Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Panerai?

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I think he just thinks the brand is overpriced, which is subjective, I guess. Just like you think that Hublot is overpriced. He's fun to read anyways - kind of like how Simon Cowell is fun to watch on American Idol. He puts a lot of emphasis on in-house movement which probably explains why he doesn't think so highly about Panerai which IIRC only started doing that in recent times. Comparatively, Lange has been doing it for far longer.
    Yes, it's a matter of opinion. Some people actually prefer proven movement over Panerai's relatively new in-house ones. Technically, movement supplied to Panerai are CSOC certified and are tested with tighter parameters than Panerai does with their own.

I agree that at times the heart will take over and other opinion meant little if you were to consider everything, you might end up not getting anything.

Default Re: Anyone into Panerai?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    I work in construction so if I can have a tan, I would have gotten it already For some reason, I cannot get a tan. My skin will only go pinkish red under the sun.

I was looking at specific Panerai models. The watch must have arabic numerals. I was looking at the 00359 but decided not to get stainless steel model as they can be easily scratched. I can be quite rough on watches. The 00441 is in a ceramic case which is more hard wearing. Something which I noticed only after buying the 00441 is that the matt black casing actually appears smaller than the other stainless steel or oro rosso casings. Its also less flashy. Unless you know your Panerai, its quite difficult to spot from a distance.
    Actually no, the matt black appears smaller in in the shop against the black satin plate, or in the box against the black pillow. The stainless steel ones will appear smaller on your wrist as it reflects your skin color or clothes color.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

That's why must get those with see through backs!

Boutique editions don't interest me though.
    If we have to rely on transparent casebacks to get our peace of mind, the whole thing about owning a luxurious watch becomes very pathetic. Besides paying for R&D and material, I think buyers also pay for legacy, brand and quality. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Panerai is not a good watchmaker. Just that they have to prove they are worth what buyers have paid for for their watches.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Actually no, the matt black appears smaller in in the shop against the black satin plate, or in the box against the black pillow. The stainless steel ones will appear smaller on your wrist as it reflects your skin color or clothes color.
    I've worn a few stainless steel PAMs belonging to my friend and we both agree that the black casing appears smaller. Then again, its perception and opinion I guess.
    Last edited by Kit; 25th June 2013 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    If we have to rely on transparent casebacks to get our peace of mind, the whole thing about owning a luxurious watch becomes very pathetic. Besides paying for R&D and material, I think buyers also pay for legacy, brand and quality. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Panerai is not a good watchmaker. Just that they have to prove they are worth what buyers have paid for for their watches.
    As mentioned before, "worth" is subjective. If you like it that much, then there isn't much they have to do to prove their worth to you. If you don't like them, they probably won't be able to convince you regardless of what they do/make.

Jaeger-LeCoultre anyone? Every night I cry holding the catalogue to sleep. BTW, to the kind and generous rich souls. My birthday is in January

Last edited by ManWearPants; 25th June 2013 at 09:34 PM.

For that watch to fall into your lap from a stranger here, it must be one hell of a rich stranger man!
    And if it helps, I cry myself to sleep too with a Rolex and Panerai catalogue. Either will do and rich guys dont need a reason to buy gifts heh.
    Canon 7D + Canon 24-105mmL , 17-55mm F2.8, 10-22mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post
    Jaeger-LeCoultre anyone? Every night I cry holding the catalogue to sleep. BTW, to the kind and generous rich souls. My birthday is in January
    Me! I quite admire Jaeger-LeCoultre, as mentioned earlier. I favor their ultra-thin models, as well as their dress watches.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by philipfeng View Post
    For that watch to fall into your lap from a stranger here, it must be one hell of a rich stranger man!
    And if it helps, I cry myself to sleep too with a Rolex and Panerai catalogue. Either will do and rich guys dont need a reason to buy gifts heh.
    I like watches when they have a story to tell... Ideally a personal one, such as to commemorate certain success, or an heirloom handed down from a loved one. It doesn't has to be expensive or elaborate, but rich in meaning. I have some watches that are fairly inexpensive but mean a lot more than my more expensive collection.

And oh, while I really admire watch complications, I really won't want to wear some terribly exquisite and expensive such as the Jaeger Le-Coultre Master Grande Tradition Gyrotoubillion 3 Jubilee as shown earlier... The high price tag aside (>US$300,000), it is highly impractical to wear it... Way to thick and heavy... Looks great in a display case though!
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

I've read that before but didn't think much of it. Not because he didn't like Panerai. He seemed so caught up with dissing Panerai for not being what it claimed to be and how great a Lange is. He has forgotten that both Officine Panerai and Lange & Söhne are owned by the same company

Compagnie Financière Richemont SA - Our Businesses
    I follow the Watch Snob, and if you read his columns, he insists that Richemont SA was being silly acquiring Officine Panerai.

In any case, I think Richemont SA is pretty much a holding company that hunts for profits - anything for the money, really. Brands and other assets can easily be sold the next day if the price is right. Quite a history... from tobacco in South Africa to a luxury giant that can, astutely, go toe to toe with the giants.

They have tapped on synergies of the brands before - Jaeger Le-Coultre for their expertise in watch movements, and Cartier as their cash cow... Doubtlessly, the revival of A Lange & Sohne, which I admire as well, was highly reliant on the funding of Richemont SA (through IWC).

That said, I think each house will have to develop their own distinct character and brand identity, and support from the other brands can be limited.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by kandinsky View Post
    That's COV-level money...

If I ever splurge on a watch, it'd probably be a Junghans.

(photos not mine)
    Nice line... I like...

Howdy folks!

Got bitten by the Panerai bug recently. Got the PAM 00441 2 weeks ago and am loving it! I was looking at a few others before deciding on this and the AD got it for me within a week. Ao anyone here into these as well? Excuse me for the bad snapshot.

wah... doing architectural photography do make a lot of money... think i m in the wrong genre.

Howdy folks!

Got bitten by the Panerai bug recently. Got the PAM 00441 2 weeks ago and am loving it! I was looking at a few others before deciding on this and the AD got it for me within a week. Ao anyone here into these as well? Excuse me for the bad snapshot.

Rich man !! Just dont drop it.... the case will crack and case cost is prone $4000 - 7000 to replace !
    Last edited by Dfive; 25th June 2013 at 10:39 PM.
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

Wow, nice to see so many photography lovers who are also watch lovers too!

Am into watches too. Love IWCs and Breitlings to bits but cant say the same abt Pams, except maybe for the Radiomirs.

Like Blur Shadow, watches with a rich history or a story behind them interests me. Like why are Big Pilots made they way they are, that early Rolex Daytonas used Zenith's El Primero movements.

And then there is Urwerk. These are not just watches, they are a work of art, science and some insanity, all rolled into one. I'd hug its catalogue to sleep everynite if my wifey lets me!

Quote "time is too precious to be read off a cheap watch" unquote. A good enuf excuse for me to splurge on a nice watch once in a while....a long long while.

So...whats on your wrist today? Mine was a Breitling Superocean GMT.

Quote Originally Posted by renaissance_myth

IIRC PAM used to use Rolex movements in their watches, and those versions are quite sought after.
    And Rolex Daytonas used to use Zenith movements, and those are quite sought after......wahaha

Hmm i dont wear any watches..because i dont like to have things that are "tied" onto me.
    However, sometimes i do look at watches..hmm i always prefer IWC watches over the rest. but most of them are all too big for me and needless to say..too costly for me to afford also.
    Maybe in another 10 years time? hmm..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ManWearPants View Post

JLC... I love it. Got one as a gift. Very very nice... But the one u pictured.. that one is not very friendly to the bank account.
    Last edited by daredevil123; 25th June 2013 at 11:25 PM.

The only JLC line I like is their reversos. Timeless classic

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    The only JLC line I like is their reversos. Timeless classic
    No doubt about that. A real classic. A marvel too... For the Reverso Duo... To have the same movement running both dials...
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    I follow the Watch Snob, and if you read his columns, he insists that Richemont SA was being silly acquiring Officine Panerai.

In any case, I think Richemont SA is pretty much a holding company that hunts for profits - anything for the money, really. Brands and other assets can easily be sold the next day if the price is right. Quite a history... from tobacco in South Africa to a luxury giant that can, astutely, go toe to toe with the giants.

They have tapped on synergies of the brands before - Jaeger Le-Coultre for their expertise in watch movements, and Cartier as their cash cow... Doubtlessly, the revival of A Lange & Sohne, which I admire as well, was highly reliant on the funding of Richemont SA (through IWC).

That said, I think each house will have to develop their own distinct character and brand identity, and support from the other brands can be limited.
    Got to admit, I've never really read his articles because his website doesn't seem to appear on the search engines often. I did read about the ones on Panerai because someone directed them to me. Just like Ken Rockwell and Paul Pluto (ArchieLuxury), I read/watch them to kill time. At times, it does make me wonder if what they've said are mainly to generate more traffic(and more advertisement revenue) to their sites. This is especially so when they are targetting the popular brands and at times contradictions surfaced. I think having Watch Snob as a handle says a few things.

Looking at Richemont's portfolio, its not difficult to figure out that they are acquiring a variety of brands to cover different brackets of the market. Watch Snob seems to have issues with Stowa and Panerai but is fine with Lange? or is he saying that Richemont is not milking the Lange brand name? Either way, its his view.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast