Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Very very newbie... Types of lenses and uses

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    148

    Default Very very newbie... Types of lenses and uses

    I've no idea what r lenses for. A DSLR can use any type of lenses?
    I heard something like Standard lenses, Telephoto, Wide angle?
    What r these lenses for?

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    waiaung.deviantart.com
    Posts
    535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    I've no idea what r lenses for.
    What Lenses are for? Im not sure how to explain this...
    We use different types of lenses for different situations...


    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    A DSLR can use any type of lenses??
    It is important to note that DSLR cameras can use ONLY the lenses which they can mount on. For an example, Canon DSLR cameras can mount their Canon lenses, and some third-party lenses, but they may not be able to mount NIKON lenses. Same goes to other cameras...

    however, there is a huge range of Lenses. So that for example, Canon DSLRs have all their Telephoto, Standard, Potrait, Wide Angle, Macro lenses. And so do other DSLRs like NIKON.



    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    I heard something like Standard lenses, Telephoto, Wide angle? What r these lenses for?
    Standard lenses are for general purpose.

    Telephoto is a zoom lens... its to shoot objects from a very far distance. (for example; Sports, Wild life)

    Wide angle lenses are normally used for landscapes, scenaries, buildings... etc. They have a very strong perspective angles.



    phew..i hope it answers your questions... it was hard.
    Last edited by waiaung; 21st April 2005 at 09:47 PM.
    My Gallery at DeviantART http://waiaung.deviantart.com

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Westy
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    ok... 1stly... try doing a search 1st...
    then...

    mainly dslr uses their own brand's lenses, like canon to canon, nikon to nikon etc, but there are also 3rd party lenses to like sigma, tokina and etc. depending on the type of mount, different dslr/slr can use them.

    try to read some books on basic photograpghy, most books will explain what are the different lenses, a bit long to type out everything. most or less they do what they are called lo, wide angle = wide angle, telephoto = zoom etc

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    I've no idea what r lenses for. A DSLR can use any type of lenses?
    I heard something like Standard lenses, Telephoto, Wide angle?
    What r these lenses for?
    SLR/DSLR cant use any lense they want, have to depend on wat type of mount they have... Like Canon is EF Mount, Nikon is F Mount..

    Standard lens are lens for Normal condition use, they mostly are lens that have a zoom range not over 85mm..

    Telephoto lens are lens mostly use for Sports or condition where your object is far from u... those lens that have a zoom range of 100mm or more to 1200mm

    Wide Angle lens are mainly use to take Scenery, Group Photo shots..

    Afterall. it all depend wat u need... that wat a SLR/DSLR is for

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    2,358

    Default

    I think I can answer the first question. The answer to that question is the same as asking why do we need a lens for our eyes and why anything optical from small microscopes to telescopes need them.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    I've no idea what r lenses for.
    lenses enable light from your subject to be focused on the film or the sensor in your camera, thereby recording the photograph.

    A DSLR can use any type of lenses?
    yes, a DSLR can use any type of lenses which are compatible with the brand and model of the camera. e.g. canon lenses on canon DSLR, nikon lenses on Nikon DSLR.

    I heard something like Standard lenses, Telephoto, Wide angle?
    What r these lenses for?
    standard lenses allow you to record photographs which appear very natural to your eye. in the past, the 50mm lens is popularly used as the standard lens. now, 28mm-80mm zoom lenses are popular as standard lenses. standard lenses are suitable for most types of general shooting conditions.

    telephoto lenses allow you to photograph distant objects, and are commonly used to photograph birds, wild animals, and sports. it's like a telescope that can be attached to your camera.

    wide angle lenses allow you to include more subject matter into your photograph than other lenses. for example, a wide angle lens will enable you to take a group photograph in a confined space. wide angle lenses are also popular in landscape photography.

    you can try out each of these lenses to see which one suits you the best for the kind of photographs that you like taking.
    Last edited by zaren; 21st April 2005 at 10:35 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Beeshan
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    I've no idea what r lenses for. A DSLR can use any type of lenses?
    I heard something like Standard lenses, Telephoto, Wide angle?
    What r these lenses for?
    basically, lenses r used to allow ur camera to focus on ur subject. just like how the lens of ur eyes does.

    a DSLR can use any type of lenses of the same mount. as mentioned above. however a point to note wld be because its a DIGITAL slr, some lenses r specially designed for it. whereas on the other hand, some lenses only allow manual focus, hence, u cant auto focus when u mount it on a DSLR.

    Standard Lens:
    i personally wld call them a walk about lens, as the name suggest, the lens that is mounted on ur cam most of the time as u walk around. depending on preference, this range can be 18-70, 18-125, 18-200, 18-50, 28-70, 28-85, 50mm primes etc

    Telephoto Lens:
    these would usually be 100mm and above. these provides u with the zoom, so that u can take objects that r further away. they r usually bigger.

    Wide Angles(WA):
    these allow u to get a wider view of things. extremely useful for landscapes and huge group photos. usually anything from under 24-28mm can be considered wides. however, one prob would be, at the wide end(12mm, 18mm etc) there might be barrel distortion, or ur edges will appear weird, elongated or otherwise.

    Fisheye:
    i term it the special effects lens. it gives an interesting view to landscapes and buildings. do a search on it

    apertures:
    lenses come with aperture settings. usually f/1.4,f/1.8,f/3.5-5.6 etc the smaller the number, the more light it allows to pass thru, hence they r better for low light photography. ie. a f/1.4 would be better in low light(indoors, weddings etc) than a f/3.5. primes are lenses with fix focal distance eg.50mm

    point to note:
    for DSLRs, u would have to take into account the crop factor of the camera, for D70 its 1.5x, 300D its 1.6x(IIRC), oly at 2x and some are full frames. what it effectively does is, it "extends" ur zoom by watever amount of times stated by the crop factor. ie. a 18-70 would have the view of a 27-105mm on a D70. run a search on crop factor and find out more.


    i hope i am accurate in my answers and hope that they r of some help. there will be many seniors here who will help u along the way. enjoy photography!!!

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,726

    Default

    Try this site. Its for those old manual cameras but there's a lot of info.

    http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ics/nikkormat/

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waiaung

    Standard lenses are for general purpose.

    Telephoto is a zoom lens... its to shoot objects from a very far distance. (for example; Sports, Wild life)

    Wide angle lenses are normally used for landscapes, scenaries, buildings... etc. They have a very strong perspective angles.

    I have to make some tiny corrections here, if you don't mind.

    1 Standard lenses are called "standard" because when you look through the viewfinder, what you see corresponds roughly to the "normal" vision".

    Any lenses can be used by a photographer as his/her general purpose lens. My friend use a wide angle lens as his "general purpose" lens. I use a short "telephoto" as my general purpose lens. This difference is due to the difference each person sees the external reality.

    2 A telephoto lens is NOT a zoom lens. Like zaren said, a telephoto lens is like a telescope that allows you to reach far. A zoom lens has built in capability to have a variety of "focal lengths", eg from a wide angle to a telephoto, all in "one" lens.

    3 Wide angle lenses allow you to "widen" your horizon and to "take in more". Some photogs like to take in as much as possible in landscape. I use a "short telephoto" fpr 90% of my landscape shots. My friend uses a wide angle lens for his portrait shots.

    All lenses cause distortion. Wide angle lenses "exaggerate perspective", while telephoto lenses "compresses perspective".

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Beeshan
    Posts
    1,830

    Default

    student :

    thanks for the corrections!!!
    learnt something new everyday!!!

  11. #11

    Default

    I noticed that when u zoom with a std lens, the lowest aperture available Increases. Eg. with a 350D and kit lens when zoom and taking indoor photos, the lowest aperture available is f/5.6 and without flash the photos come out pitch black.

    Any way to solve this prob without using flash?

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anirtac
    I noticed that when u zoom with a std lens, the lowest aperture available Increases. Eg. with a 350D and kit lens when zoom and taking indoor photos, the lowest aperture available is f/5.6 and without flash the photos come out pitch black.

    Any way to solve this prob without using flash?
    if u shoot in auto/program mode, the photos should not come out pitch black, unless u have used manual mode with a small aperture and high shutter speed. try using large aperture and long shutter speed together with a tripod, or use higher iso setting for handheld shots.
    Last edited by zaren; 22nd April 2005 at 02:58 PM.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zaren
    if u shoot in auto/program mode, the photos should not come out pitch black, unless u have used manual mode with a small aperture and high shutter speed. try using large aperture and long shutter speed together with a tripod, or use higher iso setting for handheld shots.

    Thanks Will try that when I get home...!!!

