Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone into Panerai?

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post

I'm on the horology forums as well but I thought it would be nice to find a few photographers who happen to like Panerais as well.
    I think I recognize several members who use the same nicks in both the horology forums and ClubSnap.

Im also into watches, but not Panerai. Makes I favor include Jaeger Le-Coultre and IWC, although I usually favor a specific model that interests me, rather than the brand.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Quote Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
    Pams are too common, sad to say. Every Raffles place banker dude has one ( as well as a couple of rolexes, iwc, ap, Cartier ..)
    That's the usual criticism of Panerai. To be fair, there are several people in the finance industry that have fairly large egos (I was in the finance industry for a while. Front office, where the biggest egos are, typically. Haha!), and the brands favored by these folks are Omega, Rolex and Panerai.

Panerai is also criticized for the lack of heritage and in-house innovation. I know of the history, back in the days where they were used by the Italian military, but it really isn't much when compared to the other makes, especially since they have been buying movements from suppliers for much of their existence.

Nonetheless, I think the choice of a watch is a reflection of your personal tastes and the image you wish to portray. Some think a Panerai looks great, while others think it is a fad. I think as long as you like it, I wouldn't let all these "passionate" discussions discourage you.
    Last edited by Blur Shadow; 25th June 2013 at 02:48 PM.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

Default Re: Anyone into Panerai?

Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    nice watch Panerai's a no nonsense brand that really emphasizes on mechanical beauty and of course, durability.
    Try googling "PAM 318 unfinished movement" or click here to see it for yourself.

I used to like Panerai watches but after years of exposure to the world horology, I learned that with the same amount of money, I probably can buy better watches. Nonetheless, there are a few PAM models that still interest me though.
    D200

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    That's the usual criticism of Panerai. To be fair, there are several people in the finance industry that have fairly large egos (I was in the finance industry for a while. Front office, where the biggest egos are, typically. Haha!), and the brands favored by these folks are Omega, Rolex and Panerai.

Panerai is also criticized for the lack of heritage and in-house innovation. I know of the history, back in the days where they were used by the Italian military, but it really isn't much when compared to the other makes, especially since they have been buying movements from suppliers for much of their existence.

Nonetheless, I think the choice of a watch is a reflection of your personal tastes and the image you wish to portray. Some think a Panerai looks great, while others think it is a fad. I think as long as you like it, I wouldn't let all these "passionate" discussions discourage you.
    haha, tell me about it! I was formerly working in the treasury dept where the holy grail was the tourbillon watches (not those china made types). Think i was the only guy (and still am) who wears retro digital watches or vintage bulovas (cos i love the humming of the tuning fork).

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post

I don't know how people defines heritage. Age? Panerai's history dates back to 1860 and they were making watches and instrument for the military. This remained so until 1995 when Panerai was first made available to the general public. This could possibly explain the perception of "lack of heritage". People don't really know them until less than 20 years ago. There are watches which have a much shorter history but are being sold at a premium. Hublot comes to mind.

The Panerai design had been revived ever since it was bought over. It could be a fad. Only time will tell. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying mine

Quote Originally Posted by bruggink View Post
    Try googling "PAM 318 unfinished movement" or click here to see it for yourself.

I used to like Panerai watches but after years of exposure to the world horology, I learned that with the same amount of money, I probably can buy better watches. Nonetheless, there are a few PAM models that still interest me though.
    That's why must get those with see through backs!

Boutique editions don't interest me though.

Do you know who's the R&D team behind Hublot that make them premium?

I don't know how people defines heritage. Age? Panerai's history dates back to 1860 and they were making watches and instrument for the military. This remained so until 1995 when Panerai was first made available to the general public. This could possibly explain the perception of "lack of heritage". People don't really know them until less than 20 years ago. There are watches which have a much shorter history but are being sold at a premium. Hublot comes to mind.

The Panerai design had been revived ever since it was bought over. It could be a fad. Only time will tell. Meanwhile, I'm enjoying mine

There're plenty of such see thru backs from other good brands and not only Pam.

That's why must get those with see through backs!

Boutique editions don't interest me though.

Think he's talking about this:

Watch Snob: Watch Heritage & The Truth - AskMen

Panerai will tell you that it’s been around for 70 years, making watches for the Italian Navy in the ‘30s. Yes, they were around in the ‘30s and ‘40s, but only made a few hundred watches and then went bankrupt. Oh, and can you guess who was making Panerai’s movements because it could neither afford nor figure out how to make a decent time teller? Yup: Rolex. After Rolex got tired of supplying, it switched to Angelus, and then, when Angelus pulled out, Panerai went the way of the dodo bird. We didn’t hear a peep from them for almost 45 years -- when Sylvester Stallone was credited for bringing the brand back to the public eye. Now that’s a story really worth telling.
    Anyways, watches are like cameras. If you like what you buy just be happy with it, no need to care what others think as long as you don't get fleeced and taken for a ride with an imitation. It looks good to me anyways, cheers!
    Last edited by edutilos-; 25th June 2013 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Daytona is nice sports model but mother of pearl dials and two tones are uhmmm. Nevermind. If full stainless with either white or black dials will be great!
    LOL I on the other hand like stuff like gold and MOP and diamonds on a watch. i guess all up to individual taste. like the vast majority would prefer the black dial daytona, but i actually think that the white dial looks way nicer. hehe

cheers!
    my flickr account

i think Stallone had a hand in introducing PAM to the mainstream?

cheers!
    my flickr account

Quote Originally Posted by Levis View Post
    Do you know who's the R&D team behind Hublot that make them premium?
    I see a marketing company who placed celebrities on the face of their product. Then selling 200 pcs at &30k each... hurhurhu.....

Quote Originally Posted by renaissance_myth View Post
    i think Stallone had a hand in introducing PAM to the mainstream?

cheers!
    Seems like he did. Story says he discovered Panerai while filming in Italy and got hooked. Bought some and gave them to the filming crew. Later, Panerai made a series limited eds with "Sly Tech" emblem on the dials.

Oops, looks like Panerai is also guilty of the celeb thingy....

Casio G-shock is the only watch I can afford

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    Think he's talking about this:

Watch Snob: Watch Heritage & The Truth - AskMen

Anyways, watches are like cameras. If you like what you buy just be happy with it, no need to care what others think as long as you don't get fleeced and taken for a ride with an imitation. It looks good to me anyways, cheers!
    I've read that before but didn't think much of it. Not because he didn't like Panerai. He seemed so caught up with dissing Panerai for not being what it claimed to be and how great a Lange is. He has forgotten that both Officine Panerai and Lange & Söhne are owned by the same company

Compagnie Financière Richemont SA - Our Businesses

I've read that before but didn't think much of it. Not because he didn't like Panerai. He seemed so caught up with dissing Panerai for not being what it claimed to be and how great a Lange is. He has forgotten that both Officine Panerai and Lange & Söhne are owned by the same company

Compagnie Financière Richemont SA - Our Businesses
    I think he just thinks the brand is overpriced, which is subjective, I guess. Just like you think that Hublot is overpriced. He's fun to read anyways - kind of like how Simon Cowell is fun to watch on American Idol. He puts a lot of emphasis on in-house movement which probably explains why he doesn't think so highly about Panerai which IIRC only started doing that in recent times. Comparatively, Lange has been doing it for far longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    Casio G-shock is the only watch I can afford
    G Shock is an addiction too! hehe and they are not cheap. personally i like the Eric Haze version. nice!
    my flickr account

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    I think he just thinks the brand is overpriced, which is subjective, I guess. Just like you think that Hublot is overpriced. He's fun to read anyways - kind of like how Simon Cowell is fun to watch on American Idol. He puts a lot of emphasis on in-house movement which probably explains why he doesn't think so highly about Panerai which IIRC only started doing that in recent times. Comparatively, Lange has been doing it for far longer.
    IIRC PAM used to use Rolex movements in their watches, and those versions are quite sought after.
    my flickr account

Only the earlier ones use Rolex movement. Those are fetching crazy prices. I remembered in recent months, one was sold in an auction. Close to $100k.

Only the earlier ones use Rolex movement. Those are fetching crazy prices. I remembered in recent months, one was sold in an auction. Close to $100k.
    woah that's crazy prices. for that amount of money AP ROO Grand Prix Rose Gold anytime.
    my flickr account

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast