Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: sigma optics

Originally posted by Fastbreak
    Bluestrike, where can I buy the Kenko teleconvertor? Seems like my Sigma 70-300 APO was not listed in the compatibility list for the Sigma TC

Thanks!
    sorry, I'm not sure too.. but I think CP can but must ask. Maybe you can start a tread on it.

Originally posted by StreetShooter

Unlike Tom, I don't really plan to replace my Sigma glass with Canon, because I have no compelling reason to do so (except for the aforementioned 70-200 IS USM - MAYBE). The fact that Sigma has lousy resale value probably contributes to this.
    I also found no easy reason to replace Sigmas, but... I would like to have Canon 180/f3.5L macro, Canon 70-200/f2.8L IS, Canon 300/f2.8L, and Canon 600/f4L IS.(full stop)

Originally posted by Bluestrike
    Well if memory serve mi well, Tomshen got his Sigma 1.4TC at abt 260. His is Canon mount so not very sure how much diff the price will be.

Why not get a Kenko Pro300 1.4TC, at least it can be use on all lenses and not just delicated to some lenses only?
    how much is that anyway??

Originally posted by NitroTech

It is slightly mmore then the Sigma.. abt 20+ - 30+ more!

Originally posted by Bluestrike

It is slightly mmore then the Sigma.. abt 20+ - 30+ more!
    BUY BUY BUY!!!!!

bye bye bye!!!! (N'sync??)

Hi StreetShooter, how much did you pay for the 1.4X and the 2X TCs?? thinking of getting either one for my 50-500mm. Thanks!!
    Sigma TC can only work in manual mode with the 50-500mm, regardless whether it's a 1.4x or 2x.

From Sigma Website:

Can the 1.4X EX and 2X EX teleconverters be used with the 50-500mm f/4-6.3 zoom lens?

Q. Can the 1.4X EX and 2X EX teleconverters be used with the 50-500mm f/4-6.3 zoom lens? And I've been told that Sigma's teleconverters can only be used with certain lenses. Just which lenses can be used, and will they still be autofocus?

A. Yes, the EX dedicated teleconverters can be used with the 50-500mm EX zoom lens, as well as with several other current telephoto and zoom lenses. In fact the following current Sigma lenses can be used with the EX teleconverters.

Checkout their FAQ here:
    Sigma TC FAQ

Have anyone try Kenko TC with 50-500mm? wonder whether can the AF works.
    Last edited by extreme2; 5th September 2002 at 10:53 AM.

Originally posted by extreme2

Sigma TC can only work in manual mode with the 50-500mm, regardless whether it's a 1.4x or 2x.

From Sigma Website:

Can the 1.4X EX and 2X EX teleconverters be used with the 50-500mm f/4-6.3 zoom lens?

Q. Can the 1.4X EX and 2X EX teleconverters be used with the 50-500mm f/4-6.3 zoom lens? And I've been told that Sigma's teleconverters can only be used with certain lenses. Just which lenses can be used, and will they still be autofocus?

A. Yes, the EX dedicated teleconverters can be used with the 50-500mm EX zoom lens, as well as with several other current telephoto and zoom lenses. In fact the following current Sigma lenses can be used with the EX teleconverters.

Checkout their FAQ here:
    Sigma TC FAQ

Thanks Extreme!!! that was really helpful!!

http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...2_3132crx.aspx

says that it needs to be used with a lens of f/4.5 or larger to be able to autofocus. meaning can't autofocus for the Sigma 50-500mm

http://www.photographyreview.com/psc...2_3132crx.aspx

says that it needs to be used with a lens of f/4.5 or larger to be able to autofocus. meaning can't autofocus for the Sigma 50-500mm

I think someone said earlier in the thread that AF functionality depends on body's AF capabilities. Hold on, that was me. I suppose people who post in photographyreview are more reliable.

$300 at camera workshop

Originally posted by tomshen
    I am a big Sigma fan (next to Streetshooter?). I own four Sigma lenses and live happily with them: 20mm/f1.8, 105mm macro, 70-200/f2.8, 50-500/f4-6.3. All very good optical quality and solid built. If u r on budget, can seriously consider Sigma, value for money. However, my target is to replace all Sigma to Canon 2 years later. As for now the 10% marginal sharpness means a lot to me. Even by that time, I would probably still pro Sigmas for their performance/price.

