Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 282

Thread: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

  1. #221

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    Fish with smelly Indonesian bau you also want meh?

    I hope the guys from the million dollar has finally seen the true colors of Indonesia .......
    pretty much anyone who has dealt with indon govt knows their true colors.
    but what to do, they're next door and like to throw their weight around.

  2. #222
    Moderator daredevil123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    lil red dot
    Posts
    21,627
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zenten View Post
    You mean peninsula Malaysia ........ let the big boys fight it out then .......... we are clearly out of contention..........
    Weather reports say winds changing direction back tomorrow... Haze will be back with us before you know it...
    We are clearly not out of the (hot) water yet.

  3. #223
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    ha!
    malaysia didn't even dare to make noise.
    ..... they have to clean their own backsides first mah ..... it has been revealed that eight of the firms responsible for the Sumatran fires were registered in Malaysia ..... haha
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  4. #224
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Weather reports say winds changing direction back tomorrow... Haze will be back with us before you know it...
    We are clearly not out of the (hot) water yet.
    For Indonesians, Friday and mainly Saturday (like our Sunday) are days of rest ......... probably a short break before they start burning again ....... touch wood ..... it either this or ......
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  5. #225
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    ha ha..... should have extended our holiday in Penang for a few more days
    good food ... good air



    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  6. #226
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    3 days after Obama made his last call to Bambang .......

    Obama: Bro, so how was the BBQ you had prepared for Singapore?

    Bambang: Our friends from Singapore complained that the smoke from the BBQ was too pungent and made it difficult for them to breathe. We had no choice but to douse the fire and postpone the event ......

    Obama: .....so what about all the food that were brought to you?

    Bambang: Obviously we could not let them go waste.......burp ...burp....excuse me ......


    ......... to be continued
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  7. #227
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ha ha..... should have extended our holiday in Penang for a few more days
    good food ... good air




    .....mmmmm ...........the good life .........
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  8. #228

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    ha ha..... should have extended our holiday in Penang for a few more days
    good food ... good air



    i'm hearing news that PG starting to get bad. Even parts of south Thailand starting to see haze.

    Muar has hit 750 on their API index, state of emergency declared by Najib.

  9. #229
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    i'm hearing news that PG starting to get bad. Even parts of south Thailand starting to see haze.

    Muar has hit 750 on their API index, state of emergency declared by Najib.
    Finally, someone has decided to put the Singapore Flyer to good use .......
    Last edited by Zenten; 23rd June 2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  10. #230

    Default

    Funny part is, they're giving them away for free to needy families at the community centres. Is anyone getting them? No. But these same people are saying the government is doing nothing... LOL
    Alpha

  11. #231
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9,793
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Funny part is, they're giving them away for free to needy families at the community centres. Is anyone getting them? No. But these same people are saying the government is doing nothing... LOL
    ...... N95 ...... nothing new I guess ........talk is cheap ...
    Nikomi Canpen Zenten :eek:
    Not exactly 100% Natural but definitely the closest you can get to it

  12. #232
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Jurong West
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Yes I personally went to community club this morning they are giving out to low income family 4 pcs per family.

  13. #233

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by vilee1 View Post
    Yes I personally went to community club this morning they are giving out to low income family 4 pcs per family.
    it's good to see that. while families which are financially capable are complaining, the government is actually assisting those who need it the most first.

  14. #234
    Senior Member oceanpriest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ghim Moh
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Strange, just now can see the haze, but website report 57-61 only.

  15. #235

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?


  16. #236
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by keiser View Post
    Met Service officer mentioned during our aviation meteorological briefing that there's perhaps a definite link between airborne aerosols and atmospheric particulate matter such as pm10 and pm2.5 increasing intensity of thunderstorm cells as the size of water droplets coalescing in clouds decreases due to aforementioned factors thus rising higher and higher up the stratosphere than usual in a maturing cumulus / cumulonimbus cloud formation before freezing into hails, releasing additional latent heat energy from enthalpy of fusion thus invigorating the cycle till the convective system dissipate its energy in intensity.

    This was my general understanding.
    Last edited by 9V-Orion Images; 26th June 2013 at 04:23 PM.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

  17. #237
    Member Bukitimah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,261

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Mr Tommy Koh wrote a very well written article in today's newspaper on this subject on how we can tackle the haze. With his connections and social standing, I hope follow up actions will be done.

    Many Singaporeans feel the problem is resolved after a few days of haze free sky. The fact that our government keeps reminding us to embrace ourselves for 'possible' haze in the coming days, weeks or even months ahead tell us it is there. We need to work on a more 'permanent' solutions that are within our control.

    Among them, we have to include how to cope when the haze return (just like H1N1). International pressure and government actions on those responsible directly or indirectly will be the most effective and important aspect to mitigate the haze. Everyone living here has a part to play and this is for your generations to come. To the 5 million Singaporeans and our FTs living here, your actions will determine if the haze will return or not.

  18. #238

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Sadly, it has been like that for donkey years ... people complained and then forgot about it shortly after ... i guess when it start to "snow" here then perhaps people will get really worry

    Permanent solution? U mean like stopping who is "sponsoring" these actions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Many Singaporeans feel the problem is resolved after a few days of haze free sky. The fact that our government keeps reminding us to embrace ourselves for 'possible' haze in the coming days, weeks or even months ahead tell us it is there. We need to work on a more 'permanent' solutions that are within our control.

    Among them, we have to include how to cope when the haze return (just like H1N1). International pressure and government actions on those responsible directly or indirectly will be the most effective and important aspect to mitigate the haze. Everyone living here has a part to play and this is for your generations to come. To the 5 million Singaporeans and our FTs living here, your actions will determine if the haze will return or not.
    Last edited by keiser; 27th June 2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: typo

  19. #239

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by 9V-Orion Images View Post
    Met Service officer mentioned during our aviation meteorological briefing that there's perhaps a definite link between airborne aerosols and atmospheric particulate matter such as pm10 and pm2.5 increasing intensity of thunderstorm cells as the size of water droplets coalescing in clouds decreases due to aforementioned factors thus rising higher and higher up the stratosphere than usual in a maturing cumulus / cumulonimbus cloud formation before freezing into hails, releasing additional latent heat energy from enthalpy of fusion thus invigorating the cycle till the convective system dissipate its energy in intensity.

    This was my general understanding.
    That may be true but nearly 50 years ago I also experienced a thunderstorm in Singapore, at Tanjong Rhu in fact, where there were hailstones. Certainly no haze during those days and Singapore then was cooler than nowadays.

  20. #240
    Member 9V-Orion Images's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Autenticate ALGRN @ 7987.8270
    Posts
    1,760

    Default Re: Haze really due to burning by farmers?

    Quote Originally Posted by sgciti55 View Post
    That may be true but nearly 50 years ago I also experienced a thunderstorm in Singapore, at Tanjong Rhu in fact, where there were hailstones. Certainly no haze during those days and Singapore then was cooler than nowadays.
    From time to time, I was told. Similar systems also produced tornadoes, "Rear Flank Downdraft (RFD)" of "mesocyclone" in cumulonimbus much akeen to lesser "supercell" formation.

    Tossed several shipping containers into the air at Jurong.
    CS Aviation / Flickr
    Per aspera ad astra

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 271011121314 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •