Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: basic photography courses

  1. #1

    Default basic photography courses

    i'm interested in attending a basic photography course. i'm considering 2 now...

    one conducted by substation, commencing on 3 oct, costing $160 for 10 sessions.

    another by photographic society of singapore , commencing 20 sep, and cost $120 for 10 lessons.


    anybody attended these courses before and would like to give some suggestions?

    i would appreciate if we do not discuss the need of taking a photographic course here (eg. should save this money on taking more photos etc). Thank you.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Go substation...(hehe i know the lecturer there)

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sengkang, Singapore
    Posts
    684

    Default

    well..... i had taken basic photography course in PSS.... i think it quite good coz they explain alot of things, but only the first 4 lesson they teach very nasic things like aperture, shutter speed, etc.

    -Andre

  4. #4

    Default

    is the olympus photograhpy course good ?

  5. #5
    jcryan55
    Guests

    Default

    Try enrolliong for the SFRA photographic Club's basic photography course. Only cheap cheap....S$60 (for Safra memebers), Non members I think is S$72.
    Their next class should be starting next week, normally every Thursday. Pretty good syllabus covered with 2 outings.

  6. #6

    Default

    Try log on to www.safra.org to check out the details... i'm one of SAFRAPC member... won't regret when u take up the course... less than $100 for 8 lesson... why not?? in the later part,u will enjoin the event orginise by the club and also infomative knowledge share by fellow photographers... and some priviledges only to SAFRPC member...

  7. #7
    Punkie
    Guests

    Default Re: basic photography courses

    Originally posted by reny
    i'm interested in attending a basic photography course. i'm considering 2 now...

    one conducted by substation, commencing on 3 oct, costing $160 for 10 sessions.

    another by photographic society of singapore , commencing 20 sep, and cost $120 for 10 lessons.


    anybody attended these courses before and would like to give some suggestions?

    i would appreciate if we do not discuss the need of taking a photographic course here (eg. should save this money on taking more photos etc). Thank you.
    Yeah go for the Sub Station one. Its conducted by Mr. Lim. He was the ex chief Photographer for ST. I will be joining the Oct Class also. Hope to cya there.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,252

    Default

    without saying too much about mr lim...well i kinda don't like him so maybe the undermentioned is kinda bias:
    "my mom enrolled in his class ending next thursday. I've come to realise that mr lin is not that great a photographer. And he contradicts everything he says. Also, he doesn't really promote creativity in photog. He'll spend the first 5 lessons or so showing off to you the loads of eq he's got. Well its quite a lot but thats not the point of the lesson. He then rushes too many modules into too little lessons. That said, if u're a fast learner and read up yourself, u'll prob be ok. Basically, its not for half hearted ppl. a Lot of self study involved. Also, he will try to persuade u to visit certain shops to buy your stuff...As to whether its a better deal for u is debatable. For me, cos i know the peninsula owners pretty well, his "special" prices are nothing short of a rip off.... "

  9. #9

    Default

    is the olympus photograhpy course good ?
    they are excellent.... not a creativity lesson, but more of a technical course of how to use you olympus camera and how to deal with prints requirements.......

  10. #10
    Punkie
    Guests

    Default

    Originally posted by szekiat
    without saying too much about mr lim...well i kinda don't like him so maybe the undermentioned is kinda bias:
    "my mom enrolled in his class ending next thursday. I've come to realise that mr lin is not that great a photographer. And he contradicts everything he says. Also, he doesn't really promote creativity in photog. He'll spend the first 5 lessons or so showing off to you the loads of eq he's got. Well its quite a lot but thats not the point of the lesson. He then rushes too many modules into too little lessons. That said, if u're a fast learner and read up yourself, u'll prob be ok. Basically, its not for half hearted ppl. a Lot of self study involved. Also, he will try to persuade u to visit certain shops to buy your stuff...As to whether its a better deal for u is debatable. For me, cos i know the peninsula owners pretty well, his "special" prices are nothing short of a rip off.... "
    Wah serious? Alamak gotta be careful then. My friend did ask me to being along a tape recorder and also his first few lessons will mostly be covering on equiptments. Hmm..let me guess...issit Foto-Guide you're talking about? I always see him there. Lim Seng Tiong is his name. He's been a photo journalist most of his life or so i heard, so naturally creativity isnt his forte. Hehe. Anyway this Oct 3 course is only supposed to be a Basic Photography Course rite? Feel free to correct me if you think i'm wrong.