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anirtac
    I noticed that when u zoom with a std lens, the lowest aperture available Increases. Eg. with a 350D and kit lens when zoom and taking indoor photos, the lowest aperture available is f/5.6 and without flash the photos come out pitch black.

    Any way to solve this prob without using flash?
    The problem comes about because "cheaper" zooms have variable apertures as the focal length changes. let us say that the description of the zoom lens says 28-100mm f3.5-5.6.

    This means that at 28 mm, the widest aperture will be f3.5 (of course you can make it smaller if you wish!) and when zoomed out the widest aperture will be f5.6.

    Any problem with a zoom lens and "evaluative"/"centre-weighted" metering is that light values changes with wide angle shots to a tele shots. The potential for a wide range of light values to increase and reduce when tele is used confuses the camera's meter.

    It is not a question of flash or no flash. It is a matter for the photographer to learn how to look at light to chose the exposure correctly. The solution is for you to earn how to meter, instead of asking the camera to do it for you.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by student
    The problem comes about because "cheaper" zooms have variable apertures as the focal length changes. let us say that the description of the zoom lens says 28-100mm f3.5-5.6.

    This means that at 28 mm, the widest aperture will be f3.5 (of course you can make it smaller if you wish!) and when zoomed out the widest aperture will be f5.6.

    Any problem with a zoom lens and "evaluative"/"centre-weighted" metering is that light values changes with wide angle shots to a tele shots. The potential for a wide range of light values to increase and reduce when tele is used confuses the camera's meter.

    It is not a question of flash or no flash. It is a matter for the photographer to learn how to look at light to chose the exposure correctly. The solution is for you to earn how to meter, instead of asking the camera to do it for you.
    Ahhh.....

    sounds complicated.... well that means I'll have to trial and error.... hehehe nm would be fun to play with my cam!!!


    THANX!!!

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anirtac
    Ahhh.....

    sounds complicated.... well that means I'll have to trial and error.... hehehe nm would be fun to play with my cam!!!


    THANX!!!
    No, not "trial and error". With this method of "trial and error" you will take a long time to learn to expose correctly.

    My suggestion is to switch off your auto metering, and change the metering to manual. Then decide on the choice of aperture and shutter speed based on what image you are trying to make. Make the exposure and then learn from there.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Somewhere
    Posts
    148

    Default

    I'm currently using a NIKON CP5400. Intend 2 upgrade 2 "Entry Level" DSLR as I'm a newbie, not very very expensive 1 lah... Got 2 models in my mind: D70 & 300D.

    Do I need 2 consider what type of lenses that can be mounted when buying a DSLR??

    2 achieve a blur background, what type of lens 2 use? Ai yah, 'coz i so love 2 c photos with blur background leh..., addicted!

  18. #18

    Default

    it helps to memorise roughly some of the typical exposure values for the typical settings eg low light glam event - ISO 500, f2.8, 1/60, pub - ISO 500, f2.8, 1/15, at the beach ISO 200 f5.6 1/2000, etc etc

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    I'm currently using a NIKON CP5400. Intend 2 upgrade 2 "Entry Level" DSLR as I'm a newbie, not very very expensive 1 lah... Got 2 models in my mind: D70 & 300D.

    Do I need 2 consider what type of lenses that can be mounted when buying a DSLR??

    2 achieve a blur background, what type of lens 2 use? Ai yah, 'coz i so love 2 c photos with blur background leh..., addicted!
    To achieve blur bg, the aperture of the lens must be open as wide as possible... the wider, the more blur the bg... the oppsite if u want everything to be in forcus / sharp

  20. #20
    Senior Member GENO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Teddy Bear Land
    Posts
    2,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LolliPoP
    I'm currently using a NIKON CP5400. Intend 2 upgrade 2 "Entry Level" DSLR as I'm a newbie, not very very expensive 1 lah... Got 2 models in my mind: D70 & 300D.

    Do I need 2 consider what type of lenses that can be mounted when buying a DSLR??

    2 achieve a blur background, what type of lens 2 use? Ai yah, 'coz i so love 2 c photos with blur background leh..., addicted!
    try getting a lens that says 28-75mm f2.8 ( good for portriats what ever u need for awhile) . To me, at 300mm f5.6 will also gives me a blur background at portriats.. ask before u buy anything..
    Take both its legs down first, then cuts its tail, next is shoot between its eyes:devil:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •