Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sabah Trip in May Mt.KK- seeking advices...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines & Sydney
    Posts
    256

    Default Sabah Trip in May Mt.KK- seeking advices...

    Hi all,
    Writing to seek advices for my coming Sabah mountain trip in May.
    I am thinking if it is advisable to lurk my 20D and lens all the way up the mountian, any of you have done that before? Is it too big a chore? Coz i heard some parts of the mt. we would have to use rope to help us up and so on...
    I am actually thinking of just bringing up my compact panasonic LC5 for the mountain but i know that i will be limited by it for the trip...
    Any advice? And the temp up on the mt is quite cold, how to maintain the camera up there?
    Please help me.
    Thanks all...
    Cheers-

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines & Sydney
    Posts
    256

    Default

    anyone?
    thanks

  3. #3

    Default

    It is not a problem bringing the dslr up the mountain. The climb is relatively easy but a certain level of fitness is still required if you want to enjoy the climb. Very little risks or dangers involved if you just watched your steps. Just bring along the $3 SAF poncho if you want to and this trusty old gear is enough to cover yourself and the camera. I brought along a film SLR the other time. Attach a standard zoom lens instead of telephoto lens for easy handling though. Good Luck!

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines & Sydney
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yezrah
    It is not a problem bringing the dslr up the mountain. The climb is relatively easy but a certain level of fitness is still required if you want to enjoy the climb. Very little risks or dangers involved if you just watched your steps. Just bring along the $3 SAF poncho if you want to and this trusty old gear is enough to cover yourself and the camera. I brought along a film SLR the other time. Attach a standard zoom lens instead of telephoto lens for easy handling though. Good Luck!
    Hi Yezrah,
    thanks for the info mate i know a certain level of fitness is needed, have been excersing, climbing bukit timah hill etc hope is ebough.
    What i am worried is about the vertical climb at the last part with the ropes... will my camera equipments be too hard to carry there? also with the water needed to carry along, i think my bag will be real heavy... well maybe i should just bring one lens... how much water you carried along? Another friend here in CS told me that i would have to have abt 2-3 litres of water ready, will that be enough? c
    thanks again

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Bk Panjang
    Posts
    35

    Default

    Lets put it this way, if you are very fit. Go ahead with your idea. Very heavy bag with photog equip + water + ... How heavy is it going to be? Do you plan to change lenses when you are up there? Somethings to consider....

    Always good to bring different lenses but are you going to use everything? Some things for you think about.....

    IMHO just a standard zoom lens + slr body is good enuf

  6. #6

    Default Seems ok

    Come on, it's 2 kg max for the body + lens if you leave behind the tripod, flash, battery grip, notebook/charger, etc. Do some exercise, lose 1-2 kg before May, I don't see why it should be a problem.


    Wai Leong
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by CLQ
    Hi all,
    Writing to seek advices for my coming Sabah mountain trip in May.
    I am thinking if it is advisable to lurk my 20D and lens all the way up the mountian, any of you have done that before? Is it too big a chore? Coz i heard some parts of the mt. we would have to use rope to help us up and so on...
    I am actually thinking of just bringing up my compact panasonic LC5 for the mountain but i know that i will be limited by it for the trip...
    Any advice? And the temp up on the mt is quite cold, how to maintain the camera up there?
    Please help me.
    Thanks all...
    Cheers-

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Tampines & Sydney
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by waileong
    Come on, it's 2 kg max for the body + lens if you leave behind the tripod, flash, battery grip, notebook/charger, etc. Do some exercise, lose 1-2 kg before May, I don't see why it should be a problem.


    Wai Leong
    ===
    Quote Originally Posted by Tze-Ming
    Lets put it this way, if you are very fit. Go ahead with your idea. Very heavy bag with photog equip + water + ... How heavy is it going to be? Do you plan to change lenses when you are up there? Somethings to consider....

    Always good to bring different lenses but are you going to use everything? Some things for you think about.....

    IMHO just a standard zoom lens + slr body is good enuf
    Hi Tze Ming, Wai Leong,
    Thanks for the replies. i have been thinking,if i bring my DSLR, i will only bring the 17-40L (for wide angle) and 50mm F1.8 (very light anyway and for low light situations).
    Not only i must consider water, i must also bring along some clothings for the low temp up there (i heard can drop to almost 0C) also some food rations, tourch light etc...
    Actually if i lose another 1 or 2 kg i think i will be soon underweight haha. have to go train up my stamina man, i was struggling even for Bukit Timah hill

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CLQ
    Hi Yezrah,
    thanks for the info mate i know a certain level of fitness is needed, have been excersing, climbing bukit timah hill etc hope is ebough.
    What i am worried is about the vertical climb at the last part with the ropes... will my camera equipments be too hard to carry there? also with the water needed to carry along, i think my bag will be real heavy... well maybe i should just bring one lens... how much water you carried along? Another friend here in CS told me that i would have to have abt 2-3 litres of water ready, will that be enough? c
    thanks again
    The vertical climb won't be too hard. If the mountain guides can walk up that stretch without ropes, it shouldn't be a problem. The rest of us hold on to the ropes simply because we are afraid or unfamiliar with the terrain. 2-3 litres would be enough depending on how fast you drink. FYI, I didn't train climbing any hills and just jog a few rounds around my neighbourhood. Ha ha......everybody doing the climb might experience slight to moderate altitude sickness.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •