Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hot shoe external flash(non ttl) for digital camera

zephyr
    Guests

Default hot shoe external flash(non ttl) for digital camera

Hi,

Can anyone kindly advise on which hot shoe external flash is suitable for Digital Camera? Not those expensive kind, mabbe buget around 60+. Hopefully those with low voltage to prevent it from being fried. Hopefully not too big as well as my digicam is not that big. Juz own a Epson 3100Z. Thanks!

you could try Achiever 260T (around $36-38). Streetshooter has some which are low voltage. one I had is quite high.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

zephyr
    Guests

Originally posted by mpenza
    you could try Achiever 260T (around $36-38). Streetshooter has some which are low voltage. one I had is quite high.
    Hi, May i know where I can get them at $36-38?? Tried one at Alan's photo and they quoted me $60! and I heard that the voltage is quite high for Achiever 260T. Where can I find streetshooter? thanks.

they're not so honest with their prices. They quoted me $60 too but after I told them Cathay Photo quoted me $36, the price dropped immediately to that level.

My previous equote from Cathay Photo:

item :
    1) Achiever 828TW external flash @ S$27.00
    2) Achiever TZ250 @ S$41.00
    3) Achiever 260T @ S$36.00

Date : 29 Dec 2001

However, don't get the 828TW external flash. It's fully manual with no auto mode and it'll be a pain to use it! TZ250 is similar to the 260T except that it has additional "feet" for TTL. could also be triggered by a standard hotshoe but could scratch it.
    Last edited by mpenza; 3rd September 2002 at 12:24 AM.

zephyr
    Guests

they're not so honest with their prices. I've checked my previous equote from Cathay Photo:

item :
    1) Achiever 828TW external flash @ S$27.00
    2) Achiever 321AZ - not available
    3) Achiever 260T @ S$36.00

Date : 29 Dec 2001

However, don't get the 828TW external flash. It's fully manual with no auto mode and it'll be a pain to use it!
    Wow.. that's a big difference! Hmmm.. u mentioned something about the streetshooter, so where can I find it? I heard that 260T has a very high voltage... I dun think I wanna get that? any other recommendation? I dun wanna fry my digicam. So sorry that i kept asking, i still very green in this. thanks

Originally posted by zephyr

Wow.. that's a big difference! Hmmm.. u mentioned something about the streetshooter, so where can I find it?
    In SLS, hehehe!!!

Sorry just kidding. Streetshooter is a fellow member of ClubSnap. you can PM him or do a search to see all his wonderfull works!

haha the StreetShooterShop...
    erm, was thinking your digicam must be quite a good model to have hotshoe, why not buy the vivitar 285HV? the excess power is good when u do rebound (paiseh too much basketball) flash and when u need to clear tourists really quickly
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

I heard that 260T has a very high voltage... I dun think I wanna get that? any other recommendation? I dun wanna fry my digicam. So sorry that i kept asking, i still very green in this. thanks
    The high voltage is probably from me

The Achiever TZ250 @ S$41.00 has low voltage.

Actually you could try to get a 2nd hand model. Someone is selling a Vivitar 285HV in the Buy&Sell and it's really a very good and powerful flash.

zephyr
    Guests

The high voltage is probably from me

The Achiever TZ250 @ S$41.00 has low voltage.

Actually you could try to get a 2nd hand model. Someone is selling a Vivitar 285HV in the Buy&Sell and it's really a very good and powerful flash.
    Lolz... how did u measure it in the 1st place? Hmmmmm.. is vivitar 285HV big compare to achiever 260T?? My digicam is not really that big and i guess it will look kinda weird if i were to mount a big flash on a small cam. Hmmm... I tried the achiever 260T b4... and it's pretty good.. what a pity if the voltage were to spoil everything... darn! nothing is perfect i guess.. thanks for ur help dude....

I used a multimeter to measure the voltage. The 285HV is big and probably heavier than your camera.

check out the specs here:
    http://www.vivitar.com/Products/Flas...ash.html#285HV

it's big... think Transformer toy...
    "I'm... dreaming... of a wide... angle~
    Just like the ones I used to know~"

zephyr
    Guests

Originally posted by denizenx
    it's big... think Transformer toy...
    Geez! i think that's gonna be pretty big.. my camera not really very good lah.. and it's not very big too.. It's a Epson 3100Z... the internal flash sucks, that's why i wanna get a external flash...

Geez! i think that's gonna be pretty big.. my camera not really very good lah.. and it's not very big too.. It's a Epson 3100Z... the internal flash sucks, that's why i wanna get a external flash...
    Let me confirm that...it IS bigger and (with batteries) heavier than your camera. However, it can probably last you for a long time even if you upgrade your camera. Your Epson3100 is pretty decent and you can definitely take good shots with it. The main concern however would be the balance on the camera if you fit a large flash on top. It might be strenuous on your wrist since the centre of gravity is now totally on top.

zephyr
    Guests

Originally posted by Zerstorer

Let me confirm that...it IS bigger and (with batteries) heavier than your camera. However, it can probably last you for a long time even if you upgrade your camera. Your Epson3100 is pretty decent and you can definitely take good shots with it. The main concern however would be the balance on the camera if you fit a large flash on top. It might be strenuous on your wrist since the centre of gravity is now totally on top.
    I'm looking at achiever 828, think it's slightly smaller, wonder if CP carries it.

I'm looking at achiever 828, think it's slightly smaller, wonder if CP carries it.
    Don't get the 828! It's a manual-only flash and really a pain to use. You have to adjust the aperture every time you take a pic depending on the distance the subject is from the flash.

An auto flash would be much easier to use.

To requote what I mentioned earlier:
    However, don't get the 828TW external flash. It's fully manual with no auto mode and it'll be a pain to use it! TZ250 is similar to the 260T except that it has additional "feet" for TTL. could also be triggered by a standard hotshoe but could scratch it.

zephyr
    Guests

Don't get the 828! It's a manual-only flash and really a pain to use. You have to adjust the aperture every time you take a pic depending on the distance the subject is from the flash.

An auto flash would be much easier to use.

To requote what I mentioned earlier:
    Oh.. then I guess i'm left with achiever 260T... anyway, my camera still got warranty... think i will take the risk.. see whether will fry my camera or not....

Geez! i think that's gonna be pretty big.. my camera not really very good lah..
    I beg to differ. The Epson 3100Z is one solid camera with a great lens....

zephyr
    Guests

I beg to differ. The Epson 3100Z is one solid camera with a great lens....
    lolz... how? sell me ur metz 32z-1 lah. haha..

lolz... how? sell me ur metz 32z-1 lah. haha..
    How much you offer?

zephyr
    Guests

How much you offer?
    how long have u been using it??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast