Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789

Thread: LTA seeking feedback on COE

Default Re: LTA seeking feedback on COE

No matter what the allocation system is, those who failed by the system will KPKB

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by hanzohattori View Post
    No matter what the allocation system is, those who failed by the system will KPKB
    Eh. U drive or own a car or not?
    If not, I don't think u understand the situation well enough.

There is also a psychological thing: cars are seen as luxury items. For those taking public transportation and facing all the breakdowns and simply the squeeze, high COE will make (at least some of them) feel "shiok, serve you right" inside. Otherwise, if the government goes "out of their way" to help car buyers, they will incur the wrath of the larger segment of the population. -- just my theory.

Was at some conference on green transport.... This prof from govt planning group mentioned that the number govt hitting for is 75% on public transport, 25% ownership of cars.. Do your numbers.. Hehhee

Those need the car for work ( categories will need to be formalise) can have one car and those with special need like sick or handicap family members and children under 12 yrs can have a car. Max Total car per family is 2. The rest all don't qualify and have to take transport. Or just limit to one car per address, rental address or property rented out does not qualify. This will free up thousands of cars on the road. If the rich needs to drive to work and their Tai Tai needs to go high tea they will have to employ a driver, this creates job opportunities for locals. Those FT with rented property can rent a car for long term use. Promote the ease of use & cost of rental cars for weekend family user so less people will want to own a car to be cost effective for their family expenses.
    Canon 30D, G11, 50 f1.8II, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L IS, EX580II

Everyone of us will have our own reasoning and will try to justify why we should be entitled to own a car. The fact that we cannot have to numbers to meet demand, not everyone will be happy with whatever system you come up with.

Public transport will have to take care of all our needs. If you have young kids and need a car, how about the thousands that have kids without car? So pay if you want comfort that is my take.

At least we have a good alternative with our public transport system (yeah I heard you).

Our northern neighbors do not have the luxury and recently made the news by having the highest debt ratio.
    Do we really want to be in that situation and of course if depends on a lot of factors as well.

We can't please everyone, face the real world.

Saw the new ERP gantry up from Celmenti Ave 6 to AYE! Is the congestion due to cars coming from this direction or cars trying to get out from AYE to Dover? I notice AYE is clear after this junction.

LTA, please think 'out of the box' or remove that box of money before putting up more gantries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    Saw the new ERP gantry up from Celmenti Ave 6 to AYE! Is the congestion due to cars coming from this direction or cars trying to get out from AYE to Dover? I notice AYE is clear after this junction.

LTA, please think 'out of the box' or remove that box of money before putting up more gantries.
    The congestion is due to design issues as vehicles are coming in and out. After this point the traffic is clear and this is a almost a daily occurrence. We are probably the only country where the government collect more money from their own design mistakes. No wonder we are getting more eccentric road designs.
    Traffic in Tuas is also building up as the government is shifting the shipyards, port, biomedical hub, etc to there. There is also no new roads to take on the increased traffic. I think they are hoping to put up a gantries there.

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    I think they are hoping to put up a gantries there.
    Nah... ERP II coming... GPS based - you will be charged by exact distance or location traveled. Save taxpayers' money putting up and maintaining gantries.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...-2014-20131130
    Last edited by UncleFai; 8th April 2014 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    Nah... ERP II coming... GPS based - you will be charged by exact distance or location traveled. Save taxpayers' money putting up and maintaining gantries.

http://www.straitstimes.com/breaking...-2014-20131130
    Wow, we will be tracked by satellite. Only way to escape is to crash into the south Indian Ocean.

Name:  erp.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  40.9 KB
    http://seijieiga.blogspot.sg/2010/07...rp-system.html

Quote Originally Posted by UncleFai View Post
    low taxes, high car prices, things tend to even out.
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...-cars-20140611

Big-car COE supply to surpass that of small cars
    When the government issue more big car COE than small car COE is it telling the people that they should be driving bigger cars?

Quote Originally Posted by An drew View Post
    The congestion is due to design issues as vehicles are coming in and out. After this point the traffic is clear and this is a almost a daily occurrence. We are probably the only country where the government collect more money from their own design mistakes. No wonder we are getting more eccentric road designs.
    Traffic in Tuas is also building up as the government is shifting the shipyards, port, biomedical hub, etc to there. There is also no new roads to take on the increased traffic. I think they are hoping to put up a gantries there.
    They place ERP gantry where they can collect money. You think they are going to spend money where the return is poor? Similar to traffic light camera. High capture rate is not equal to effective camera. It means something wrong and should be look at immediately before accident happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bukitimah View Post
    LTA is seeking for feedback on COE

LTA seeking public feedback on COE, car ownership schemes

Whether you own a car or not, the COE will affect you. I guess it is still better to register your view and try to get LTA to listen. Otherwise, they will claim nobody gives feedback.

Car Ownership is a luxury in my opinion except for public transport. So, all public transport should not be burden with COE. Taxi and goods vehicle will be track to ensure they are strictly for commercial use. Impose heavy fine for those who infringe this. It is very common to see them use as personal transport.

The current COE system works but unfortunately, it is transferable and it ends up a commodity for trade.Traders are doing a roaring business, better than selling cars. How did they make it this way?

I am also not in favor of 2nd car owner has to pay more. A bigger family will always find a way to overcome this. Make this simple, you pay if you want to own a car, otherwise take public transport. No bidding of COE by others except the car owner AND the 50% down payment for the COE must be in CASH not banker guaranty.
    I am very confused about LTA. Why are they seeking feedback on COE and not on traffic Lights?

My feedback on Traffic Lights are they are very badly synchronized. Traffic light shows green but I cannot move because there are cars ahead of me with the traffic lights showing RED! For Them! When the lights change for them and they can move! Mine is RED!

Synchronize The Traffic Lights! and most congestion would be solved.

I am in favor of 2nd car owner pay more. One car per family, registered and tracked by the address. Why aren't you in favor of this?

My thoughts are, If you really have the money to buy a second car, would increasing petrol charges, ERP and parking charges seriously!!!! STOP YOU FROM BUYING THAT SECOND CAR!

The point here is not how many cars you own. Point is you pay more for the more cars you own with regards to COE, ERP, Road Tax and even Fuel. All these are Taxes which will improve the economy.
    Last edited by portal; 17th June 2014 at 02:12 AM.

I'm still waiting for a fellow CLUBSnapper 'prediction' that COE for bikes will hit $10K by Sept.... still waiting...

Scuba & Father... For Life

Someone wrote in today's ST forum that Singapore transport is cheaper than in NY and London. I am so glad Singapore is on par with the other 2 cities. Hope my boss read this and made adjustments to match that living standard.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4789