Thread: Serenity

Default Serenity

1. Critique sought
    Would like to know about my composition and the colours that emerged in this shot. Did it capture the mood I intended.

2. What I hope to achieve with this piece?
    I love the sea and the peace and serenity that come with it. With this early morning shot at Sungei Kadut, I had hoped to capture the morning serenity and the peace I felt at the scene that morning.

3. Under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
    Equipment: Fuji X100S 23mm fixed
    ISO:200
    Shutter:160
    F-Stop: 16.0
    Flash:No
    Taken Hand Held

4.What the Critique seeker personally thinks of the picture?
    I feel that the picture does capture the essence of the mood – calm and serene. However, I am a little worried about the purple hue that seems to appear on most of my morning shots that day. Is it too ‘fake’ – and did I go wrong with the WB?

Thanking you for your comments in advance. I hope to improve my shots.

Default Re: Serenity

i feel the framing with the trees is a bit tight.

different people have different interpretations of what is serene (and what is dull).

your contextual experience (wind, temperature, birds sound, stillness etc) is not transmittable (no matter how good the photographer is).
    good images only inspire and evoke contextual experiences which viewers can relate to.

I do not feel anything from your image. the trees are awkwardly framed and are dark , their mass does not contribute interesting detail (due to the species of tree) and instead just block up the sky which I felt may have redeeming quality if shown in larger quantity. sorry for my blunt critique.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Thank you Shizuma. Appreciate honesty since another eye and opinion is always appreciated

The concept of framing a photo is good, but in your case the trees and the darkness of the ground was too much in area covered, try not over doing it. If you use the GND filter will help to bring out details from ground. The purple hue can easily pp away.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

If possible, walk down a few steps towards the water. The trees will get further up in the frame and give way to the sun.
    EOS

brighten the image slightly would be better.