Thread: More staff photographers getting the axe in journalism

Default More staff photographers getting the axe in journalism

Good news for freelancers and STOMPers.

Default Re: More staff photographers getting the axe in journalism

A bit off topic: While reading your link, stumbled upon this photo essay about Area 5 Detectives. It seems like they are homicide detectives.

Very nice photo work. Very sad to see photog who gives such an excellent work being laid off.
    Last edited by Foxshade; 31st May 2013 at 05:12 PM.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

There is no icing on the cake for anyone. Not the freelancer, not the stomper. Why ? Cos now the job of getting some image to go with the words is the writers job. If they use any sent in image it will modt probably be without credit or miscredited, if they pay any thing it will not be more than 30buck most probably some vouchers whuch they may have gotten nearly free. Its like use me for free or free wucks. So who wants to be a free wuck ?

One of the axed photographers started a tumblr. That bit about them receiving training + new equipment just a month ago, really shows how unexpected it must have been.

Rob Hart was replaced with a reporter with an iPhone, so he is documenting his new life with an iPhone, but with the eye of a photojournalist trained in storytelling.

Rob Hart is a Freelance Photojournalist and Adjunct Faculty of Photojournalism at the Medill School of Journalism.

http://laidofffromthesuntimes.tumblr.com/
    Rob Hart has started a Tumblr site called "Laid Off from the Sun-Times" where he's charting his day-to-day activities post-firing using an iPhone "but with the eye of a photojournalist trained in storytelling," he writes.

Hart told Chicagoist in a phone interview that the Sun-Times' decision to fire their photographers was made "to save money."

"The people who own the paper look at it as a business," he said. "They brought Nikon reps in a month ago to give us training in shooting and editing video, bought new cameras that allow us to shoot video, and then they do this?"

Hart also doubted the mandatory iPhone photography training for reporters would bridge the gap. "Look, an iPhone can be used to take amazing photographs. But not every owner of an iPhone has the ability to capture a moment and tell a story with pictures the way a photojournalist can." Hart said he spoke with a Sun-Times reporter who had to shoot photos for two feature stories and "didn't realize how hard it was" to shoot and edit photos into a story.

"I don't think (reporters shooting pictures with iPhones) will succeed," Hart added. "Everything is done on the cheap. I don't think anything they do has a chance of succeeding."

As for his Tumblr, Hart said he doesn't know how long it will remain active but, while it is, he plans to bring a couple other former Sun-Times photogs aboard to contribute. Would John H. White, the Pulitzer Prize winner who has been the most visible former Sun-Times photographer in the media after the layoffs? Hart said that would be unlikely.

"It would be tough to get John H. White to Instagram," said Hart, who considers White a "mentor."

Former Sun-Times Photographer Captures Life After The Layoffs: Chicagoist
    Last edited by kandinsky; 4th June 2013 at 12:17 PM.

As an ah cir, i taught and spoke to the students of JJC that this was the way. iPhone and public photojournalism was the way to go.

They (the students) scorn at my mentioned. They all wanted to grow up to work as press journalist.
    Don't brag about your accomplishments; Show us your future works.

iphone is wide angle, so can't telephoto. Which means the reporters need to be in the heat of the action. Maybe get splashed, slashed, stabbed, slapped, snapped, whatever. Higher risk.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by JacePhoto View Post
    As an ah cir, i taught and spoke to the students of JJC that this was the way. iPhone and public photojournalism was the way to go.

They (the students) scorn at my mentioned. They all wanted to grow up to work as press journalist.
    Some years ago, I was shooting a particular opening where they invited a high level minister so the press was there too. There, there was this young photojournalist from one of our local papers very enthusiastic but sadly also very egotistic, for whatever reasons, maybe its a generation thing. When I asked him how much the paper pays him as a junior staffer, I was mildly shocked, especially so when I sensed he probably already inflated that amount a bit to look better. I know the stringers earn less than my assistant on a per job basis, but did not expect junior staffers to earn that low. Did not have the heart nor it is wise to prick his colorful bubble.

After news, the next genre of pro photography will be...