Thread: Nd filters for day shots

Default Nd filters for day shots

I'm looking for an ND filter for my lens for day shots. I would like to try blurry waters, and hopefully blurry clouds, if there are fast moving clouds. I plan to take my shots for around 20-30seconds. Any suggestion which stop should i use? I'm considering Hoya.

Reference shots: "The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | Redbubble

Default Re: Nd filters for day shots

For a safe bet of having a loooong exposure, you can try 10 stop... *Under some conditions, it can also stretch to minutes...*

That said, what stop ND to use also depends on the lighting condition. For instance, the stops to use for a overcast day vs a cloudless day may vary alot.

For this 10stop ND, you can probably consider the brand Haida in your filter evaluation... The review by one forum member: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/revie...nd-filter.html
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

I have been using the NDX400 for quite sometime now. It is my favourite filter till date.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by holyxiaoxin View Post
    I'm looking for an ND filter for my lens for day shots. I would like to try blurry waters, and hopefully blurry clouds, if there are fast moving clouds. I plan to take my shots for around 20-30seconds. Any suggestion which stop should i use? I'm considering Hoya.

Reference shots: "The Ultimate Guide To Neutral Density Filters" by Peter Hill | Redbubble
    take a look at the basic daylight exposure guilde

if you want 30 seconds exposure time

for using 10 stop ND filter, your original day light exposure time should be around 1/15 seconds

for using 6 stops ND filter, your original day light exposure time should be around 1/2 seconds

so a 10 stops ND filter is more suitable.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by holyxiaoxin View Post
    When you talk about day, I'm not sure what the lighting conditions are like. If it is overcast, then a weaker ND filter would do. If it is bright, then even a 10 stop ND filter may not be enough.

Generally speaking, it would be advisable to get 6/10 stop filter to achieve 20-30 second exposures. Some cameras also have in-camera multi-exposure modes which allow you to layer a number of shots together which will help with the effect. For example, 10 3 second exposures should yield something relatively close to a 30 second exposure, from experience. Of course, layering 10 1/500 second shot will not get you anywhere when it comes to blurring water/clouds.

Hope this helps.

one can try stacking up ND filters to give the required effect, but be careful of the color cast, softness & vignetting as a result, which can be easily corrected in post.
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    When you talk about day, I'm not sure what the lighting conditions are like. If it is overcast, then a weaker ND filter would do. If it is bright, then even a 10 stop ND filter may not be enough.

Generally speaking, it would be advisable to get 6/10 stop filter to achieve 20-30 second exposures. Some cameras also have in-camera multi-exposure modes which allow you to layer a number of shots together which will help with the effect. For example, 10 3 second exposures should yield something relatively close to a 30 second exposure, from experience. Of course, layering 10 1/500 second shot will not get you anywhere when it comes to blurring water/clouds.

Hope this helps.
    maybe layering 20 shots of 1/500 seconds exposure?

(ought ought ought, heartache of shutter counts, lol)

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights View Post
    maybe layering 20 shots of 1/500 seconds exposure?

(ought ought ought, heartache of shutter counts, lol)
    To get equivalent of 20 second exposure you would have to try 500 x 20 shots actually... That's 10,000 shots... Wonder what will happen in Photoshop.

Quote Originally Posted by edutilos- View Post
    To get equivalent of 20 second exposure you would have to try 500 x 20 shots actually... That's 10,000 shots... Wonder what will happen in Photoshop.
    Photoshop can always download and install again if you are legitimate user, but the PC probably will up the lorry.

I try to stack 360 layers 12MP tiff files, no problems, try to do auto align, PC crush a couple of them, I let it run over the night and took me a few nights to process what I want.