Thread: Step up rings Qns

Default Step up rings Qns

Hi

I currently have a set of 77mm Tiffen filters. In order to use these 77mm filters on my 52mm lenses, I suppose step up rings have to be used. Just to ask. What is the Max number of step up rings that I can use to step up? I was told by Alex Photo at Peninsula that I can step up only if I use 4 rings. I'm kind of worried about using that many rings. Anyone knows if there's actually a 52-77mm step ring available out there? Will the use of 4 rings cause vignetting on my 28mm lens? I once had quite bad vignetting from the use of a non-proper hood. Not sure if using that number of rings has the same effect.
    Last edited by uris1982; 20th April 2005 at 01:06 AM.

step up wun cause vignets.. step down will
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Generally that's my understanding. However with 4 step up rings....I'm skeptical. On a wide angle lens like a 28mm even having the wrong hood will cause vignetting. Serious vignetting actually...can't remember which hood. Doesn't the placing of more rings increase the distance between the lens front element and the filter? similar to the effect of a hood right? Just wondering if it will really affect.