Thread: Streetdirectory.com needs photographers

Question Streetdirectory.com needs photographers

Anyone noticed this while using streetdirectory.com?
    http://www.streetdirectory.com.sg/im...tographers.php

I got in touch with them and they were interested to use me as a photographer. They have sent me the detailed contract but I'm a little concerned. In summary, the terms goes something like this:

In the agreement, I have to assign the rights of those photographs that I want to distribute through them. The rights assigned will be for a period of 10 years.

They will create a photographers profile page in Streetdirectory.com and my name will be acknowledged for all photographs supplied.

I will get paid (of either 30% or 40% of the licensing fee) only when any of my images are sold.

I will also have to follow a schedule of completion for covering photographs that they want me to shoot.

There are several other terms in the contract which I'm still analysing.
    Anyone else got in touch with them? Any precaution I should take?

Blog Entries

There may be a clause in the contract that states Streetdirectory.com will have the rights to use your images for their website. Please check.

Not saying that they are not legit but if their primary usage is for their site, they may not be putting much effort into marketing/selling images of Singapore buildings.

Imagine the scenario where the photographer has gone round taking all those photographs and submit to them but no fee has been paid, instead "will be paid when images are sold". Then the images are used on their site, but since there is no serious marketing or sales effort for the images, the photographer may never see a single cent.

Better that the contract states that $xxx is paid for each photo selected, and all rights go to them to do whatever they want.

Just a thought and opinion ...

vince123123
    Guests

why dont u upload the contract somewhere for all of us to see and comment?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetboy

I got in touch with them and they were interested to use me as a photographer. They have sent me the detailed contract but I'm a little concerned. In summary, the terms goes something like this:

In the agreement, I have to assign the rights of those photographs that I want to distribute through them. The rights assigned will be for a period of 10 years.

They will create a photographers profile page in Streetdirectory.com and my name will be acknowledged for all photographs supplied.

I will get paid (of either 30% or 40% of the licensing fee) only when any of my images are sold.

I will also have to follow a schedule of completion for covering photographs that they want me to shoot.

Lightbulb

quick review of one or two photos on their website does not impress me. their creative people to review first??

vince123123
    Guests

I concur with Darren's opinion - may be a disguise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    There may be a clause in the contract that states Streetdirectory.com will have the rights to use your images for their website. Please check.

Not saying that they are not legit but if their primary usage is for their site, they may not be putting much effort into marketing/selling images of Singapore buildings.

Imagine the scenario where the photographer has gone round taking all those photographs and submit to them but no fee has been paid, instead "will be paid when images are sold". Then the images are used on their site, but since there is no serious marketing or sales effort for the images, the photographer may never see a single cent.

Better that the contract states that $xxx is paid for each photo selected, and all rights go to them to do whatever they want.

Just a thought and opinion ...

so much for the creative pple.

When it comes to Streetdirectory.com, please read the contract carefully. The best is if you can let us see the whole contract so people like vince123123 can help you. You will always on the losing end if you miss out any part. All I can say it's BE CAREFUL!

Thank you all for the quick advice. I have the same conclusion after reading the contract. That's why I posted this thread to see if any other clubsnappers here have already gone into contract with them, and to find out what their real deal is all about.

So far in my correspondences with the company, they have not revealed anything about their marketing plans even though I had specifically asked for it.

Now that they have drafted the full contract for me, it is getting more apparent that something is amiss about the whole deal. But for the benefit of doubt, I am writing back to the company to indicate my objections to some of the terms in the contract, and hopefully obtain some clarifications from them.

Depending on when they reply (if they do), I will keep everyone posted here.
    If it indeed turns out to be a case of exploitation, I will certainly post the whole contract here for everyone to see, so that we can warn unwary photographers from falling into their trap.

So it seems that no one else has gotten this far with their ad yet, yah?

Default Re: Streetdirectory.com needs photographers

Well, its been a while since I started this thread.

Eventually, I did not sign the contract even after they have modified it as there were only slight changes and IMO still no fair deal to the photographer. When I proposed back with my own set of conditions (mainly to include a small fee for each photo they want to use), they decided not to contract me anymore.

Out of curiosity I went to check out their images recently & saw 2 photographer's names posted there:
    http://www.streetdirectory.com.sg/im...otographer.php

I wonder how they must be doing....especially if they had signed the same contract that was given to me.

vince123123
    Guests

Took a look at the contract, just to point out that it is a little vague on the statement "The rights assigned will be for a period of 10 years." Also, if the agreement is terminated because of your bankruptcy, you don't get back the rights. Finally, it is possible that RJS may have assigned the rights away during the 10 years and you won't be able to get anything back - see the key words "as may then solely vest" in 6.3. 6.3 also protects third party rights....RJS can just grant an exclusive license to a third party (even their own nominees) and then invoke 6.3 to refuse to assign the rights back to you - in summary, too many loopholes here on the assignment back clause

Please also look at Clause 4.3 - this is sufficiently vague that it can be read in quite a few ways.

Payment Schedule - this is a commercial term, but the loophole exists for RJS to accept only 200 and pay 30%. (ie the 40% never enters the picture).

Also, there's no obligations to provide accounts - how do you know if RJS plays punk on the amount received (and thus the royalties to you?). Most royalty agreements have a mechanism for checking/verifying accounts.

Cheers!

Well, its been a while since I started this thread.

Eventually, I did not sign the contract even after they have modified it as there were only slight changes and IMO still no fair deal to the photographer. When I proposed back with my own set of conditions (mainly to include a small fee for each photo they want to use), they decided not to contract me anymore.

Out of curiosity I went to check out their images recently & saw 2 photographer's names posted there:
    http://www.streetdirectory.com.sg/im...otographer.php

I wonder how they must be doing....especially if they had signed the same contract that was given to me.

for Vince123123.
    Professional advice from the professional himself.

Good work vince!

Another cheapo company trying his luck.... Its quite funny to read that they have tons of to photographers and even a head of photography division and then there are only 2 photogs....

Eekk, what an company !!