Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Adding RAM to my Dell

Ya ya.... all empty talk...

It's not the equipment... It's the persone behind it!

Go and play more games with it! Instead of just talking hot air!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    Yep faster......definately faster than SDRAMs.....
    Not exactly true.. RDRAM is faster in terms of bandwidth as compared to DDR-DRAM but not significant so when it comes to dual-channel DDR-DRAM. DDR-DRAM/ SDRAM do have the advantage of much lower latencies than RDRAM.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    Ya ya.... all empty talk...

It's not the equipment... It's the persone behind it!

Go and play more games with it! Instead of just talking hot air!
    Oh it's never the equipment....but I think somehow if your computer runs on a faster speed and more efficient speed, it will help me process 10-15 layers of photos in a PS which usually comes to around 150-200MB per file.

As for camera, I think it's a totally different concept. You can use any SLR manual camera and your images will still appear. Try processing a few layers of 50MB photos on PS with only 256MB with P3 1Ghz.....see how long will that take. So in computer terms, it's the equipment that really counts.

Empty talk? No way. We are all talking sense.

Games? Hmmm....we seem to be on the RAM topic. How come the games topic seem to appear from no where? Hot air? You mean hot air balloon?

Millionaires? Now that is empty talk.....

Quote Originally Posted by Firefox
    Not exactly true.. RDRAM is faster in terms of bandwidth as compared to DDR-DRAM but not significant so when it comes to dual-channel DDR-DRAM. DDR-DRAM/ SDRAM do have the advantage of much lower latencies than RDRAM.
    Yah.....but I once process a 200MB PS file with my computer 2.4Ghz 850E 2GB RDRAMs and then tried it on the 2 GB DDR-DRAM 3.0Ghz 875PE, it's just slightly faster lei.......and since it's a Dual Channel, it's a totally different built compare to the old 850E MB which is not a dual channel processor.

Me no expert lar in computer but can you explain to me which is more important, bandwidth or lantencies?

Yah.....but I once process a 200MB PS file with my computer 2.4Ghz 850E 2GB RDRAMs and then tried it on the 2 GB DDR-DRAM 3.0Ghz 875PE, it's just slightly faster lei.......and since it's a Dual Channel, it's a totally different built compare to the old 850E MB which is not a dual channel processor.

Me no expert lar in computer but can you explain to me which is more important, bandwidth or lantencies?
    It depends on the applications you run.. Most applications, especially games, would benefit much more from running off the lower latency DDR-DRAM's.
    If you use the computer purely for programs that require sheer bandwidth of RDRAM, it'd be a tad faster than with dual-channel DDR-DRAM.
    Of course, you have to consider that for the price of RDRAM, you can probably have double the amount of DDR-DRAM, which is even more beneficial.

I'd say, if it's possible, hang on to the Dell until you can get enough for a G5 tower. Then get 3rd party DDR-DRAM's for Mac's. You should be able to up the ante to 4GB if you use 8 * 512MB sticks. 1GB sticks are way too uneconomical.

Phildate
    Guests

Thanks for all the useful information (Danny you're a star!). I will go to Memory World today and see what the deal is. I take it that's at SLS.

Have a good Monday everyone!

Then I also go SLS see how much is the RAM prices later...

Thumbs up

Oh it's never the equipment....but I think somehow if your computer runs on a faster speed and more efficient speed, it will help me process 10-15 layers of photos in a PS which usually comes to around 150-200MB per file.

As for camera, I think it's a totally different concept. You can use any SLR manual camera and your images will still appear. Try processing a few layers of 50MB photos on PS with only 256MB with P3 1Ghz.....see how long will that take. So in computer terms, it's the equipment that really counts.

Empty talk? No way. We are all talking sense.

Games? Hmmm....we seem to be on the RAM topic. How come the games topic seem to appear from no where? Hot air? You mean hot air balloon?

Millionaires? Now that is empty talk.....
    I ever used a Dell P3 800Mhz (dual processor) with 1Ghz of 800Mhz RDRAM. I can process 20 layers in PS without a hiccup.

By the way, millionaires talk about how to become billionaires. That's NOT empty talk!

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    I ever used a Dell P3 800Mhz (dual processor) with 1Ghz of 800Mhz RDRAM. I can process 20 layers in PS without a hiccup.

By the way, millionaires talk about how to become billionaires. That's NOT empty talk!
    btw, what are you using now?

Quote Originally Posted by photobum

There you go.....1GB of RDRAM. If you have RD-RAMs, even a P3 800 Mhz will be a better bet than a 1GB of SDRAMs on P3 800 Mhz.....Experts am I right? Based on using PS only. No games involve

We are talking about RDRAMs and DDR-DRAMs.

BTW, I do not play any games at all.....so RDRAMs will be a better bet.

reachme2003.....i think he will be busy shooting his gigantic project until Christmas....so probably have no time to reply you....keke.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Thanks for all the useful information (Danny you're a star!). I will go to Memory World today and see what the deal is. I take it that's at SLS.

Have a good Monday everyone!
    There is another branch in Funan.

It's about $465 a piece for 512MB Samsung RDRAMs 800 Mhz.

Phildate
    Guests

Should I take my PC down and get them to fit it? Or easy to DIY? Might go get another 512Mb RAM and then start saving for a G5 Dual 2.5!!

Should I take my PC down and get them to fit it? Or easy to DIY? Might go get another 512Mb RAM and then start saving for a G5 Dual 2.5!!
    No need to take down your PC. Unless you do not know how to open up your DELL. Then u better take it down. Your 8250 is pretty heavy as well.

If you know how to open up your Dell and identify real RDRAM modules and their slots, you can do it yourself. Otherwise, bring down your computer and have them do it for you.

Note that I said real RDRAM modules because AFAIK, the empty slots are filled with DUMMY RDRAM modules on the 850E.

Hi,

Years ago when I tried to upgrade the memory capacity for a Dell server in my office, only then I realized that memory module for Dell PC is different from other compatible PC. The interface connections are similar to memory modules which can be found in the open market but there are special interface or control signals on the module which are proprietary to DELL.

I suggest you do not take any chance. My advice is:
    1) Request a quote from Dell and purchase from DELL.
    or
    2) go to one of the shop, Memory World (S) Pte Ltd (@ Sim Lim Sq or Funan IT mall, both have branches, not sure still exist or not) to check if other compatible memory modules are usable on your DELL PC (of course, do not tell them you may not purchase from them). Be aware that MODEL of Dell is critical, as it decides the type and the speed of the memory module. You may request a quote and compare, they may have it ex-stock (but unlikely), order may take one week or so.

Installing the memory module is easy, you can DIY.

Bo bian lah, itís DELL. Itís reliable, though.

Cheers

Hmm..not too sure about their servers, but I have upgraded RAM on my old desktop and my Latitude C640 laptop before with no problems.

I just noted the type and speed of RAM used, and went down to SLS to purchase them.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    btw, what are you using now?
    A self-assembled P4 2Ghz (dual processor, dual bios) 2GB of DDR-DRAM, and lots of cooling power and 2 sweet Samsung LCD monitors (both rotatable).
    Last edited by photobum; 18th April 2005 at 08:23 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123