Good luck.

Regards,
    Tom
    Hi Tom,

Like to ask how much did u get ur 50-500/f4-6.3 lense for?? and from where?? am thinking of saving for one now...
    Lastly, how's the optics?? It would be nice if u can post some samples...
    Thanks.

Originally posted by zapline

Hi Tom,

Like to ask how much did u get ur 50-500/f4-6.3 lense for?? and from where?? am thinking of saving for one now...
    Lastly, how's the optics?? It would be nice if u can post some samples...
    Thanks.
    1.6k with a normal 86mm UV filter from John 3:16. Optically it's good, at least very sharp and contrasty. A good buy to me. But u should be aware that this lens should be used on top of a stable tripod and good ballhead at all time (unless you are very strong). Samples? hehe, do a search with my id after 13/07/02, u will be finding lots of animal shots...

Well, I've used the 15-30, the 28-70/2.8 EX, the 105/2.8 macro, the 24/2.8 and the 70-200/2.8 EX HSM. Both the 15-30 and the 28-70 suffered from ugly flare, even when the sun was not in the frame. Both these lenses were not really sharp, and lacked contrast when compared to my Canon 28-105 zoom. The 15-30 was particularly soft at the corners and sides and lacked definition. BTW these were on a film camera, not digital.

The 105/2.8 was a good performer for its price, though not close to the Canon 100/2.8 macro. The 70-200/2.8 HSM was a decent performer for its price, however, my friend who bought the lens (which is the lens I tried) had a strange problem. After a week of use, the AF motor started making squealing noises, and he had to return it.

The build quality of these lenses is very good, though. Still, I wouldn't pay money for a Sigma lens.

Kenko Pro 300 2x Teleconverter f/ Nikon

Someone selling it on Singnet Classified..... $275. Anyone know the original price?

Originally posted by sriram
    The 105/2.8 was a good performer for its price, though not close to the Canon 100/2.8 macro. The 70-200/2.8 HSM was a decent performer for its price, however, my friend who bought the lens (which is the lens I tried) had a strange problem. After a week of use, the AF motor started making squealing noises, and he had to return it.

The build quality of these lenses is very good, though. Still, I wouldn't pay money for a Sigma lens.
    Wow...seem that you have a very bad impression of all Sigma lens.
    Anyway back to the topic, doe sanyone here encounter any problem with the 70-200/2.8 HSM len?
    Thought of getting it though.

Back to the same qns, does anyone compared the optical quality of this len to a AFS 80-200mm 2.8D Nikkor len?

Originally posted by scanner

Wow...seem that you have a very bad impression of all Sigma lens.
    Anyway back to the topic, doe sanyone here encounter any problem with the 70-200/2.8 HSM len?
    Thought of getting it though.

Back to the same qns, does anyone compared the optical quality of this len to a AFS 80-200mm 2.8D Nikkor len?
    For Canon users, the 70-200HSM is a nobrainer. The L version cost too much, and the 70-200HSM becomes a very viable alternative.

For Nikon users, don't need to consider. It's a no brainer too, but in the other direction. Just spend that $300 or so more and get the original Nikon AFnD version. You don't need the HSM, and the build is so much better. And it zooms and focuses the CORRECT way for Nikon users.

Regards
    CK

So Scanner........ it's a no brainer!!! When are you buying it? Go together lah!!! Nikkor 80-200mm!!!

So Scanner........ it's a no brainer!!! When are you buying it? Go together lah!!! Nikkor 80-200mm!!!

AFS new cost around $2800... used around $2100. (depend on condition)
    AFDn new cost around $1500.. used around $1000. (depend on condition)

Sigma new around S$1200, used around S$850. Who says Nikon has better resale value?
    DR KOH KHO KING

E-quote from CP...... AFDn $1586 w/o GST. meaning its about ~$1633
    Last edited by NitroTech; 9th September 2002 at 03:40 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast