Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should I get the Sony A65?

Default Re: Should I get the Sony A65?

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually... I am not sure why everyone is knocking on Wangshawn? It is in our rights (as long as we are truthful) in asking about the promotion or freebies to a shop. Because all of us wanted the most out of the money we spent. Sure, if we keep haggling and making a nuisance out of ourselves, then we are asking to be kicked in the butt and frankly that is not needed for... however if it is a simple question, "Do you give the promoted freebies?" if the answer is no, sometime it is normal to ask, "But why? Other shops give what." That doesn't warrant for the salesperson to retort to the answer he/she gave Wangshawn, is it that difficult to just say, "well. Sorry, we don't because the promotion ended? I believe other shops did gave the stuff because it was left over."

Well... I talk to Cathay Photo before when wanting to buy a Gitzo tripod, they didn't give me this attitude, I am in sales before when I am much younger and I never did that to my customers. So I don't think it is fair to call wangshawn "auntie", "ah soh", or whatever. What we are asking for is for a better service.
    when you are in this store, you have every rights to know what are they are selling,

but asking them to sell the same as what other shops are offering you, that is a different story.

My personal experience;
    when I have some enquiries about my services asking me why I charge some much and don't give all high resolution images, so and so is offering them this and that.
    so what these people want me to do? slash my price, give away all my profits just get customers like these? NO WAY!
    these people only interested to pay little get many, so best way is to direct them to whoever can offering them what they want.

customers are spending their spare cash, stores/photographers are trying to make a living to feed their families.
    if they still don't get the picture.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    when you are in this store, you have every rights to know what are they are selling,

but asking them to sell the same as what other shops are offering you, that is a different story.

My personal experience;
    when I have some enquiries about my services asking me why I charge some much and don't give all high resolution images, so and so is offering them this and that.
    so what these people want me to do? slash my price, give away all my profits just get customers like these? NO WAY!
    these people only interested to pay little get many, so best way is to direct them to whoever can offering them what they want.

customers are spending their spare cash, stores/photographers are trying to make a living to feed their families.
    if they still don't get the picture.
    Yes, I agree with you. But what I am getting at is... lets say Shop A sell a camera with X, Y and Z freebies while Shop B sell a camera with only X and Y freebies... and to make things simple, they sell the camera at the same price. When I went into Shop B to get the camera, I find that they didn't give me the Z freebies, it would be natural for me to ask, "Why no Z freebies? Shop A give that freebies leh." Of course I am not expecting Shop B to give the freebies, just a simple question. That doesn't warrant a retort, right?

As for for your example, if I am a customer, it is natural for us customer to compare shops for the service you have provided. To say the true, I as a customer do not know how good you are when I started out, unless I am already a customer of yours and know your skills and technique and know that although charged abit higher, I can still get the result I wanted and loved. But if I am a new or potential customer who do not know all these, of course I would ask.

There really is no crime for a customer to ask, it is up to the service provider to sell the service wor... at least that is what my boss teach me when I am in sales many years ago.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Yes, I agree with you. But what I am getting at is... lets say Shop A sell a camera with X, Y and Z freebies while Shop B sell a camera with only X and Y freebies... and to make things simple, they sell the camera at the same price. When I went into Shop B to get the camera, I find that they didn't give me the Z freebies, it would be natural for me to ask, "Why no Z freebies? Shop A give that freebies leh." Of course I am not expecting Shop B to give the freebies, just a simple question. That doesn't warrant a retort, right?

As for for your example, if I am a customer, it is natural for us customer to compare shops for the service you have provided. To say the true, I as a customer do not know how good you are when I started out, unless I am already a customer of yours and know your skills and technique and know that although charged abit higher, I can still get the result I wanted and loved. But if I am a new or potential customer who do not know all these, of course I would ask.

There really is no crime for a customer to ask, it is up to the service provider to sell the service wor... at least that is what my boss teach me when I am in sales many years ago.
    when the information already given, if customers is still unclear, can always ask for clarification;

Customer: "any freebie?"

Storekeeper: "Nope"

Customer: "Why?"

Storekeeper: "Promotion is over."

Customer: "So noting to give liao?"

Storekeeper: "Yes, that is correct."

Customer: "But other stores are still giving freebies"

Not sure can what you see from this?

FYI, unlike most photographers, what I want to do and all my price are listed on my site.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    when the information already given, if customers is still unclear, can always ask for clarification;

Customer: "any freebie?"

Storekeeper: "Nope"

Customer: "Why?"

Storekeeper: "Promotion is over."

Customer: "So noting to give liao?"

Storekeeper: "Yes, that is correct."

Customer: "But other stores are still giving freebies"

Not sure can what you see from this?

FYI, unlike most photographers, what I want to do and all my price are listed on my site.
    Well... this is my final words in this matter. I remember one or two years ago when I bought my Gitzo tripod from Cathay Photo and that is what I call good service... a service that I would recommend and would confirmed go back if I need a product.

Me: "I want this tripod XYZ, can give me a quote and availability?"
    CP: "S$1XXX."
    Me: "Wow... but shop XX Foto charge this price." (show CP the e-quote), "Can match?"

(At this point CP never call me to go and get from XX Foto)

CP: "Well get back to you later."

later date, CP check with their distributor to Gitzo tripod and come back to me on phone,

CP: "Ok. I have talk to my distributor, they said that XX Foto only get that price because of an old promotion some time ago, it is a leftover... now the price is S$1XXX. However since XX Foto are selling you this price, I will match it, I will give you a better price. But there is no stock at the moment, you might need to wait for a couple of days. I will call you when your tripod arrive. So to you want to place an order?"

Me: "Sure. Thank you so much."

CP: "No problem. Thanks for your business."

Now... as a customer, I of course hope to get the best bang out of my buck. So it is normal for me to ask for discount or freebies from the shop. Like the story above (which by the way is a true story), Shop A ask for XXXX for my tripod, shop B is cheaper. So I ask shop A if they could match. Well... they can say, no, sorry. I would not bother them and get it from Shop B, no problem, no hard feeling, nothing... there is no need for rude remarks like, "Then get from Shop B le."

When customer ask for something even if prices are listed or what, that doesn't necessary mean they want discount. Some didn't read and jump straight to asking for whatever reasons, not that when customer ask for something means they are trying to haggle... it might just be they are curious, they are interested, or whatever.

When I am in sales (Hockhua Birdnest to be precise), we have quite a number of competitors at that time... and I have to deal with customers coming into the shop everyday wanting to buy my company's product, but always saying, "Well... XYZ shop is selling this scallots at 50cent cheaper. Why can't you do that?" well... my response is always, "Aunty. My scallots are from XXX countries, it is bigger. If you want a cheaper ones, may I direct you to this one? The main difference of this is that it is from YYY country and a bit smaller when compare to the first one you see."... well most of the time my customer walks away happy. There really is no need to tell the customer, "Then go to XYZ shop lor."
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Thanks for the understanding of rhino and sorry for bring troubles if any. I post my whole story here and hope to clarify.
    First, I saw this sony A65 discussion thread and know Cathy have promotions with freebies same as those Sony's. Definitely I want to call shops and compared for the best deal. I called Alan, TK, John, SLRR. They told me promotion is for last month. I said other shops still have. They just replied " sorry. We can't".
    Then, my friend recommended ms color. Since I will go to A.M.Q afternoon, I called to them to ask for the price. Then I got the reply as I posted.
    I don't know anything wrong. I think those question me may never bargain. But as far for me, buyer can compare and ask for best price. If seller can't accept, just say can't.
    You can reject. No need to be rude to a potential buyer. I must say most shops are kind but not all.
    Last edited by wangshawn; 18th July 2013 at 01:21 PM.

Since only one person here has actually heard the tone and not even seen the facial expression of the sales staff the discussion is somewhat pointless. The statement "Then please go to this shop" can be given in so many way and can be interpreted in even more different ways so that it makes no sense to argue here till the cow comes home. Secondly, it becomes obvious that different shops have different suppliers and follow different conditions (which are given by distributor / vendor!), there is no point arguing why shops xx can give a certain price that shop yy cannot match. The example if a tripod for $1k+ is a bit out of proportion here, since it's not the same as a consumer camera for mass market for $1k. Let's put the emotions aside and the silly attitude of "I am entitled to the best deal wherever I go". Humble pie and politeness go a long way, regardless on which side of the shop counter.
    EOS

Wangshan

Eternit started this thread asking about the title subject.

You have hijacked it and turned it into something else and destroyed it, forum etiquette dictates you start your own thread for a different subject (after searching previous posts).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12