Thread: Macro with DSLRs

Default Macro with DSLRs

I used to take macro shots of insects with a prosumer camera, attached with some closeup filters & flash. It wasn't easy. I have to move, tilt & adjust ever so often to get the correct composition & sharpness. But luckily the LCD screen helped me a lot. And the results are satisfying!

Now I'm using a DSLR, D70 to be exact. I haven't got any macro lens yet, but I will eventually. But this thought suddenly came to my mind.

We can't take shots from the LCD screen for DSLRs (least not at the current moment). So wouldn't it be so much more tougher to take shots of insects? I imagine I have to bend or tilt myslef all the way to be able to view from the viewfinder.

It seems pretty tough... If that's the only way to do it (it probably is), I really have reconsider getting a macro lens. Any experienced members can advice?

Get a right angle attachment to your viewfinder in D70. LCD/EVF are low quality compared to real time Optical Viewfinder on an SLR/DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by theITguy
    Get a right angle attachment to your viewfinder in D70. LCD/EVF are low quality compared to real time Optical Viewfinder on an SLR/DSLR.
    Is that what DSLR users usually do to take insect macros?

Quote Originally Posted by Gr|ever
    Is that what DSLR users usually do to take insect macros?
    Not usually. I bought the Nikon right angled finder, and it doesn't come cheap - about $300+. Like you, I enjoyed the twist n turn design of the Coolpix 995, and reckoned that unless I can twist my neck like the Coolpix can, using a DSLR for macro subject close to the ground would be quite challenging.

I find the angled finder inconvenient if the macro subject that you're after is something that doesn't stay still for you. In many cases, it's proning on the ground or doing a leopard crawl to get to the level of the subjects.

The right angled finder also gets in the way of the flash, if you're not using an off-camera flash bracket. All in all, the right angled finder tends to remain in my dehumidifier cabinet than out in the field with me.