Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travel Insurance a Necessity?

If you are going to US (other places not very sure). Be VERY SURE to get the insurance. The medical cost there super high. Going see doctor for FLU ONLY will cost you around 200 USD

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    If I remember correctly, computer equipment (notebook, PDA) is not covered,
    camera equipment only covers up to $500 max even if your equipment is new
    and cost few thousand dollars. But thats from AIG, dunno is it the same for
    other insurance companies.
    $500 only??? not much point right? so what they cover, clothing? Can I say my cloths cost like thousands of dollars

haha...i think they have set limits for every item claim. Just read carefully
    what you can or can't claim and decide is that the travel policy you want to
    take up.

I always get a travel policy in case of flight delay which dunno why
    happened quite frequently nowadays. In such case, your meals and hotel
    stay (if there is a need) will be covered.

And if lets say you have booked a trip and made full payment but suddenly
    something happened to you or your family which you need to postpone or
    cancel the trip, normally travel agency or airline will charge you for
    last min cancellation charge or "no-show" penalty charge, such penalty
    charge is also claimable against the travel policy if you can provide proof.

It is always good to have insurance coverage just incase anything happen(Touch wood). For peace of mind. Especially high medical and accidental dental coverage expense.

I bought from AIG before. Confirmed for the below info be course I got the AIG travel insurance info brochure in my hand right now.

AIG cover acts of terrorism, golfing equipment and laptop. All leisure amateur sporting activities also cover. Anyway it is better to just spend max $154(depend on your length of trip and the places that you go) for the return of few hundred dollars if your camera gone(better than nothing, rite?).

I have claim my medical bills of more than twenty dollars after the trip when I reached singapore for a visit to GP for skin allergy(quite easy to claim, spend $45 for the premium).

Enjoy your trip.

Well, many comments and advice, but here's my 2cents

- travel insurance cost varies based on
    - basic/deluxe etc, with different amounts of coverage
    - regions, asia/worldwide etc, with some agency breaking
    down the region further to SEA, asia, world etc
    - cover of "special" activities/items like mountaineering,
    trekking, PDA, camera etc

So, buy what suits you

- read the T&C, fine prints etc to see whats covered!
    many years ago, I bought NTUC's (one of the most
    convenient) and in Paris, had my wallet pickpocketed!
    well, guess what, they don't cover loss of money and
    only paid me for the cost of my wallet (after depreciation)
    apparently, loss of money is now covered..

- as someone mentioned, coverage of certain items has
    limits per item, eg. coverage of camera/PDA is limited
    to $500-$1000 etc. whats in the fine prints is that the
    the camera with lens and accessories is considered ONE
    item

All in all, read the policy!!
    But in summary, yes, I think travel insurance is necessary

Woohoo!! Lotsa good advice...thanks thank! Well a few questions...wat company is AIG? Seems rather popular. And roughly how long does it take to actually sign up for such insurance? As in the processing time...on the spot?

Just some more info..i'll actually be gg australia, in bout a 3-4 wks time. So lets say sway sway really need to claim for the insurance...wats the procedure? Is it just report to the local police there, then embassy...and come back singapore find the insurance company? any specific things to take note?

I guess most likely i'll just be signing up for a average plan...since dun really plan on bringing expensive stuff over...just a film camera and maybe a digital compact...plus lotsa winter clothing.

AIG(American Home Assurance Company Singapore) is the parent company of AIA(Amercian International Assurance Company). You just need to contact the police in Singapore and the country that you travel in. If not sure, ask your servicing agent. He/She will tell you the procedure. Any claims, just inform your insurance agent. He/she is suppose to service your policy. Just call and inform your agent, he/she will settle everthing for you. Have a nice trip.

Just need a few days before your trip to sign up.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by phantasia
    Hey all,

Just want to find out if travel insurance is really necessary? And if its useful in the first place? First time backpacking...so alot of things unsure.

If we should get travel insurance, any rough gauge of how much is it per person and where to get it?

Thanks alot!!

buy it. not wise not to buy.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by phantasia
    Woohoo!! Lotsa good advice...thanks thank! Well a few questions...wat company is AIG? Seems rather popular. And roughly how long does it take to actually sign up for such insurance? As in the processing time...on the spot?

Just some more info..i'll actually be gg australia, in bout a 3-4 wks time. So lets say sway sway really need to claim for the insurance...wats the procedure? Is it just report to the local police there, then embassy...and come back singapore find the insurance company? any specific things to take note?

I guess most likely i'll just be signing up for a average plan...since dun really plan on bringing expensive stuff over...just a film camera and maybe a digital compact...plus lotsa winter clothing.
    i think if you plan to bring yourself there, you already have an 'invaluable stuff' to cover, right?

don't understand your priorities. you seem to value your camera and other belongings higher than yourself.
    Last edited by reachme2003; 22nd April 2005 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    i think if you plan to bring yourself there, you already have an 'invaluable stuff' to cover, right?
    If it's invaluable, then how come still need insurance to cover replacement cost?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    If it's invaluable, then how come still need insurance to cover replacement cost?
    the 'invaluable stuff' i was referring to is himself or herself.

what is your definition of 'invaluable'? i do not understand your post.

i think he is saying 'invaluable' == no value
    Come visit my blog

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by barracuda
    i think he is saying 'invaluable' == no value
    let's wait for him to reply.

you can refer to the AIG site for quotation : https://www.aig.com.sg/asp/formpage1-1.asp

travel insurance is indeed a necessity, especially for medical needs. it's good to go through an agent, so that you can leave all the paperworks to him/her.

1 of my filters cracked on a flight recently, claiming was easy. just make sure you read through the policy terms & conditions, and know what documents are needed to make a claim.

same same...
    invaluable == no amount of money can buy.
    If no amount of money can buy, then how can insurance pay?

Lightbulb

same same...
    based on your rather narrow definition, the life insurance industry would not have existed at all. but, they did, fortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by cookiez
    If I remember correctly, computer equipment (notebook, PDA) is not covered,
    camera equipment only covers up to $500 max even if your equipment is new
    and cost few thousand dollars. But thats from AIG, dunno is it the same for
    other insurance companies.
    I have home insurance that covers theft of laptop and photographic equipment when I am out of the house, eg overseas or even in SG. Proof is via means of police report. cannot suka suka say stolen.

Anyway, to cut the long story short, I have claimed using this before. Deductable per item was SGD100 in my case. Anyone interested PM me for details.

same same...
    Life is precious and invaluable. A lot of people (myself included) buy life insurance. Ask yourself why.

For insurance of labtop, i buy dedicated electronic equipment insurance from NTUC which covers much more then travel insurance... have seen at some US forum (forgotten which) that some guy actually drop his pro slr camera while shooting at roof top and luckly he has insured his cam.

as for travel insurance... just some extras let your have peace of mind... for lost of items have not claim before but last year due to my dad was hospitalised, the insurance pay additional fees for air ticket for me to rush bad to singapore cutting short my tour. Think this part is OT liao hor? hehe

Btw, claimming at AIG is easy as far as I know having claimed 2 times...

Enjoy your trip and dun think too much

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast