Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appropriate shutter speed for handheld?

hey that sounds like a good idea yanyewkay. Thanks from me also

just tot I'll go all the way to show what i meant.
    Settings:
    D70 kit lens at 70mm
    f/4.5
    1/3s handheld, shot standing with no support to any part of body.
    indoor ambient light with no flash.
    aperture priority: EV+0.3
    iso 400

#1 is the very first pic when shutter was depressed.
    #2 and #3 in sequential order. Took a total of 6 shots.
    #2 shot was the best in all 6.

of course it's not a pin sharp pic compared to one taken on a tripod but given the circumstance, it's a pretty good shot to me.

EDIT: These are partial crops of a full pic.
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 19th April 2005 at 08:51 PM. Reason: add in even more info
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

Quote Originally Posted by expositer
    wow, thanks for all the insight guys.

i've tried it out and even 1/125 turns out quite ok for 300mm lens. i guess it's really down to shooting technique.

must train, train, train.....
    glad you 'found' the answer by trying. the 1/focal length is just a guide, regardless what expert says or what we debate over here.

you have to test it out yourself with your lens what is the lowest you can go under different condition.

got my 70-300mm lens.

The viewfinder is wobbling all the time at 300mm... can't even frame properly...

Is it just me or can you guys hold it real steady at 300mm... shot at 1/500... at 1/500 everything is pretty sharp 90% of time...

Quote Originally Posted by wind30
    got my 70-300mm lens.

The viewfinder is wobbling all the time at 300mm... can't even frame properly...

Is it just me or can you guys hold it real steady at 300mm... shot at 1/500... at 1/500 everything is pretty sharp 90% of time...
    You usually use a tripod at that sort of focal length. At 300mm, the lens is around f5.6 wide open right? You need a lot of light to get a good picture so might as well use a tripod.
    The equipment can only bring you so far - the rest of the photographic journey is done by you.

dof will be very very shallow..

Ya. DOF will be shallow if at f/5.6 and 300mm. But due to low lighting, will the DOF be not so obvious? I guess is depending on the subject that we are taking.

Sidetracking a bit, taking a shot at sufficient lighting at 300mm and f/8 is already experiencing a very shallow dof....

Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    i have a trick to share i've been using for quite some time to get those tricky low light shots. at slow shutter speed.

Use the burst mode (some call it 'fps' mode whatever you call it doesn't matter). the time when your hand moves the most is when you activate your muscles to depress the button. Your hand will move along with it. So.. while holding the button down.. keep it down and release a few bursts of captures. There will be ONE frame that will have the least movement and therefore the sharpest. Very wasteful of storage space but good enough for me to use. This is the same technique used in nikon's BSS (best shot selector) mode.
    It's also known as "Poor man's IS.".

Also most people have overlooked something very important.

The minimum shutter speed to stop motion. At 1/60s, not all human movements can be frozen, that may be why the photos come out blur also.

Quote Originally Posted by expositer
    Ya. DOF will be shallow if at f/5.6 and 300mm. But due to low lighting, will the DOF be not so obvious? I guess is depending on the subject that we are taking.

Sidetracking a bit, taking a shot at sufficient lighting at 300mm and f/8 is already experiencing a very shallow dof....
    yups.. if you see the my post here.. taken at 300mm ~1.5m away background from subject is less than a metre also. Mostly shot at f/8

At times, the insect can have the eyes sharp, but by the time you look at the tail.. it's blur already..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12