Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Starhub offers 25mbps down/ 1mbps up Cable plans!

It also depends on how fast your destination site can upload.

Just rang up my brother and my friend to ask them about the deal. Seems like only an upgrade to Pentium M series (Paying extra $500+) is much better deal than the crap celeron.. Anyway, from my computation, I am actually paying a total of $58.8 per month for MOL 2000. So, going by paying extra $40+ and a lump sum payment of $500-700 seems like a good deal to me. In total, I should be paying ard $1600+ or slightly more. Not a bad deal considering having 25mbps for 2 years. What do you guys think?

Btw, had to fork out extra $$$ to get wireless stuff for the laptop...How much was that? <$100??

edit: BTW, I am hardcore game player. Have been playing with my selfhost servers with my friends. Maybe that's a better excuse to get a faster speed?

Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus
    IMO, I wonder why one wld need such a large bandwidth,...unless one is running a 'frenly distro biz'? or sharing the bandwith with 2-3 other households X 2-3users/household.?hehe
    In my case, i'm more after the increased upstream bandwidth @ 1 Mbits. Not to share files lar... but for online gaming. I find that the 384kbps cap on MOL 6500 seems to be insufficient to play online games smoothly (I play NBA Live mostly).

I remember playing NBA Live against somebody from the Philippines. His connection was via PLDT's ADSL and his ping was much, much better than mine. On paper, my connection's supposed to be much better, right?

:Later,

Quote Originally Posted by togu
    Can't they just put in the offer for current 6500 users? I signed up mine in Jan2005, and already got blown off when I heard they are giving a Linksys wireless G router 2 weeks after my signing, instead of the damn motorola wireless B junk.

Hell... the wireless router I got from them gave me constant disconnection... even after flashing to the latest firmware. Going direct to the cable gave me no problem at all.

Thus I ended up shelving the router / wireless B setup just after a few days of using it.

Quote Originally Posted by tokrot
    Btw do I need a new modem??? I am currently using Motorola surfboard...
    Depends on the model.

Click here for the modem compatibility list.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy
    In my case, i'm more after the increased upstream bandwidth @ 1 Mbits. Not to share files lar... but for online gaming. I find that the 384kbps cap on MOL 6500 seems to be insufficient to play online games smoothly (I play NBA Live mostly).

I remember playing NBA Live against somebody from the Philippines. His connection was via PLDT's ADSL and his ping was much, much better than mine. On paper, my connection's supposed to be much better, right?

in a way yes, because the higher your bandwidth, the lower your latency. But this also depends on the technology behind, ADSL has a lower latency, esp. if you are on ATM......used to play CS with ping of about 15ms usually.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh

care to explain what is written? how they get >1MBs?

Quote Originally Posted by di0nysus
    care to explain what is written? how they get >1MBs?
    the speed of 1380kbtyes per second (note not kbps) from singnet or starhub is to show the actual speed download from their server. then 117kbytes per second of upload.

both is amazingly fast compared to the current speed we get... btw whats the calculation of the kbps to kbytes/sec, cos i think the 1380 still not hit the roof yet...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy
    Hell... the wireless router I got from them gave me constant disconnection... even after flashing to the latest firmware. Going direct to the cable gave me no problem at all.

Thus I ended up shelving the router / wireless B setup just after a few days of using it.

Hrm... ok, I feel better now.

1 byte (B) = 8 bits (b)
    so a 25Mbps download speed should get approx 3MBps.
    he got 1MBps is probably because that's the limit of the server?

1 byte (B) = 8 bits (b)
    maybe his router giving him a 10mbps limit... maybe time for him to test direct...

or maybe he using wireless... hit the roof liao...
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt
    maybe his router giving him a 10mbps limit... maybe time for him to test direct...

or maybe he using wireless... hit the roof liao...
    it could be. wireless B is 11Mbps so that's about 1.3MBps. plausible.

btw, don u upgrading? can see that u very enthusiatic... btw which modem u got? wonder if i can go to the starhub outlet and directly change my points to get the motorola modem or wait for 2 weeks for the letter...

btw, don u upgrading? can see that u very enthusiatic... btw which modem u got? wonder if i can go to the starhub outlet and directly change my points to get the motorola modem or wait for 2 weeks for the letter...
    quite interested but dunno if i would require such speed. i'm still using the old maxonline plan (since scv trial time), changed a few modems and currently using the surfboard 4200.

quite interested but dunno if i would require such speed. i'm still using the old maxonline plan (since scv trial time), changed a few modems and currently using the surfboard 4200.
    den u need to upgrade your modem liao lor... lppl...

den u need to upgrade your modem liao lor... lppl...
    my current modem is still the loan set. ;P
    that means i have to buy 1. no money liao...

some ppl selling it for 70 bucks in yahoo auctions... but den i think i go use my points change better, since gimme points also useless 1... always never exchange for anything...

1 byte (B) = 8 bits (b)
    You left out another important perimeter the magical number 1024.
    1kbit = 1024 bit
    1kbytes = 1024 bytes.
    1Mbytes = 1024kbytes
    and the list goes on... :>

Seems to be ftp to local site only.

Wonder how it will be like for international sites.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast