Thread: Traveling with Monopod

Default Traveling with Monopod

Hi all,

I'll be traveling to paris and copenhagen next week, was wondering if i should get a monopod (and which model) with me?

I have a tripod, but i thought i will probably look like a fool trying to get it ready and then mount my camera on etc..

Here are stuff i like to take:

Night scenic shots (night shots generally)

Architecture

Wide angle photography (using a tamron 17-50, intend to do panoramic shots)

Gear - D300s , Tamron 17-50

Any advise?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Traveling with Monopod

With the kind of photography that you intend to do, there is no monopod that can do the job. Stick to your tripod. Get the traveller series, which is lighter and smaller foldable length than conventional ones.

Hi,

you will look more like a funny person using a mono pod for night shot leh. Bring your tripod bro. There are many times I heard my friends being lazy and refuse to bring their tripod. Especially mostly night shots.

You don't need a monopod for day shoot. For night scenery, monopod is not very useful for long exposure. Instead of bringing something that doesn't really serve you well, might as well just bring a tripod. You can buy one of those traveler series which is quite small and light and can easily packed into the bag

Quote Originally Posted by thirtyone View Post
    Night scenic shots (night shots generally)
    Definitely tripod. Unless you intend to shoot handheld with at high ISO settings. Monopod will not give that level of stability
    Quote Originally Posted by thirtyone View Post
    I have a tripod, but i thought i will probably look like a fool trying to get it ready and then mount my camera on etc..
    That will necessitate a change in mindset. :-(

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    Definitely tripod. Unless you intend to shoot handheld with at high ISO settings. Monopod will not give that level of stability

That will necessitate a change in mindset. :-(

Ryan

Thanks for your reply! Yeah, conclusion - sticking to my tripod! for the sake of good shots!

You should get a carbon fiber tripod, it's lightweight, great for traveling.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderer View Post
    You should get a carbon fiber tripod, it's lightweight, great for traveling.
    just returned from EU 2 wks back.
    Ya, given though a tripod is bulky, you wont regret carrying it during the tripod. Carbon fiber is top advise for travel light.
    Good for couple shot, good for long exposure minus away the con of high ISO. I missed taking the night view of the streets.

given my R1204 sirui CB tripod, though its light, I find it bulky still.

I come across 3LeggedThing, the Brian series travel tripod looks good with monopod included in its design.
    Not saying 3LT is good and Sirui do not have the similar design but 3LT Brian able to stretch 2m for light stand purpose. Sorry to stray away from main topic.

can any bros recommend a decent budget travel tripod please? thanks..

your budget?

About $150. I have read that a tripod would be quite cumbersome on travels but am still tempted to bring along a light yet decent one every now and then.. Thanks

Cheap tripod don't come light, light tripod don't come cheap. Don't stinge on tripod, else even if u buy a cheap and heavy one, high chance you won't ever want to bring after first use. Many people make the mistake of setting budget too low, only to find themselves buying a lighter CF tripod and junk the cheap one.
    Last edited by user12343; 23rd June 2013 at 08:07 PM.
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    About $150. I have read that a tripod would be quite cumbersome on travels but am still tempted to bring along a light yet decent one every now and then.. Thanks
    S$150 on a tripod is pretty decent, especially for a small travel one. However, you would need to plan for yourself to see if a tripod is really needed for your travel.

I just return from Japan (Osaka to be precise) on a vacation. As I am travelling with a tour group (and sometime, you know tour group is all about rushing you to tourist attraction location, take a few photos then rushes you back to the bus) so deploying tripod is basically not possible. Plus the bus is cramped and so it is really difficult... So I didn't bring my tripod (not missing it during my duration of the vacation too).

I would have brought my monopod... but I find that my monopod weighs almost as much as my travel tripod, so I don't want to do that. Anyway, it would be good for you to actually plan and look at where you want to go, what you wanted to do and how to get there. All these will have impact on what type of tripod to take, buy or deployed.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Thanks. Appreciate the comments on not stinging on a tripod. I will wait till end of this week to see how much I have to work with.. Any recommendations for a decent tripod thats suitable for travel? Easy to carry and light..

it all depends what type of gear u are bringing (PnS, m4/3, DSLR, etc) and what is the max load of the gear you are putting on the tripod when traveling.
    "You will not be remembered for the gear you used, but by the photographs you created"

Blog Entries

use a regular tripod or even better .... save alot of weight and use a TABLE TOP tripod

eg a Manfrotto 345 ... i think there are other japanese and china versions that are cheaper and gets the job done as well .... they're mostly below $100 (except Manfrotto which is a little more)
    I replaced the provided ballhead with a similar sized China-made ballhead which has a quick-release plate and mechanism which makes deployment super rapid (15sec or less ... spread open legs and clip on the camera to the head )

photo courtesy of B&H Photovideo
    Last edited by ed9119; 25th June 2013 at 08:13 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Actually I do already have a joby gorillapod for my nex6. It's worked fine for me on a recent hk trip. Was just wondering whether a full sized tripod would be even more useful when I head to France and Italy next week.

Quote Originally Posted by richiemccaw1 View Post
    Thanks. Appreciate the comments on not stinging on a tripod. I will wait till end of this week to see how much I have to work with.. Any recommendations for a decent tripod thats suitable for travel? Easy to carry and light..
    Well... I am using a Gitzo 1 series and a Sirui C-10 head for my OMD... when I need greater height, I would use the free Canon given tripod (actually pretty good). For my 7D, I stick to my Gitzo 2 series.

Anyway, Sirui made great tripod, Benro too.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Was looking at the Giottos QU100 mini tripod which has good reviews but it's impossible to find online.

It looks similar to Manfrotto but at half the cost.

Maybe forced to get the Horusbennu/Fotomate mini tripod which I'm not too keen on.