Thread: Which camera is better value for $?G2 or nikon 4500?

lxiul
    Guests

Question Which camera is better value for $?G2 or nikon 4500?

I'm a newbie in this area and I am really interested in getting one soon for my overseas trip next month. My budget is around $1k but it can go abit higher if it's a good camera...i' thinking of getting a 4mp so dunno what cameras can I consider..??

Where should I get the cameras from? Any good recommendations? Thanks!

think of other features rather than MP. MP is really not that important an issue for cameras around $1k price range.

There're some good 2MP/3MP cameras around which have some features that match and even exceed higher MP cameras.
    Last edited by mpenza; 5th September 2002 at 11:49 PM.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Won't comment on the CP 4500 but I don't think you'll go wrong with the G2.

lxiul
    Guests

Originally posted by mpenza
    think of other features rather than MP. MP is really not that important an issue for cameras around $1k price range.

There're some good 2MP/3MP cameras around which have some features that match and even exceed higher MP cameras.
    i would like the photos to look nicer in prints so i guess a higher MP would be better right? Or how about any recommendations? does anyone know of any website that gives really good and detail reviews all of the digital cameras in the market?

Originally posted by lxiul

i would like the photos to look nicer in prints so i guess a higher MP would be better right? Or how about any recommendations? does anyone know of any website that gives really good and detail reviews all of the digital cameras in the market?
    Try these

http://dpreview.com/
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/

Originally posted by lxiul

i would like the photos to look nicer in prints so i guess a higher MP would be better right?
    higher MP allows you to print bigger with a better quality. if you're printing A4 and below, 3MP is good enough. and for some A4 (e.g. portraits), 2MP is also sufficient for good quality prints.

both of the cameras mentioned are very capable. another one you could consider is Olympus C4000 which did well in a review at www.imaging-resource.com

www.steves-digicams.com , www.megapixel.net and www.dcresource.com are other good places to look for reviews.

www.shortcourses.com has some articles you may want to take a look.

lxiul
    Guests

Smile

thanks for the replies and advice! me gonna need some time to digest all the info from those reviews.. heard that there's a photokina coming, will prices drop after this? should i wait?? hmmm...

if you can wait, wait many new models are coming out.

If you can hang on for a while; rumours has it that a replacement for G2 will be released shortly. I'm not so concerned with the new model but rather I'd expect a fair number of current G2 users to sell their DC (based on the response when I witnessed G1 users swtching to G2s when the latter was released).

G2s then could be picked up @ a bargain!

lxiul
    Guests

Dunno whether can wait or not cuz going holiday in mid Oct! Will the price drop really soon or a few weeks later? if it's a few weeks after then i dun think i can wait.... i wanna use it for my holiday trip!