Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iceland to catch nothern lights

Default Iceland to catch nothern lights

Hi All,

I am thinking of going to Iceland in November with my family ( wife, 2 young kids and MIL). Thus we like some advice from Seniors here who have experience in these trips.

We are thinking of staying for 5 days excluding flight. I am not sure if that is enough to cover the place plus catching the aurora. We are also thinking of basing in the capital and to take tours out everyday. Not sure if that is a good ideas or is there any other good suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Iceland to catch nothern lights

Quote Originally Posted by cuniti View Post
    Hi All,

I am thinking of going to Iceland in November with my family ( wife, 2 young kids and MIL). Thus we like some advice from Seniors here who have experience in these trips.

We are thinking of staying for 5 days excluding flight. I am not sure if that is enough to cover the place plus catching the aurora. We are also thinking of basing in the capital and to take tours out everyday. Not sure if that is a good ideas or is there any other good suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
    I think w Children and MIL, staying in the city and catching tours is probably the best bet. Tour agencies want to avoid disappointment and get more return/ referred customers, so they will do a minimum good job. This would be your best bet considering the children and MIL.

I caught the Northern Lights in Alaska, Fairbanks. Met many group tours there. They brought people to the safest place to see the lights. And the tour buses were warm and comfortable. And yes, they caught the lights. To get a little better camera angle, you may need to rough it out, hike and face the cold which is not ideal for people w families.

In Iceland that i went, i didnt go there for the northern lights. I would say the outskirts are more deserted. A tour agency is again recommended when you have children and MIL.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.
    go see www. Incredible Travel Photos.com Organiser is Oliver Klink & Hasselblad USA. I went with them and enjoyable indeed. We caught the Northern Lights despite hearing of disappointments and complaints from others at the Hilton from clients of 3 tour groups ,some went to the Blue lagoon. Best bet is the open space,conveniently located to Golffoss ,Beach etc and hotel has private land of more than a hectare.We could see the start of the Auros - faint from 10pm , just walking out of our rooms. Ideal for family and kids whilst if adventouress than drive out in 4X4 less than a mile,wind speed is more than 80km and temp 5 Degrees in autumn. Email Oliver for details- just mention my name Dennis-Singapore. am going back again in Nov 2013

Thanks for your reply Jacephoto and duke 8448. I think I will follow your suggestions. By the way, need your opinion on what is good lens for taking the lights. I would be bringing my D7000 .I have a sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6 but not sure if the aperture is large enuff for the northern light. Alternatively I have a Nikon 24-70 F2.8 not sure which would be a better lens for the lights as well as the general scenery. If I can get a D800E by then I may bring that along too.

Duke8448 when in nov are you going???

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by duke8448 View Post
    go see www. Incredible Travel Photos.com Organiser is Oliver Klink & Hasselblad USA. I went with them and enjoyable indeed. We caught the Northern Lights despite hearing of disappointments and complaints from others at the Hilton from clients of 3 tour groups ,some went to the Blue lagoon. Best bet is the open space,conveniently located to Golffoss ,Beach etc and hotel has private land of more than a hectare.We could see the start of the Auros - faint from 10pm , just walking out of our rooms. Ideal for family and kids whilst if adventouress than drive out in 4X4 less than a mile,wind speed is more than 80km and temp 5 Degrees in autumn. Email Oliver for details- just mention my name Dennis-Singapore. am going back again in Nov 2013
    Hi duke8448, could you give me the hotel whereby we could see the aurora from the hotel. That sounds like a good idea for family with children and old folks.

Thanks for your reply Jacephoto and duke 8448. I think I will follow your suggestions. By the way, need your opinion on what is good lens for taking the lights. I would be bringing my D7000 .I have a sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6 but not sure if the aperture is large enuff for the northern light. Alternatively I have a Nikon 24-70 F2.8 not sure which would be a better lens for the lights as well as the general scenery. If I can get a D800E by then I may bring that along too.

Duke8448 when in nov are you going???

Thanks in advance
    Hi, just vary your settings to the following:
    F2.8
    25 seconds
    ISO 1600

Try not to go above ISO 1600 or it gets too grainy. Not below ISO 800 or the Aurora would be blurred.

I used an old Nikon AFD 20 mm F2.8. Costs about SGD 550 - 650 used.

Bring a small torch ( w red filter). Because it has to be viewed in darkness, you need a torch to arrange your camera settings. W the red filter, you cut down on annoying lights and be a civic minded photographer

[IMG] JT1_1332-1 text by 1000words.com.sg, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

Hi jack photo,

Thank you for your advice. I guess I would use my 24-70 F2.8 primarily and have the sigma 12-24 F4.5-5.6 as back up. Many thanks

Hi! I am still a newbie to this forum but here is my take on Iceland.

I was there about a month ago and unfortunately no Northern Lights, thought the scenery is breathtaking still! I was there for just 3 fulls days and stayed in Reykjavik and traveled out to sightseeing places. BUT I feel that had we not base ourselves in Reykjavik, we would have seen more stuff. I feel that renting a car and traveling along the way gives you time to explore the city rather than go back to the city center every night. The beauty of Iceland is its changing scenery. The north of Iceland and the South of Iceland looks very different but they are pretty far away from Reykjavik, like a couple of hours drive up and down. So chances or you spending more time on the road rather than looking at scenery is pretty high.

So my suggestion would be to rent a car and drive at your own time but not park yourself in one place.

Hi Sara86T
    Thanks for your advice. we are doing a staying in the south for 3D2N and then doing the golden circle and then return to Reykjavik. It is a private tour with a guide so hopefully could see more as the daylight is short and hopefully to catch a glimpse of the aurora.

I am going there during nov as well. It will be my first time there and will be signing up a tour with a local operator.

Hi Linus , I thought of going to iceland in nov too. Which tour operator are you joining and where will your starting base be?

good luck guys. It depends on your luck really. i went in Reykjavik for 5D4N earlier on this year in March, where it was supposedly the peak of the cycle. True enough there was a solar storm (8 Kp)the day right before ive arrived!

- First night I got clear sky but not a good show. (Low Kp)
    - Second night weather forecast too cloudy (No tour operators ran that night)
    - Third night, most cancelled their tours except for one. It was a good show except that was crazy cloudy!

I f2.8 would definitely help. personally i used the 11-16 f2.8 tokina on my d7000.

like what a previous forummer said, bring a torch light with red filter or simply a bicycle light. dont spoil your night vision and of others too!

Iceland has plenty to see, enjoy the day and pray for the best at night!

Blog Entries

I am thinking of going to Lapland instead

Quote Originally Posted by jenfaith View Post
    Hi Linus , I thought of going to iceland in nov too. Which tour operator are you joining and where will your starting base be?
    I am looking at tour.is. Thinking of taking one of their self drive tour around the Ring Road. Probably a 8-9 day trip.

Heard about this thread from my buddy. We will be going Iceland from 2 Nov to 9 Nov self drive with base camp at Reykjavik. If you are in Iceland during the same period, perhaps we could exchange number to provide support to each other over there when needed. Thereafter will be 3 days R&R in London. hehe.

Iceland is one of the most beautiful places i have ever visited... self drive is well worth it.

I just got back from a summer holiday in Iceland and I would highly recommend you to visit the South Coast on top of the mandatory trip to the Golden Circle!

Some places to visit on a self-drive trip down to the South Coast would be Dyrholaey, where you'd be able to find a sea-arch and is home to a puffin colony (only in summer). Another suggestion would be Landmannalaugar, the colourful mountain range but such colours may be hidden by snow.

You can drop by the popular waterfalls of Seljalandfoss and Skogafoss on a drive down the South Coast.

Basically, you would be spoilt for choice looking at activities and places to visit in Iceland! A cheaper rental company would be Blue Car Rental in Iceland | Rent at KEF Airport or in Reykjavik | Blue Car Rental Iceland that is located about 300 metres outside the departure hall in Keflavic Airport.

Another fun suggestion would be to go on a SuperJeep tour! It's really awesome and fun and is something different from a self-drive. It also gets you to places that you would hard-pressed to get to either because of lack of ability (difficult to navigate F-roads in winter and icy conditions) or lack of knowledge.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91482826@N03/9446211730/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/9148282...n/photostream/
    Last edited by tadimon; 6th August 2013 at 01:54 AM.

yea iceland
    Its a must go place for landscape lovers~

Hi all,

Visiting iceland in early sept. Hoping to catch the northern light too.

Which lens do you all suggest? Planning to purchase one before my trip. After reading some blog online, seems like it is a must to have at least f/2.8 with wide field on view.

Thinking of getting either canon17-55 f/2.8 or sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4
    Canon 550D 18-55mm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast