Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: How do you pronounce Hyundai?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,136

    Default How do you pronounce Hyundai?

    Just heard on TV, it was pronounced as "he-un-day".
    What say you? I used to hear "he-yun-day" or "he-yun-dai".

  2. #2

    Default

    er, not sure really. guess the ad should be right as it comes from the company itself.

    i do know that "hyundai" in korean characters is equivalent to the chinese characters "xian dai" (or xian4 dai4 for those who know hanyu pinyin), which means "modern"...phonetically the 2 sound the same too.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Last planet from the sun
    Posts
    2,824

    Default

    In Australia, USA and western countries pronounce as He-yun-day.

    In Asia it's He-yun-dai......

    It's their marketing thingy. I have a friend in Korea who works for Hyundai told me that.

  4. #4

    Default

    When I directed the Radio ads for them, it was pronounced 'Hay-Yun-Day'.

    I notice a slightly different version on the current imported TVCs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    beebox
    Posts
    2,078

    Default

    diff country diff version of pronounciation..

    like samsung,i heard europeans pronounce it as sam sung

    singapore pronounce as sum song..

  6. #6
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,614

    Default

    In some parts of the world it is pronounced as "who-wants-to-die?".

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    1 Dalvey Road
    Posts
    475

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timlim
    er, not sure really. guess the ad should be right as it comes from the company itself.

    i do know that "hyundai" in korean characters is equivalent to the chinese characters "xian dai" (or xian4 dai4 for those who know hanyu pinyin), which means "modern"...phonetically the 2 sound the same too.
    ad from company migh not be right at times.

    take siemens for instance.

    should pronounce like 'simon',
    but ad always make it sounds like 'semens'.

    :O

  8. #8

    Default

    HUN-DAY



    Hangul 현대
    Hanja 現代

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by judeseah
    ad from company migh not be right at times.

    take siemens for instance.

    should pronounce like 'simon',
    but ad always make it sounds like 'semens'.

    :O
    SIE-MENS, German are phonetic!

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    lulu island
    Posts
    6,136

    Default

    I find it funny about such pronounciations at times. Should the correct way to pronounce the brand names be of its origin irregardless of the way it has spelt for English?

  11. #11

    Default

    I normally say "Hoon-day".

  12. #12
    Senior Member scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    in Aust, today is 'to-dai' or rather 'to-die'

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drudkh
    Just heard on TV, it was pronounced as "he-un-day".
    What say you? I used to hear "he-yun-day" or "he-yun-dai".
    easy lar... just break the words apart... "Hy-Un-Dai"

  14. #14
    Senior Member Sion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    新天地
    Posts
    4,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scud
    in Aust, today is 'to-dai' or rather 'to-die'
    "You come here today?"

    Now say it the way Australians do

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Cons digger.
    Posts
    4,045

    Default

    car-four?

    maybe it's "car-fool"
    Last edited by yanyewkay; 17th April 2005 at 01:22 PM.
    “How fortunate for leaders that men do not think.” - Adolf Hitler

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yanyewkay
    car-four?

    maybe it's "car-fool"
    Tat's not pronounced in English...

  17. #17
    Senior Member scud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sion
    "You come here today?"

    Now say it the way Australians do
    kekekekekeke...

  18. #18

    Default

    hi-yon-dey
    web | blog | fb | ig

  19. #19

    Default

    judeseah and oevind are on track (but latter missing the 'y' sound.. that's 'y' as in yum, not as in by). meaning is literally 'modern' and only two syllables.

    hyun-dae or hyeon-dae depending on how to 'romanise' that vowel

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scud
    in Aust, today is 'to-dai' or rather 'to-die'

    I remembered after I bought something from this aussie saleslady, she
    said to me "Thank you and have a good die (day)"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •