Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are you willing to pay for online newspaper subscription?

Default Are you willing to pay for online newspaper subscription?

We used to have free online newspapers to read. Look like one after another they are going paid subscription way.

Some say if you want quality journalism you have to pay to read just like the old days of buying physical newspapers.

Once you have free online news for several years people are not used to pay for it. But if all newspapers do that (Looks like they are all doing it in Australia now) then readers just have to pay for it.

Are you willing to pay for online newspaper subscription?

Default Re: Are you willing to pay for online newspaper subscription?

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    We used to have free online newspapers to read. Look like one after another they are going paid subscription way.

Some say if you want quality journalism you have to pay to read just like the old days of buying physical newspapers.

Once you have free online news for several years people are not used to pay for it. But if all newspapers do that (Looks like they are all doing it in Australia now) then readers just have to pay for it.

if you read newspaper is just to kill time.

than can go to the library, community centers to read news paper for free,

or ask your neighbours to give you their newspaper after they have read it.

or see if any of your friends are property agents, can ask the newspaper from them, they are interested to keep the classified section only.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Blog Entries

'free' content news and information is paid for by advertisers , so while you dont pay for it, its still not free
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by dreaming View Post
    not a cent

most articles have this "Read the full story ..... " at the end of the page..
    tip:

go to AsiaOne News or Channel News Asia.

they have almost the exact same story, but just that they show the full article

I'm already paying for 'paper' Newspaper... so, no... not interested to pay for online subscription...

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post
    tip:

go to AsiaOne News or Channel News Asia.

they have almost the exact same story, but just that they show the full article
    But in Australia all major newspapers Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian and Daily Telegraph are now in paid subscription only. So if want to read local news online have no choice but to subscribe. Luckily SMH only charges $15 a month.

Will pay for online newspapers but not the local ones.

But in Australia all major newspapers Sydney Morning Herald, The Australian and Daily Telegraph are now in paid subscription only. So if want to read local news online have no choice but to subscribe. Luckily SMH only charges $15 a month.
    Read Google News and choose the Australian Edition. Always FOC.

read BBC, always free.
    Objection !!!

i am subscribe to international news wire . much faster and better than States Times, lobang also many many... why read news from local paper or even local news?
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

News from paper (online/offline) are dated. Example like I know there is an earthquake from internet, I only can know from the paper tmrw. So, paper online or printed, is a no no for me anymore. I want the latest, not the history.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    i am subscribe to international news wire . much faster and better than States Times, lobang also many many... why read news from local paper or even local news?
    My previous boss loves to write comments to Shat Times. End up all of his postings are edited heavily to the point they were distorted from his original text. Complained to us, yet still write. Some ppl never give up, or never learn...
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    'free' content news and information is paid for by advertisers , so while you dont pay for it, its still not free
    this. plus the added fact that "online content" has virtually 0 distribution costs.

it costs way less than a cup of coffee a day. i think it is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by anavrinsea View Post
    this. plus the added fact that "online content" has virtually 0 distribution costs.
    So bandwidth and server is free nowadays ?

I used to subscribe to an on-line newspaper and gave it up after a year. I found that there was only a subset of all the articles that could be found on the paper edition. In other words, if the paper edition had 100% of the articles then the on-line edition had only about 30%. Also photos were largely non-existent.

Perhaps things have improved since I cancelled my subscription but I find that I can get most of my news on Yahoo, radio or TV.

Used to pay for online subscription of straits times some time back.

When straits times 1st launched the all the in package, signed up for it as only additional $2/mth for able to read full online paper using ST apps. But when it 1st launched, it only for apps to Apple OS. Now switches to Android can't log in anymore, unless pay another additional $2/mth for the "enhance" all in one package.
    Did not go for it as feel cheated for having to pay more, anyway did not use apps much as prefer to read hardcopy than a on smaller size tablet/phone.

I find i'm better informed watching cnn's amanpour, bbc and ted on youtube =D

what price would you feel comfortable paying for an online subscription and what content would you want for that price?

Quote Originally Posted by raydio View Post
    I used to subscribe to an on-line newspaper and gave it up after a year. I found that there was only a subset of all the articles that could be found on the paper edition. In other words, if the paper edition had 100% of the articles then the on-line edition had only about 30%. Also photos were largely non-existent.

Perhaps things have improved since I cancelled my subscription but I find that I can get most of my news on Yahoo, radio or TV.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast