Thread: Nikon D50 and the (uncertain?) future of CF memory

Default Nikon D50 and the (uncertain?) future of CF memory

I have been rooting for the continued health in sales and use of CF flash memory for a long time now because of their price per megabyte advantage.

Up till now, all DSLR and 'big megabyte' prosumer cams supported CF. However, with the ever falling price of SD memory and the imminent arrival of the D50, are we seeing another nail put into the coffin of CF's future?

If this trend continues, those of us who have invested heavily in an expensive DSLR may, in a few years time, find it increasingly difficult to get more CF cards as it becomes a niche item.

Likewise, if we upgrade our cameras, then our stash of CF cards will become white elephants.

sigh
    Last edited by kuoann; 21st April 2005 at 04:07 PM.

thats life. CF will one day go. but it'll take a long long while. SD may go one day too, when a faster/smaller/cheaper-per-mB card is invented.

We may not even need media in the future. DSLR may have internal 1TB of memory, and it'll beam wirelessly to your own servers/home PCs.

Don't worry about it. I'd rather ponder when will FF be cheap cheap..hehe

there's always the SD to CF card converters
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

but no CF to SD converters though

D50 is probably aimed at users of existing "SD" digicams to lower the cost of ownership. Given the popularity of SD in the current models (especially the small and compact cameras), I would say it's a very smart move by Nikon.

and we still hv those portable hard disk to fall back on what

Default That's life

Our CFs die first or dSLR die first? Best is die together, then upgrade to new dSLR with new media.

That's life...

If we spent ALL our money before we die, pathetic.
    If we die before spending all our money, what a waste!

That's life...

Coming from an era of listening to cassette tape on the big fat walkman...
    if players spoilt, what to do with the tapes if buy CD player?
    if all tapes got mold then what to do with the players

...that's life

Quote Originally Posted by HeWolf
    Our CFs die first or dSLR die first? Best is die together, then upgrade to new dSLR with new media.
    I don't think anyone would consider to have both your dSLR and CF card die on him/her is the best thing to happen. Just kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by mpenza
    but no CF to SD converters though

D50 is probably aimed at users of existing "SD" digicams to lower the cost of ownership. Given the popularity of SD in the current models (especially the small and compact cameras), I would say it's a very smart move by Nikon.
    hmm..how many consumer cam uses SD cards? there are many comsumer DC that uses other format like SM, MS, xD. Furthermore with consumer DC, u wont need very large capacity memory card because the file size is much smaller (due to higher compression). If i were to upgrade my consumer DC, i will rather sell all the memory card together with the camera and then buy a larger capacity CF for DSLR

i would say it is a dumb move because what if nikon decide to keep SD card only for entry level DSLR, u will be stuck with all your SD cards and cannot move on in the upgrade path (or u can upgrade to 1D MKII that support both CF & SD or spend more $$ to get a CF-SD adapter)
    We are HDD of PC & FT are MB add to storage;
    so PC never hangs with enormous storage capacity - LKY

IMHO, it is a matter of time that SD will totally replace CF, be it in entry or professional dSLR, and not so much on the consideration for the upgrader from prosumer camera.

Just like in the 80s mini hi-fis features only cassette deck (traditional dSLR feturing only CF slot), then in the 90s mini hi-fis offers both casseste deck and CD slot (Dual media slot dSLR). And now they got rid of the cassete deck altogether (SD slot only dSLR).

i kinda agree it wasn't too wise a move.. only time will tell
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by HeWolf

That's life...

If we spent ALL our money before we die, pathetic.
    If we die before spending all our money, what a waste!

That's life...

Coming from an era of listening to cassette tape on the big fat walkman...
    if players spoilt, what to do with the tapes if buy CD player?
    if all tapes got mold then what to do with the players

...that's life
    Hahahah... I like this attitude
    Jia Wang... "A photo is only as beautiful as the photographer's eyes can see."
    My Eyes ;)

20 years ago, someone may have asked this question in a coffeeshop (since it is pre-internet days):

Do u think someday cassette tapes will be phased out? If that happens, then my YAMAHA/KENWOOD stereo cassette tape player will be obselete. Same goes for all my ABBA, Carpenters & Bee Gees cassette tape albums! Like that how??

Mobile phones can't only be that small...
    The Earth can only be that big...
    The "in" thing rite now is to genetically modify us to 1/2 the size so that we can have 8 times the space...

Well, as long as there are DSLRs that still use CF cards, there will be SD-CF adaptors... so what's the problem?

As for whether SD will replace CF, that depends on whether SD becomes cheaper and denser than CD... when that happens, manufacturers will pick it as the media as choice.... like CF in the first place versus MS....

My prediction - CF will outlast all the rest of them. But you won't notice.

SD cards are accendant at the moment as the media of choice for consumer devices - and as capacities grow, DSLRs will probably eventually use them as well.
    SD also have 'digital rights management' stuff built in which the content providers want for those personal listening devices.

But outside our little photography and consumer electronics world there are large number of 'industrial' devices that take compact flash cards.
    Routers, 'streaming media gateways', audio guide 'information' kiosks... Lots of devices behind the scenes have a CF cards in them, holding their operating systems or configuration files. Devices that are expected to last many years not be a 'throw away consumer' item.

And I don't think CF will get supplanted by SD in these devices as the CF connector can be used for more than just flash memory - it's an entire small form-factor IO connector. You can easly get CF wireless ethernet cards and CF mobile phone cards, so the interface will continue to get designed into these small embeded controllers for some time to come.

SDIO interface products are also gaining momentum, bluetooth, ethernet, cameras and etc.