Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Demolition of Queenstown Cinema, Singapore

Default Re: 2013 Demolition of Queenstown Cinema, Singapore

On a side note, hopefully someone can tell me the fate of the two lion statues.

Thanks.

2011 JAN Margaret Drive and Queenstown, Singapore | xtemujin 360°Resources, Singapore

Did they repaint the building? I recall it used to be red, right? Or did my memory fail me?

Blog Entries

First of all..... most of the people living along that whole stretch from Commonwealth end to Queenstown prison side have moved out of the area and re-located around Dawson area nearby , it will likely continue to be a ghost town even if left alone .

LIFE made that area interesting ... not the buildings
    Last edited by ed9119; 18th June 2013 at 07:04 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

It is sad to see old buildings go. But developments have to be move on.

But new developments should also consider integrate with what was there. The pub near Somerset MRT, Cathay Theater are some good examples where development could still go on while retaining memories of the old places.

I kind of missed the place and yet I realised it has to go and now its gone, including the rest of the buildings... Studied in the "no-more Mei Chin Secondary School" at Mei Ling Street. Classmates and I used to go there after school by walking and also to leisure swimming at the Queenstown Swimming Complex... dont know the latter still there now. It brought back fond memories indeed. There were also the Queenstown Library, Tai Chong Bookshop and makan - the Quo Tia, Fried Kway Tiao, Ice Kachang etc etc. which we patronised frequently. With the rest, the Bowling Alley and cinema are iconic feature of that place. I believed and hope that the new developments will bring back life in that area. But I shall remembered it everytime I passed by via MRT...if those who have photos of the past Queenstown area, appreciate it if you can share with us here. Thank you in advance.

I used to live nearby and looked forward to visiting the area, from watching movies at the Queenstown /Jin Du cinemas to watching bowlers at the alley to makaning the wonton mee to creating havoc in the library to getting stitches at the clinic... ok, maybe not that last one. And I bought most of my toys at Tai Chung; or rather, my parents bought them for me
    When I returned many years ago and passed by the building, the red brick façade has been painted in the garish colours we see today. Big Bookshop and Winning Winter Wear are history. Tai Chung was long gone too. More than the buildings and shops though, it was going there as a family outing that made it so special.

I don't have any pictures of those years. Maybe the family archive might have some. The visual records I have reside only in my head.

I did snap the new building a couple years back:

It's a ghost town

Is this Queenstown also?

Quote Originally Posted by ahsim View Post
    It's a ghost town

I have done a round of shoots a few months ago...never thought it was my last chance....

slmka's LSO: Old Queenstown Cinema

slmka's LSO: Old Queentown Cinema #2

Quote Originally Posted by slmka View Post
    Is this Queenstown also?
    demolished few years back.
    along with this:

I have done a round of shoots a few months ago...never thought it was my last chance....

slmka's LSO: Old Queenstown Cinema

slmka's LSO: Old Queentown Cinema #2
    Very nice! Is that an SDF?

Nice work. Esp the doll having her hand on her waist. Btw, I was waiting for the new lens before going for it but too late. Fated.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Is this Queenstown also?
    the provision shop opp ntuc.. (b4 it was demolished beginning of last yr(?))
    the owner had a very quiet dog..

have to agree that once the life went out with the people, there really isnt any pt in keeping the building..
    in the decrepit existence of its last days, somebody would have to love it very much to spend money to restore it instead of tearing it down to build something with better returns..

they were cleaning up the inside of the cinema only last nov, only to tear it down now..?

my stash:

[QUOTE=kuanwk;8495049]the provision shop opp ntuc.. (b4 it was demolished beginning of last yr(?))

have to agree that once the life went out with the people, there really isnt any pt in keeping the building..
    in the decrepit existence of its last days, somebody would have to love it very much to spend money to restore it instead of tearing it down to build something with better returns..

they were cleaning up the inside of the cinema only last nov, only to tear it down now..?

my stash:

This 2 shoots are really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by silencer13 View Post
    Very nice! Is that an SDF?
    Similar, this is a Dollfie Dream from Volks (Saber Alter V2)

Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Nice work. Esp the doll having her hand on her waist. Btw, I was waiting for the new lens before going for it but too late. Fated.
    Thanks. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    the provision shop opp ntuc.. (b4 it was demolished beginning of last yr(?))

my stash:
    Totally fall head over heels for #1
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Chan View Post
    I kind of missed the place and yet I realised it has to go and now its gone, including the rest of the buildings... Studied in the "no-more Mei Chin Secondary School" at Mei Ling Street. Classmates and I used to go there after school by walking and also to leisure swimming at the Queenstown Swimming Complex... dont know the latter still there now. It brought back fond memories indeed. There were also the Queenstown Library, Tai Chong Bookshop and makan - the Quo Tia, Fried Kway Tiao, Ice Kachang etc etc. which we patronised frequently. With the rest, the Bowling Alley and cinema are iconic feature of that place. I believed and hope that the new developments will bring back life in that area. But I shall remembered it everytime I passed by via MRT...if those who have photos of the past Queenstown area, appreciate it if you can share with us here. Thank you in advance.
    now want to eat char kway teow need to go telok blangah
    want to eat guo tie need to go maxwell

Similar, this is a Dollfie Dream from Volks (Saber Alter V2)
    Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by kuanwk View Post
    my stash:
    This shot is a beauty!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast