software

3 25.00%
  • commercial use of pirate software like PS

3 25.00%
  • non-profit use of pirate software like PS

0 0%
  • I never report anything. unless the copyright belong to me

6 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: views on copyrights

Default views on copyrights

you can choose more than one option

do people actually report on sale of pirate software?

I mean I see the pirate shop at AMK/hougang all the time but nobody report.

but I think the AMK one has closed down if I am not wrong. Anyway what number to call to report pirate shop? 999 ?

The current concept of software duplication as an absolute act of piracy is very debatable, and if you stand on the side of the Free Software Foundation and her ideals, then you will look at it in a more macro view and realise that it is not a black and white issue.It has become a philosophical debate where even the issue of corporate imperialism is brought in to discuss whether the concept of innovation is best served with a free-wheeling base or a rigid, corporate ruled path.
    We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities. - Oscar Wilde

????

mmm.... don't get it. All I know is that I will be pretty pissed off if I am a software programmer.

I though since Clubsnap is about photography, people here will have a greater respect for intellectual property rights.

I just saw another pirate shop at AMK just now. Maybe I should call 999... but the police blind meh?? never go AMK central ...

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    ????

mmm.... don't get it. All I know is that I will be pretty pissed off if I am a software programmer.

I though since Clubsnap is about photography, people here will have a greater respect for intellectual property rights.

I just saw another pirate shop at AMK just now. Maybe I should call 999... but the police blind meh?? never go AMK central ...
    Maybe the Ang Mo Kio police are also patrons of the shop?

software programmers are paid regardless if their software gets pirated. From a company's point view, cost of piracy is very high. so the programmers could have gotten a higher pay if piracy don't exist. On one hand, if the software is crap, no one will even want to pirate, so on that terms, the companies will actually be quite famous and have made substantial profits before someone will want to pirate.

But then, w/o piracy, who'll actually shell out $700 for PS? Even Winzip needs to be licensed. For non-commerical uses, its quite impossible to have every piece of software in your PC legit.

As for the shops/pasar malams selling pirated stuff, they'll always be around. The police won't bother catching these runners, they should probably be trying to catch the bigger prey importing all these goods. When there's demand, there's always supply. The govt can be real harsh on piracy though. Just CANE anyone who sells pirated goods, no need jail, no need to fine. Just 1hr ruling at subordinate courts, then off to changi to PIAK! then can go home liao. Surely no one will dare to sell. To curb the demand, it'll be more difficult. As most PCs will already have at least one software non-legit, it'll be tough to 'catch all'. Some tout education is the key. IMO, piracy, like spam, virus, is here to stay.

I hate copyrights !!!

Why ?.... because you need to have it.

I see some excellent photo's posted here in CS and it is spoiled by a copyright signature.

I understand only too well that it has to be done by the originators of the photo's but...
    I hate the fact that it has to be done.
    Because of the leechers that either don't have the tallent
    or are too lazy to do photo's for them selves and therefore "STEAL" other peoples tallent and time.

THAT !!! is why I hate coppyrights
    Time, is an effortless construction :)