  11. #11

    Default

    aiya, how about I conduct a course and you guys pay me ? cheaper still, and can also custom tailor for it to fit the questions and needs ?
    36frames Wedding Photography - http://www.36frames.com
    rueyloon - http://www.rueyloon.com

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Originally posted by Punkie

    Lim Seng Tiong is his name. He's been a photo journalist most of his life or so i heard, so naturally creativity isnt his forte.
    hey hey........ u just insulted a whole generation of photojournalists. i'm sure they will all be coming after you very soon.....

    seriously though, i think u have a positively skewed view of photojournalists. Henri Cartier Bresson was a photojournalist, so is Elliot Erwitt, so is Sebastião Salgado etc etc.......

    i think u can hardly fault them on the creativity side, which they have in spades...

    and just because a phootojournalist shoots mainly for newspaper, doesn't mean they don't put a lot of creative ideas in their work.....
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  13. #13
    Punkie
    Guests

    Default

    Ok i know wat you mean now that you pointed it out. But that wasnt my intention. I am a baby in photography and that fact alone, the real PROS given half a brain wouldnt be bothered with wat i say. Let alone come after me. I was talking rubbish perhaps.

    Once again correct me if i am wrong, photojournalism is an art of capturing the right moment in that split second. Creativity wise, you have it, you have it. You dont, you dont. Once again thats IMHO.

    And may i ask you something? You think its fair to compare Mr. Lim with those big names you've mentioned? Seriously, you are completely wrong with my view of photojournalism. Some of them are just pure brilliance. Ami Vitale is one of my favorite. Check her out if you havent already.

    For the sake of this forum. It started off from a very friendly and harmless note, dont let it end up having it flamed with arguements and such. PM me if you must

    Thank you.
    Last edited by Punkie; 12th September 2002 at 03:13 PM.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,464

    Default

    Originally posted by Punkie
    Ok i know wat you mean now that you pointed it out. But that wasnt my intention. I am a baby in photography and that fact alone, the real PROS given half a brain wouldnt be bothered with wat i say. Let alone come after me. I was talking rubbish perhaps.
    of course i know u don't mean it, but it doesn't excuse you if u have inadverdently implied something that isn't quite true (which u have). need to be responsible for wat u say u know? even if u're new to photography......


    Once again correct me if i am wrong, photojournalism is an art of capturing the right moment in that split second. Creativity wise, you have it, you have it. You dont, you dont. Once again thats IMHO.
    nope....afraid u're wrong. photojournalism is about telling a story with your pictures. Of course capturing the right moments matter too, but that's not the crux of it. A beautiful picture isn't photojournalism either, if it failed to convey the intended message or to tell the story of wat happend.

    and why isn't creativity needed in this aspect? the creative process starts from conceptualising how u want to shoot to tell the story, especially if u're doing a photo essay or photo documentary of a place or culture. You need creative ideas to think of angles to shoot where no one else will have the same picture. You need creative juices to flow when you are looking for icons or symbols in your picture that will represent the story angle that you want.

    even after the shoot ends, your creativity is still needed to select the best pictures that tell the story and file them / send them. You may want to crop a little. You may need to toss away nice pictures that don't really work in the context of the story. If you're fortunate, you may be working in a paper that allows you the latitude of working out the layout with the picture editor and at least get your say on how to arrange the pictures and which to leave out.

    Even if it's a simple social party shoot required of the photojournalist, creativity is still needed to make the pictures stand out from the ordinary.


    And may i ask you something? You think its fair to compare Mr. Lim with those big names you've mentioned? Seriously, you are completely wrong with my view of photojournalism.
    who's comparing Mr Lim? I'm responding directly to your implication that photojournalism does not require much creativity, a point which you have just re-stated in your reply (see above). I don't think i'm misunderstanding you, am i?


    Some of them are just pure brilliance. Ami Vitale is one of my favorite. Check her out if you havent already.
    will do.


    For the sake of this forum. It started off from a very friendly and harmless note, dont let it end up having it flamed with arguements and such. PM me if you must
    for the sake of this forum, i'm pointing out your misconceptions, which could mislead others.

    and pls don't take corrections as flames. Nobody is flaming you. This is still a cordial and friendly discussion
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

  15. #15
    Punkie
    Guests

    Default

    Err...ok i get wat you're saying. Thanks for pointing out those points that perhaps i've missed out here and there. But trust me, i do know wat you're saying. Maybe i'm just not quite as good with words. But i am sure some points i've pointed out arent wrong either...Eg...When i said that Creativity isnt his forte, i didnt say he isnt creative did i?

    Anyway, wat matters most sometimes isnt just about whos right and whos wrong. It goes deeper than that. I am sure you know that too. And no...i am not trying to mislead others.

    As for the flaming part, perhaps you wanna read wat i posted earlier again. I have no implication watsoever that you're flaming or trying to flame me for anything. I just dont wish to see this very healthy thread end up thrashed by flames.

    Btw...you've got PM.

    Regards
    Last edited by Punkie; 13th September 2002 at 03:51 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •