Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding RAM to my Dell

Unhappy

My Dell uses 1600Mhz RDRAM. Cost me a bomb to upgrade. Cheaper to change another computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Phildate
    Ok, I checked and I have RDRAM. Does that mean I cannot use SD-RAM? Going to get an iMAC when I can afford it so just want a temporary measure until then i.e. don't want to spend too much.

Downloading Bibble - maybe that will be quicker!
    Sorry bro, no can do.....compare with the $$$ upgrading the RDRAM to 1.5 Gb, might well go for Mac Mini.

Blog Entries

Ok, I checked and I have RDRAM. Does that mean I cannot use SD-RAM? Going to get an iMAC when I can afford it so just want a temporary measure until then i.e. don't want to spend too much.

wat u can do is to bring it down to funan or SLS, and ask any of those shops to plug in SD-RAM for u, and make sure it works. if it works, pull out ur current RD-RAM and replace it with the cheaper SD-RAM.
    If Life worked on auto mode then manual mode for photography would have never existed. ― Deeksha Mittal

If you can't find it locally, go eBay:
    U can find almost everything here

just bring ur pc to sim lim square...ppl there will be most glad to help u

However the speed of SD-RAM is slower as compared to RD-RAM, which is designed by Intel.

cost/benefit assessment says that RDRAM is not worth it. But it's a good thing to get if you're a millionaire...

Phil....

I have the same model as yours. 850E motherboard only supports RDRAMs.

No need to even try it. SDRAMs runs on a different platform. Have asked Dell and some experts from SL.

RDRAMs is expensive but they are pretty stable. I have max out my RDRAMs to 2GB. Running PS and NC at the same time without much hassle.

You will need to spend about $1800 for it if you want to max out.

I suggest you keep the 512MB. Just add another 1GB. You only can get RDRAMs from Memory World. It cost about $460 per piece. You need a pair to run it. With 1.5GB of RDRAMs.....you need not need to upgrade your computer for a sometime.

If you think iMac will run faster than your Dell, think again. Use your PC as your workhorse. If you want to get a replacement for your PC then, get a G5 Dual Processor. Getting an iMac and max out your ram will still be slower than your current PC.

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    cost/benefit assessment says that RDRAM is not worth it. But it's a good thing to get if you're a millionaire...
    Eh you need not need to be a millionaire to own 2GB RDRAMs. It's about $1800 for 2 pairs of 512MB. Millionaires uses SERVERS.....

Quote Originally Posted by mookie
    However the speed of SD-RAM is slower as compared to RD-RAM, which is designed by Intel.
    Yep faster......definately faster than SDRAMs.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pro Image
    You will need to spend about $1800 for it if you want to max out.
    $1800 to max out U can upgrade ur motherboard (use back the same cpu) and max out the DDR ram and u still safe some $$$.

Seriously need to consider the RDRAM upgrade option.

I'm considering combining my RDRAM from 2 workstations from IBM into 1 and sell away the CPU. It's simply too costly to upgrade RDRAM.

Eh you need not need to be a millionaire to own 2GB RDRAMs. It's about $1800 for 2 pairs of 512MB. Millionaires uses SERVERS.....
    Millionaires uses Super Computer.....

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by ctchng
    Millionaires uses Super Computer.....
    Millionaires don't use super computers. They hire qualified people (mostly India nationals) to use them. Pay these people peanuts, and they becomes billionaires after that!

$1800 to max out U can upgrade ur motherboard (use back the same cpu) and max out the DDR ram and u still safe some $$$.

Seriously need to consider the RDRAM upgrade option.

I'm considering combining my RDRAM from 2 workstations from IBM into 1 and sell away the CPU. It's simply too costly to upgrade RDRAM.
    Yah millionaires uses Super Computers......keke!

RDRAMs are expensive but they are pretty stable and also faster than the current SDRAMs....correct?

RDRAMs are expensive but they are pretty stable and also faster than the current SDRAMs....correct?
    Guess RDRAM wins for now..... But 1 day....SDRAMs would lead the way....

Thumbs up

Oh ya...! In fact I am using RDRAMs to compute this message to you now. As stable as my Gitzo tripod!

Quote Originally Posted by photobum
    Oh ya...! In fact I am using RDRAMs to compute this message to you now. As stable as my Gitzo tripod!
    Me too but I use Manfrotto......keke.

Guess RDRAM wins for now..... But 1 day....SDRAMs would lead the way....
    Yah.....one day........by the time the one day..........I will have purchase a Power MAC G6 Triple Processor!

Yah.....one day........by the time the one day..........I will have purchase a Power MAC G6 Triple Processor!
    Power MAC G6 Triple Processor but run on SDRAM.....

Thumbs up

Me too but I use Manfrotto......keke.
    Manfrotto and Gitzo are brothers. Same father, different mothers. Besides my Gitzo, I have a Bogen-Manfrotto 3221W tripod also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast