Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Olympus E-P5 - Hands-On Preview

Default re: Olympus E-P5 - Hands-On Preview

Dynamic Range

At base ISO 200, E-P5 should give the best dynamic range if the sensor hasn't been changed this is what you get from JPEG, if shot with Raw it will be even better.

F7.1, ISO200, 14-42mm MKIIR @ 14mm, 1/640sec. Gradation set to auto (this help to increase the dynamic range further by lifting the shadows areas. OOC jpeg.

Controls

Plethora of controls in E-P5, introducing the 2x2 dial control to give maximum control as well as customization to settings you used more commonly. 2 dials front and rear x 2 control lever (shown as 1 or 2 on the first picture).

2 dials can switch between front and rear dials for use with forefingers & right thumb for quick access. E-P3 only has 1 rear control thumbwheel, while E-PLx series only has a scroll wheel which requires the right thumb to awkwardly move down to the 4 way control and scroll. This arrangement is close to OMD E-M5 but further you can change front dial for exposure control of F stop, exposure value, flash exposure, shutter value and depends on the control you are at. By switching the control lever, the dial arrangements can be switched to WB, ISO, AF mode, movie recording.

Focus Peaking

You can set some buttons to use focus peaking if using manual lenses (non 4/m43) , i use the zoom button, if using 43/m43 you don't need to assign a button for that. One can choose the edge peaking color to be black or white. Once you press it, no need to hold, it will be change to FP mode. Great for manual focus lens and macro usage.
    it does induce a bit of lag (kindly note it's pre-production set).

Here's one with an Olympus OM 50/1.4 @ F1.4

Last edited by wonglp; 3rd June 2013 at 10:23 AM.

For focus peaking, the white edging seems to work better for me. A shot like this below, with a manual focus lens you can see the white edge moves along the row of books. With Voigtlander 25/0.95 wide open. You probably can see which BPL club I support

Last edited by wonglp; 3rd June 2013 at 01:20 AM.

The LCD screen

E-P5 spots a new LCD screen, which I prefer over OLED in terms of color reproduction, and the 1.04M dots LCD. 3:2 aspect ratio is certainly better than the E-PL5's 16:9 sort of weird really. Even though the 1.04M is as impressive as it can be on specs, on most situations it's very useable, except when shoot against sun/strong backlight, that's where the VF4 would be useful. Here's a couple of shot which was tough to shoot, the tilt screen and touch focus came useful. Camera was placed almost on the floor for the first one. The touch screen AF is very fast, I normally use single point AF, but sometimes the subject is not at that point, so touch screen is a fast way to change the focus point, and even at time for quick action shots like kids.

Olympus 17mm/1.8 @ F1.8. ISO200. 1/1600s.

Olympus 17mm/1.8 @ F1.8. ISO200. 1/2500s.
    Last edited by wonglp; 3rd June 2013 at 01:22 AM.

Street Photography.

It's easy enough to use the tilt screen with touch focus, very snappy. Certainly with 17/1.8 it also allows snap focus so hyperfocusing possible, and that would make the camera respond faster. Occasionally you get the stares from onlookers, but normally they would be thinking what you are shooting. And the camera is small enough to move about inconspicuously.

There's also a feature to use with Olympus Image Share 2 software which will be released end of the month, that would allow the production units to use wifi to remote AF and shoot via handphone instead of pressing the shutter button. Not a new feature amongst some other cameras, but certainly a welcoming feature especially for Pen street photographers. One thing though it can be used in iAuto mode only. All this is yet to be tested as the pre-production unit can't use wifi, till ClubSnap gets a production set to review again, I can't really comment further.

With 17/1.8mm F3.2, ISO 200.

A couple of homemade spidey to lighten up the review

All taken wide open with Olympus 75/1.8, perhaps the best m43 lens yet. There's a small AF box that can use for pinpoint AF it's what I use alot with to ensure the most accurate point of focus. You can click on the picture and choose the size to view. All shots hi resolution are uploaded on my flickr page.

hi resolution

Last edited by wonglp; 4th June 2013 at 12:19 AM.

[QUOTE=wonglp;8479096]A couple of homemade spidey to lighten up the review

i want to meet spidey boy and the ep5 lol

Frame it, Shoot it, Boxed it

[QUOTE=coughing bean;8479247]
    Quote Originally Posted by wonglp View Post
    A couple of homemade spidey to lighten up the review

i want to meet spidey boy and the ep5 lol

The spidey boy charges by hour but this Wed evening hands-on session is FOC

this really looks like a young spidey..
    nice pose..

The Pen E-P5 takes a design resemblance to Pen F.

Many may have notice the wordings looks similar and gives a very classic look to it.

But not many would have realized that the logo "Olympus Pen" is the first on digital Pen series. An official Statement from Olympus

"The OLYMPUS PEN brand logo was placed on the body (E-P5) as a symbol that this flagship model has achieved evolution worthy of the OLYMPUS PEN brand, which has stood for camera innovation and provided new value since the film era"

There's no difference in terms of image quality to expect between this sensor, vs OMD E-M5, or Pen E-PL5 in terms of high ISO. Though it's still very much acceptable. Here's a ISO3200, handheld shot.

Olympus 75mm/1.8 @ F1.8, 1/25s. ISO 3200

100% face crop.

Is this acceptable? Noise filter is set to low. OOC jpeg.

The small AF box is really helpful in nailing the eye to be in focus.
    Last edited by wonglp; 5th June 2013 at 01:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Drop by today (WED) at 6.30pm at Helix Bridge for a hands-on with the camera
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/four-...al-bridge.html

Otherwise there is another Olympus E-P5 Live Demo @ T K FOTO TECHNIC on FRIDAY 7th June 2013, 11.30am - 7.30pm.
    Last edited by ed9119; 5th June 2013 at 06:39 AM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Blog Entries

Default Re: Olympus E-P5 - Hands-On Preview

notice from Wonglp

Weather is bad. Let's change to marina square Han's restaurant. Dinner and kopi session. Will be there from 630. I have the 3 units already.
    Last edited by ed9119; 5th June 2013 at 05:39 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

A couple of shots from ytd indoor session. I will arrange another one for outdoor as the weather was bad. It was still drizzling when we left.

All taken with E-P5+17mm/1.8.

New Picture story mode, very fun. This is one of the simulation you can used, one thing though, would be better if the "olympus pen story" wordings were absent . The few shots pretty much sums up what we did, shoot, drink and poison session Will cover more of this gimmicky but super fun mode later.

Testing VF4 on OMD.

Testing focus peaking on a Pen F 40/1.4 lens, on a Pen E-P5. How fitting! This lens got quite a couple of folks excited!
    Last edited by wonglp; 6th June 2013 at 12:26 PM.

A couple of cat shots with 17mm/1.8.

Cat was moving around, and mostly I was about a feet away, close to the minimum focus distance of this lens. Miss some shots, manage to get quite a few sharp ones with a few different AF methods, face detection, touch screen, S-AF. Didn't try C-AF or C-AF tracking though. Whiskers on left has a wee bit of chroma aberrations, doesn't really bother me much.

Hi Res link

Here's one that's a little further when it got a little annoyed with me...tweaked some highlights.

Here's one with the 75mm/1.8, cropped a little. Hi Res Link
    Last edited by wonglp; 6th June 2013 at 02:53 PM.

The "new" feature ISO Low which is equivalent to 100, has been omitted from the Olympus m43 bodies since E-PL1. Glad to see it's back. This is good news for long exposure photographers.

Here's one to show. Change to B+W, there were 2 spots that I cleaned, maybe the lens was dust on lens/ND filter. Jpeg, low noise filter. If you are thinking whether Noise Reduction (or some known as dark frame subtraction) for long exposure can be turned off, unfortunately, no... so it will still need to turn on NR and take double the time to ensure hot pixels can be reduced.

How does it fare? Readers decide.

With Olympus 17mm F1/8 lens. F5.6, ISO100, 60s, 3 stops ND filter.

High Res files

Will be showing soon some compare to ISO200, which is the lowest ISO that OMD E-M5 & E-PL5 can do at the moment.

Some ISO100 vs ISO200 shots to share. All taken with 17mm/1.8, jpeg noise filter low. A 3 stops ND filter was used to extend the time.

ISO 100, F7.1, 50s

ISO 200, F7.1, 25s

Make a guess which is ISO100 vs 200 100% crops

ISO 100 on the right? Looks pretty good! How does it fare with noise filter totally off?

Make a guess which is ISO100 vs 200 100% crops

Quote Originally Posted by hyperFocal View Post
    ISO 100 on the right? Looks pretty good! How does it fare with noise filter totally off?
    Yes. It looks pretty good to me too, though I see there's a slight loss in details in ISO100. And also the best optimized dynamic range is still base ISO200. There's some possibility of clipping highlights at ISO100. Though I am glad still ISO100 is offered, it shall be my preferred mode for landscape photography.

Haven't tried totally off NF, though I did take raw but I haven't download the OV3 to test. Perhaps I will find some time when I can. Cheers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast