Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My harddisk crashes :(

Originally posted by Falcon
    No partition. All gone. Need to start afresh.
    Ouch. That surely hurts.

Your "click, click" problem is the same problem I had with my IBM HDD. Too bad you only had a single partition.

If you have a spare HDD, I suggest you set it to Master, and set your WD HDD as slave. Then check whether you'd be able to access your WD HDD. If cannot, try some disk utilities and check it again.

:Later,

Can someone kindly tell me how to install the new harddisk? I AM totally new to this kind of this. What are the steps involved? Pls explain in layman terms. You can email me at mchua111@hotmail.com. Thank you.

qhelix
    Guests

I'm just wondering if my IBM HD is still under warranty and I send it in for servicing, will they be able to recover the data?

Originally posted by qhelix
    I'm just wondering if my IBM HD is still under warranty and I send it in for servicing, will they be able to recover the data?
    easy , go to this site

http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/...31.jsp?ibmer=0

and type in ur HDD serial number ... u can check whether it is still under warranty
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by megaweb

easy , go to this site

http://www.storage.ibm.com/warranty/...31.jsp?ibmer=0

and type in ur HDD serial number ... u can check whether it is still under warranty
    What i meant was, my HD is under warrenty. What I was wondering was if I esnd in my HD will they be able to recover the data, but after looking around I saw that they didn't...I am sooo depressed now...havent any of you tried data recovery before? What was your experience like? I feel I lost something very important to me, and in a way I have...bummer...

What i meant was, my HD is under warrenty. What I was wondering was if I esnd in my HD will they be able to recover the data, but after looking around I saw that they didn't...I am sooo depressed now...havent any of you tried data recovery before? What was your experience like? I feel I lost something very important to me, and in a way I have...bummer...
    Yr harddisk crashed as well?

qhelix
    Guests

Yr harddisk crashed as well?
    Yeah man...found out abt a week ago...I hate IBM...next time I'm getting a Quantum...

No. They don't do the any data-recovery services. In fact, the *remind* you to clear off any data in your HDD before sending them for RMA.

Yeah man...found out abt a week ago...I hate IBM...next time I'm getting a Quantum...
    Quantum? Still got?

Anyway, the 75GXP model of IBM seem to had lots of problem. Is that the same model you have? Mine was. I sent my 30GB HDD for RMA, and got a 40GB HDD instead. So far, it's running smoothly.

Can someone kindly tell me how to install the new harddisk? I AM totally new to this kind of this. What are the steps involved? Pls explain in layman terms. You can email me at mchua111@hotmail.com. Thank you.
    You will have to provide the brand and model of the HDD liao.

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by Pinoy
    No. They don't do the any data-recovery services. In fact, the *remind* you to clear off any data in your HDD before sending them for RMA.

Well, I'd clear the data if I could in the first place. As for the type of HD, I dunno whether mine is 75GXP or not...tried looking all over the HD but they don't mention it.

Well, I'd clear the data if I could in the first place. As for the type of HD, I dunno whether mine is 75GXP or not...tried looking all over the HD but they don't mention it.
    Try running Drive Fitness Test. If its reports any problem on your HDD, send it for RMA quick.

Hope you'll get a bigger hard drive in return.

qhelix
    Guests

Originally posted by Pinoy
    Try running Drive Fitness Test. If its reports any problem on your HDD, send it for RMA quick.

Hope you'll get a bigger hard drive in return.

Don't think I can use that. As stated earlier I can't even detect the HD...just keeps making this click click beep noise...and that doesn't sound good at all.

Don't think I can use that. As stated earlier I can't even detect the HD...just keeps making this click click beep noise...and that doesn't sound good at all.
    Mine was able to be detected, but was making that clunking, choo-choo train noise as well.

Anyway, just try. No harm in trying, right? Besides, IBM recommends that you run the DFT app against your HDD before sending it for RMA anyway

try reposition your harddisk different way,
    either horizontaly or verticaly.

Fro my experience, sometimes the gravity will help reposition the hd head.

Then you can quickly backup everything you have, before sending it for repair.

Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12