Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help - CCD vs CMOS sensors

Wow so many opinion on CCD & CMOS...

We must ask ourselves why we want to throw so much money into a CCD sensor DSLR where noise level is higher while prosumer Sony F828 can produce similar sharpness as they using the same CCD sensor manufacturer.

Personally I had chosen CMOS as they can produce the best noise level control as compare with other sensor like the CMOS cam (Canon 1D Mk II) @ISO 800 vs CCD cam (Nikon D2H) ISO 200

See below pic from a well recognise website (DSLR tester)

Quote Originally Posted by John Tan
    Wow so many opinion on CCD & CMOS...

We must ask ourselves why we want to throw so much money into a CCD sensor DSLR where noise level is higher while prosumer Sony F828 can produce similar sharpness as they using the same CCD sensor manufacturer.

Personally I had chosen CMOS as they can produce the best noise level control as compare with other sensor like the CMOS cam (Canon 1D Mk II) @ISO 800 vs CCD cam (Nikon D2H) ISO 200

See below pic from a well recognise website (DSLR tester)

For Canon 1D MKII, does the in-camera noise reduction algorithm automatically kicks in when shoot above ISO100? B'cos one of the CSer pointed out in another post that the frame rate drops when ISO is increased due to the NR-algorithm.

i agree sensor do make a differenece. CMOS/CCD/JFET/Froveon/SuperCCD each has it's own strong points. A sensor that produces the least noise produces better contrast and finer details with better DR. It is better than using in-camera NR algos or NR during the filtering process as it will soften the image to some extend (exception to dark frame subtraction method).

Edit: It's a matter of scissors, paper and stone. Each new technology will aim to overcome the existing problems posed by other technologies. But itself will create another set of problems, which may not exist in the other sensors.

I'm always sceptical about the way CCD works would ever produce accurate pictures (if you understand how the CCD works by pushing electrons 1 to another) over CMOS. That is also probably (it's just my guess) why the higher end pro bodies do not use simple grid arrayed CCD sensors.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 18th April 2005 at 12:55 PM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    A sensor that produces the least noise produces better contrast and finer details with better DR.

choose to differ with this point. contrast, details & better DR can be adjusted in h/w or s/w. not neccessarily lower noise means better of the above 3. there r people who complained about softer images with their Canon gears at ISO1600. lower noise than competitors? yes. better details? not quite. better contrast? also not quite. better DR? can be 'enhanced' using tone curves.

so the base of the sensor quality is still as important as the supporting h/w & s/w.

Quote Originally Posted by nightpiper
    any electronic engineers wants to clarify if JFET is a type of CMOS? for what i understand in my school days, JFET belongs to the CMOS family (both use the field effect to trigger the transistor). BJT is a family on its own.
    JFETs (junction field effect transistor) and MOSFETs (metal oxide semiconductor field effect transistor) are different animals. CMOS is not a type of transistor, but refers to combining complementary (n- and p-channel) MOSFETs in a push-pull circuit.

thx for clarifying.

and sorry for my blunder.

Account Suspended

Tks to all who replied.
    I am now much better informed about the heart of the systems.
    That leaves checking out the processor (brains), the lens (eyes), the storage media (digestive system) etc

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12