Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Just getting an opinion from folks that have been to there.....

    Going on a 7 day trip in a few days time and wondering to bring 1dx/24-70/70-200 + tripod OR omd/12-35/35-100 w/o tripod?

    Wondering if there is enough space on the sidewalk to park the manfrotto 055cx3 tripod and also bringing the setup up a bus full of pushy chineses....
    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  2. #2

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    i opt for omd option + get a travel tripod like the small sirui one like the t005x(? cant remember exact model)

    rather travel light while on holiday.

  3. #3
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,898

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    OMD w/ 12-35 and 35-100. Might throw in a prime 17/1.8 too. I've been to China: Suzhou, Hangzhou, Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai etc and have always been more than satisfied bringing along maximum weight EP3 + 14-150 mm and a prime.

    Trust me, u will really want to travel light. And the above-mentioned combo u gave for MFT already covers the focal lengths u may need

    Actually I'd even go lighter and bring along my Fuji x20 instead for the days where I really wan to go street shooting and don't want to scare pple off with a huge camera.

    enjoy e trip!

  4. #4

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    All the 4 places require some climbing, hence recommend to go light. Go very early when the park opens for JiuZhaiGou, once the crowd comes in, it's difficult to setup tripod especially on the boardwalk. The vibrations from the boardwalk will also kill your long expo. Air at HuangLong is also quite thin, so easier to climb light. I make phototrips to China every year with a m43 and 6 lens but that's just me.

  5. #5
    Moderator keithwee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    LittleRedDot
    Posts
    7,898

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    I'm curious, 6 lenses? Which are they?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    i opt for omd option + get a travel tripod like the small sirui one like the t005x(? cant remember exact model)

    rather travel light while on holiday.
    couldnt find anything brands i am familiar with at the local electronics/computer city and limited choices...picked one with the brand "OBO", seems well constructed for 1000rmb.

    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    OMD w/ 12-35 and 35-100. Might throw in a prime 17/1.8 too. I've been to China: Suzhou, Hangzhou, Beijing, Nanjing, Shanghai etc and have always been more than satisfied bringing along maximum weight EP3 + 14-150 mm and a prime.

    Trust me, u will really want to travel light. And the above-mentioned combo u gave for MFT already covers the focal lengths u may need

    Actually I'd even go lighter and bring along my Fuji x20 instead for the days where I really wan to go street shooting and don't want to scare pple off with a huge camera.

    enjoy e trip!
    i'll bring along the 25/1.4 w/ the 2 panasonic zooms. i'm so looking forward to the 10th

    i have to agree, big camera scares a lot of ppl, just lifting it up and ppl will clear out of your way! lol
    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by Avonez View Post
    All the 4 places require some climbing, hence recommend to go light. Go very early when the park opens for JiuZhaiGou, once the crowd comes in, it's difficult to setup tripod especially on the boardwalk. The vibrations from the boardwalk will also kill your long expo. Air at HuangLong is also quite thin, so easier to climb light. I make phototrips to China every year with a m43 and 6 lens but that's just me.
    thanks for the advice!

    do you post your china pics somehwere?
    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    I'm curious, 6 lenses? Which are they?
    the 6 primes?

    12/2 - 17/1.8 - 45/1.8 - 60/2.8 - 75/1.8 and 25/1.4?
    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    23

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowcarIX View Post
    Just getting an opinion from folks that have been to there.....

    Going on a 7 day trip in a few days time and wondering to bring 1dx/24-70/70-200 + tripod OR omd/12-35/35-100 w/o tripod?

    Wondering if there is enough space on the sidewalk to park the manfrotto 055cx3 tripod and also bringing the setup up a bus full of pushy chineses....
    Was at JZG last Oct, brought along D600 & 24-120mm, quite manageable. Not easy to set up tripod as everywhere was so crowded. Also those wooden pathway defeat the purpose of setting up tripod. If you are using public bus, do set off early and go to the highest point and move downward to avoid the crowd. As someone mentioned, the air in Huang Long is quite thin, do travel there light. Actually DSLRs were common sight there.

  11. #11

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by keithwee View Post
    I'm curious, 6 lenses? Which are they?
    3 zooms and 3 primes. That's the beauty of a miniaturised system and was one of the early adopter of the m4/3 system.

  12. #12

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowcarIX View Post
    thanks for the advice!

    do you post your china pics somehwere?

    Only once here, maybe will do so when I am back from my silkroad trip later this month. One more thing, the best frontal shot of the Leshan buddha is taken from a boat, the jetty is a distance away ( I took mine from the opposite bank). You can also see some other cliff carvings on the side of the cliff wall which you can't see from Leshan park. You can do the close-up buddha walk at Leshan park then take the boat (or vice versa) if you have enough time.
    Last edited by Avonez; 9th June 2013 at 11:51 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    West
    Posts
    2,808

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Don't forget to bring along a CPL.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by Catchair View Post
    Was at JZG last Oct, brought along D600 & 24-120mm, quite manageable. Not easy to set up tripod as everywhere was so crowded. Also those wooden pathway defeat the purpose of setting up tripod. If you are using public bus, do set off early and go to the highest point and move downward to avoid the crowd. As someone mentioned, the air in Huang Long is quite thin, do travel there light. Actually DSLRs were common sight there.
    thanks for the advice - will go early and make it to the end of the trail and work my way down.
    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by Avonez View Post
    Only once here, maybe will do so when I am back from my silkroad trip later this month. One more thing, the best frontal shot of the Leshan buddha is taken from a boat, the jetty is a distance away ( I took mine from the opposite bank). You can also see some other cliff carvings on the side of the cliff wall which you can't see from Leshan park. You can do the close-up buddha walk at Leshan park then take the boat (or vice versa) if you have enough time.
    thanks for the info....arrived too late in chengdu to go see the buddha. will visit ermei/buddha when we get done with jiuzhaigou on the return trip.
    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by Daoyin View Post
    Don't forget to bring along a CPL.
    yep, got one with me.
    thx!
    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    sg/china
    Posts
    162

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    the tripod is pretty much useless...the wooden platforms bounce quite a bit with the crowd moving thru....

    got a problem....my cpl is stuck to the filter, both low profile. anyone has a good suggestion how to wrestle them apart?
    canon, nikon, sony, panasonic, olympus cameras

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    sewage drain/manhole
    Posts
    5,011

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    Quote Originally Posted by SlowcarIX View Post
    the tripod is pretty much useless...the wooden platforms bounce quite a bit with the crowd moving thru....

    got a problem....my cpl is stuck to the filter, both low profile. anyone has a good suggestion how to wrestle them apart?
    General Brand Filter Wrench (Set of 2) B&H Photo Video

    Ever Get a Filter Stuck on Your Lens? - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

    HTH

  19. #19

    Default Re: JiuZhaiGou+HuangLong+Le San +ErMei San - FF or m4/3...........

    gorilla pod + OMD + 9-18mm + 12 50mm + 60mm macro is more suitable for me...
    since its a lil bit hard to use prime lens during travelling and limited time/space to do "proper set up"

    *just my opinion*

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •