Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Panerai?

Default Re: Anyone into Panerai?

Quote Originally Posted by Agetan View Post
    wah... doing architectural photography do make a lot of money... think i m in the wrong genre.
    Photography is not my only source of income

Quote Originally Posted by Dfive View Post
    Rich man !! Just dont drop it.... the case will crack and case cost is prone $4000 - 7000 to replace !
    I know! I did find out how much it costs to replace the casing before I decided on the 441

and I quote an interesting one from Watch Snob..... Guess I'll have to "face it".....

Itís not a Rolex thing. Itís a web forum thing. Letís face it: People who render strong opinions on most online forums are doing it because no one will listen to them out in the real world, the anonymity breeding boldness. Also, itís no coincidence that you found this vitriol on a Rolex forum since the companyís watches seems to attract a disproportionate number of insecure little people trying to raise their stature through a brand name. Put those people on a web forum, and itís a perfect storm of insecurity, anonymity and unchecked egos. Donít take it personally. Trust me on this.

Read more: Tissot Watches - AskMen

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I know! I did find out how much it costs to replace the casing before I decided on the 441
    I am sure you love the matt finishing of the ceramic more than the PVD ones (which gives a slight shine). The matt finishing of the case goes very well with the sandwich dial and the leather strap. Absolutely gorgeous watch you have!
    D200

and I quote an interesting one from Watch Snob..... Guess I'll have to "face it".....

It’s not a Rolex thing. It’s a web forum thing. Let’s face it: People who render strong opinions on most online forums are doing it because no one will listen to them out in the real world, the anonymity breeding boldness. Also, it’s no coincidence that you found this vitriol on a Rolex forum since the company’s watches seems to attract a disproportionate number of insecure little people trying to raise their stature through a brand name. Put those people on a web forum, and it’s a perfect storm of insecurity, anonymity and unchecked egos. Don’t take it personally. Trust me on this.

Read more: Tissot Watches - AskMen
    Ouch! That must have hurt quite a number of Rolex owners. Equally as common as these Rolex owning insecure little people, I notice there is also a group of people who displayed disproportionate amount of negativity towards Rolex, for some reasons unknown to me. Maybe its just tit-for-tat or the pot calling the kettle black.

Back to the topic, good choice to get a ceramic model.

I have a small wrist 6.5" and I own a Pam base000 with DLC coating. That is probably the biggest watch my wrist can carry without looking like I'm wearing a clock. My next Panerai will probably be a Radiomir as I think its profile will fit better on a small wrist.

Quote Originally Posted by ray_stinger View Post
    Ouch! That must have hurt quite a number of Rolex owners. Equally as common as these Rolex owning insecure little people, I notice there is also a group of people who displayed disproportionate amount of negativity towards Rolex, for some reasons unknown to me. Maybe its just tit-for-tat or the pot calling the kettle black.

I have a small wrist 6.5" and I own a Pam base000 with DLC coating. That is probably the biggest watch my wrist can carry without looking like I'm wearing a clock. My next Panerai will probably be a Radiomir as I think its profile will fit better on a small wrist.
    Can I kindly check your experience with the DLC coating? Does it stand the test of time?
    D200

Hai, those who diss off Rolex are just snobs. You got to admire them for being THE biggest producer of watch movements and parts not acquired by any large organisation ie Richemont, LVMH etc.
    And seriously, they do not look as Ah Pek as people claim. It's just a stigma cause most of their parents loved it.
    Back then buying a Rolex was a sign that you have "made it" in life. Of course we know now that watches dont dictate our self worth but hey, whats wrong with buying something you like to reward yourself. Just dont get into huge debt you cant pay off for it.
    Canon 7D + Canon 24-105mmL , 17-55mm F2.8, 10-22mm.

Seriously cant believe I am discussing watch stuff on a photography forum lol
    Canon 7D + Canon 24-105mmL , 17-55mm F2.8, 10-22mm.

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    Can I kindly check your experience with the DLC coating? Does it stand the test of time?
    So far so good. I bought it pre-owned from Timeless Boutique at Sunshine Plaza 2 years back. Still going strong without any scratches, but I wear it in rotation so it has not seen much wrist time.
    Was told that DLC is supposedly better than PVD which can be scratched easily.

I am sure you love the matt finishing of the ceramic more than the PVD ones (which gives a slight shine). The matt finishing of the case goes very well with the sandwich dial and the leather strap. Absolutely gorgeous watch you have!
    Thanks. Like Dfive said, ceramic is brittle and doesn't take impact(drops) well. Although its more scratch resistant than steel, it can still get scratched and you can't polish it off. That's the catch with ceramic.

He can have his views but lacks grace, escalating that to personal attacks and stereotyping a group of people for what they choose to purchase.

So far so good. I bought it pre-owned from Timeless Boutique at Sunshine Plaza 2 years back. Still going strong without any scratches, but I wear it in rotation so it has not seen much wrist time.
    Was told that DLC is supposedly better than PVD which can be scratched easily.
    Is there a DLC treated PAM 000? Or was yours done by someone else?

He can have his views but lacks grace, escalating that to personal attacks and stereotyping a group of people for what they choose to purchase.
    I think it's for entertainment la.

If the "Watch Snob" (just look at the name) was very graceful in his criticisms and responses he would be a boring read. Just imagine American Idol with 4 Paula Abduls...

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

If the "Watch Snob" (just look at the name) was very graceful in his criticisms and responses he would be a boring read. Just imagine American Idol with 4 Paula Abduls...
    From the following extract, one must understand that Watch Snob's articles shall be read with a pinch of salt.

"There are plenty of brands that most people consider “high-end” that, while I respect, simply aren’t superlative in any way: IWC, Vacheron, Piaget, and Zenith all make nice watches, but they are meaningless.

Then there are watches that only the uneducated and simpleminded believe to be luxury watches. This distinction goes to Hublot and Panerai, of course. Anyone who buys these watches is a fool, and both companies will shut their doors before I turn 40 -- you can count on that.
    "

Read more: here
    D200

Is there a DLC treated PAM 000? Or was yours done by someone else?
    Not from OEM. It was already done by a 3rd party when I bought it.

From the following extract, one must understand that Watch Snob's articles shall be read with a pinch of salt.

"There are plenty of brands that most people consider ďhigh-endĒ that, while I respect, simply arenít superlative in any way: IWC, Vacheron, Piaget, and Zenith all make nice watches, but they are meaningless.

Then there are watches that only the uneducated and simpleminded believe to be luxury watches. This distinction goes to Hublot and Panerai, of course. Anyone who buys these watches is a fool, and both companies will shut their doors before I turn 40-- you can count on that.
    "

Read more: here
    How old is he now? 8?

Not from OEM. It was already done by a 3rd party when I bought it.
    It seems like a good alternative to PVD or even ceramic. Especially if the process is reversible. Don't know if that will void the warranty though.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post

Simon actually made a lot of sense!

Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Hmm i dont wear any watches..because i dont like to have things that are "tied" onto me.
    However, sometimes i do look at watches..hmm i always prefer IWC watches over the rest. but most of them are all too big for me and needless to say..too costly for me to afford also.
    Maybe in another 10 years time? hmm..
    so no wife or girl friend then.... ? Just mistress... wahahaha !
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

How do I attach pictures?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast