Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: IBM MicroDrive 1G

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Cool IBM MicroDrive 1G

    Use Things, Love People, Not Love Things, Use People
    Hi, attention all Coolpix 5700 users, or others with Nikon Digicam. Has anyone ever used an IBM Microdrive (Compact Flash) with their digicam?

    I was toying with the idea to buy a microdrive memory card but heard some stories that it tends to overheat when used in the camera and also causes the camera battery to deplete quickly. Any truth in that?

    Pse share yr experience or if anyone knows anything, pse enlighten me.

    Cheers!

    For info, I am currently using Sandisk 128MB and Twin Mos 128MB.

  2. #2
    Moderator ziploc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Snoopyland
    Posts
    4,577

    Default

    Thread moved to a more appropriate discussion forum. Good luck on getting your replies.

  3. #3

    Default Re: IBM MicroDrive 1G

    Originally posted by jeff chen


    Hi, attention all Coolpix 5700 users, or others with Nikon Digicam. Has anyone ever used an IBM Microdrive (Compact Flash) with their digicam?

    I was toying with the idea to buy a microdrive memory card but heard some stories that it tends to overheat when used in the camera and also causes the camera battery to deplete quickly. Any truth in that?

    Pse share yr experience or if anyone knows anything, pse enlighten me.

    Cheers!

    For info, I am currently using Sandisk 128MB and Twin Mos 128MB.
    No problem with IBM microdrive. No overheating and doesn't feel any increase in battery depletion.

  4. #4

    Default

    I've not used the Nikon 5700 but in general, the MD shouldn't have any heating problems with any camera.

    Power consumption of the MD is higher than a CF, but I believe the added drain is negligible.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    I have used the IBM microdrive in my Canon Powershot G1. No overheating nor battery depletion problem so far, though the microdrive does feel warm after some time of usage.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by Lennier
    Power consumption of the MD is higher than a CF, but I believe the added drain is negligible.
    for a power-hungry camera like 5700, the effect might be great though.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  7. #7

    Default

    lolz, shouldn't it be the *other* way around?

    Since it's already power hungry (say it needs 2W each time u press the shutter), another 200mW (for the MD), only means 10% more juice.

    But if the camera doesn't use up much juice (say 500mW for each shot), the 200mW would seem like alot.

    *figures all fake btw, but you get the idea

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    what I'm thinking is.... if a camera can only take 80 shots, using the microdrive decreases it to 60 shots, then you have to change batteries very often.

    on another which is more power efficient and can take 200 pics, decreasing it to 160 still is quite a decent amount.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Thks for all yr responses. It has been very helpful. I guess it all depends on what camera u are using with the MD then.

    Anyone knows any other problems associated with using MD? I mean is it more fragile than CF?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    1,701

    Default

    Fragility I think they are the same. But I think CF has longer durability than MD...personal experience

  11. #11

    Default

    There are no moving parts in a CF card. The MD is definitely less susceptible to shock. Treat it properly though and it shouldn't give you any problems.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Noted with thanks!

  13. #13

    Default

    the MD is a mini tiny harddisk with moving parts. Drop it from chest height and you see what happens.

    As for MS, SM, SD, CF, MMC, I've heard horror stories like forgetting to take it out of shirt and ended up with a 3-wash cycle + soak overnight and it still works after drying.

    Read that from someone's personal experience from SPUG.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    12,938

    Default

    Originally posted by shawntim
    the MD is a mini tiny harddisk with moving parts. Drop it from chest height and you see what happens.
    I don't think it's that much a problem when you use it on a fragile device like the camera. The camera is probably the more fragile equipment and droping it from chest height could damage it's lens and or at least it's internal alignment. Since the camera is seldom dropped, the MD should be pretty safe!
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

  15. #15

    Default

    that is of course you keep it in the camera at all times.. there are other uses for MD too.. for Pocket PC for instance.. or for transferring to external readers.. as long you handle the MD, there will be always chances when you'll be lun zhun..

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Originally posted by shawntim
    that is of course you keep it in the camera at all times.. there are other uses for MD too.. for Pocket PC for instance.. or for transferring to external readers.. as long you handle the MD, there will be always chances when you'll be lun zhun..
    Well, if there is someone who is so clumsy, then I don't think his Pocket PC, digicam, etc will last long either...

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Cool

    Thanks for the interesting debate. To spark more debate, more questions on MicroDrive.

    What is the read and write speed of the MD? Is it faster than CF? I plan to shoot Hi mode images in my CP 5700 and that means the file is gonna be pretty big. My current 128 MB CF takes approx 40 secs to process a shot in Hi mode.

  18. #18

    Default

    Originally posted by jeff chen
    Thanks for the interesting debate. To spark more debate, more questions on MicroDrive.

    What is the read and write speed of the MD? Is it faster than CF? I plan to shoot Hi mode images in my CP 5700 and that means the file is gonna be pretty big. My current 128 MB CF takes approx 40 secs to process a shot in Hi mode.
    Was looking at the Microdrive too, and I came across this article on the speed of the microdrive. Interesting reading, though the test was via a G2.

    http://www.envynews.com/rev_print.php?ID=115

    And this

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/media/co...ash/index.html
    Last edited by foxfire; 10th September 2002 at 01:26 PM.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Thanks FoxFire, really useful link that u have provided to date.


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •