Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Market Rate for Product Shoot

Default Market Rate for Product Shoot

Dont want to spoil the market but dont know what the market rate is... care to enlighten??

More specifically, will be shooting furniture as the product.

Thanks guys...

Blog Entries

with or without lights?
    On location or in a studio?
    So many variables.

without studio lights. Done on location, in the shop, not in studio. Using a d70 with bounce flash... Thanks..

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Rev
    without studio lights. Done on location, in the shop, not in studio. Using a d70 with bounce flash... Thanks..
    with bounced on-camera flash only?

Wahhh.... I think u need to spent alot of time PS-ing....
    If you are shooting in a warehouse, without the studio lightings, will be very difficult to brint out the color of the furniture.

either rent a studio, or rent the equipment to go on site...
    Work out your cost of production, then decide how much you want to pocket.

I have know of people shooting TV set charge about $600 for each product.
    He shoot in studio. Price including touching up of photo in PS.

Good deal right?? I don't really know.... do your own maths and opportunity cost, then you decide if its good deal or not??

In this case charge by your day rate, estimate how many shot you can do in a day (8hours), day rate depend on photographers think how much they worth, can be $4~500 to a few thousand.

To use a hotshoe flash or a Metz 60 bounce is workable. It depend what the clients want. If they just want something better then a shot from a compact camera, no problem.

If they expecting something like IKEA catalog, you still can use hotshoe flash bounce….unless you are very good.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    In this case charge by your day rate, estimate how many shot you can do in a day (8hours), day rate depend on photographers think how much they worth, can be $4~500 to a few thousand.

To use a hotshoe flash or a Metz 60 bounce is workable. It depend what the clients want. If they just want something better then a shot from a compact camera, no problem.

If they expecting something like IKEA catalog, you still can use hotshoe flash bounce….unless you are very good.
    you meant, "if you are very good'?

good thing you using D70, you can borrow a few SB600/800s and with simple reflectors you have a rather ok studio set up already. Cost is quite low if borrowing speedlights.

Before I went into photography to take my own product shots, my dad have been charged like between 800 to $1.5K for each shoot. Products are about the size of your desktop PC for about few hours (or less) job. At my place, not studio.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Just a kind of illustration, how can a photographer archive a studio light set up effect by using hotshoe flash? He must be able understand the ability and limitation of the equipments, and make full use of it.

For whatever kind of job, the photographer must understand what clients want, if the client just wants some make some 4R prints of the furniture for the salesperson to bring around, why sell him a $600.00 per shot set up?

But if the client want shots for international furniture exhibition show, than you better sell him a proper lighting set up shots.

Am I good? I don’t know. But this is something I encounter before, so I share.

Quote Originally Posted by catchlights
    Just a kind of illustration, how can a photographer archive a studio light set up effect by using hotshoe flash? He must be able understand the ability and limitation of the equipments, and make full use of it.

For whatever kind of job, the photographer must understand what clients want, if the client just wants some make some 4R prints of the furniture for the salesperson to bring around, why sell him a $600.00 per shot set up?

But if the client want shots for international furniture exhibition show, than you better sell him a proper lighting set up shots.

Am I good? I don’t know. But this is something I encounter before, so I share.
    agreed with catchlights. Point to add, however good a photographer is, he/she still need to have the basic, proper tools to do the job in the shortest time possible. You may want to factor in the time needed to shoot base on the equiptment you have.
    How much to charge? Well, I've charge $1000/- to $1800/- per project for furniture shoot. Depanding on what is required of the shoot ie: the $1000/- shoot was for small fliers ad where the picture ( total of about 10 shots ) is only about 3 inchs in size and is in B/W. The $1800/- one is for one concept shot in their showroom.
    You may also want to consider reperted business. If my client is the agency/design house, I'll usually charge lower.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    with bounced on-camera flash only?

When did the original poster said that it is a on-camera flash?

He just mentioned bounce flash and the some started to reply and discuss about how one must have proper skill and equipments to charge a decent fee...

Quite out of topic lor...

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lwy

He just mentioned bounce flash and the some started to reply and discuss about how one must have proper skill and equipments to charge a decent fee...

who said that it is on-camera flash? i did not. i was asking a question. see '?' mark.

If "a bounced flash" generated "without studio lights" is not on-camera flash, what sort of light is that? Hah?

Enlighten lah.

Can be just normal hotshoe flash, on or off camera what.

thanks for all the constructive input guys... guess there is no standard price =)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    If "a bounced flash" generated "without studio lights" is not on-camera flash, what sort of light is that? Hah?

Enlighten lah.
    Hi Sion,

Think you have to enlighten me how to generate bounce flash from a on camera flash...maybe you do a diy bounce??

From what I understand normal hot shoe flash (EX420 or EX 550) is not considered studio lights (for e.g. those by bowen etc...)

Lightbulb

Hi Sion,

Think you have to enlighten me how to generate bounce flash from a on camera flash...maybe you do a diy bounce??

From what I understand normal hot shoe flash (EX420 or EX 550) is not considered studio lights (for e.g. those by bowen etc...)
    some clarification is needed, what is on camera flash? to me, widely defined, it can mean a portable flash mounted directly or indirectly to a camera. to me again, it does not refer to using built-in flash of a camera.

Hi Sion,

Hi there, I think you are mis-understanding Sion's and reachme's comments.

Lightbulb

this was what the thread starter said, to refresh everyone's minds.

Quote Originally Posted by reachme2003
    some clarification is needed, what is on camera flash? to me, widely defined, it can mean a portable flash mounted directly or indirectly to a camera. to me again, it does not refer to using built-in flash of a camera.
    I agree that is the general understanding of the term, but broaden it to include (but not exclusive to) the built in flash. However, when used with the words "bounce flash", one would assume that you are referring to an external flash mounted on the body of the camera, as you would not typically expect a built in flash to be bounced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast