Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 77

Thread: Ok to travel to a few countries?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Question Ok to travel to a few countries?

    I going for a solo travel next year, around aug/sep. I know it's too early to ask but I need to get ready for it. My current itinerary is as follow :

    1)Scotland
    2)England
    3)Belgium
    4)Netherlands
    5)Germany
    6)Austria
    7)Italy
    8)Portugal (maybe)
    9)Spain
    10)France
    11)Switzerland

    Any other recommended countries/landmarks which I should go for time lapse? My route is base on the google maps, which is roughly how I should travel to get to most of the places. Any do and don't?
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    how long is ur trip?
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Target 22 days. If can't, will cancel some countries. If Spain nothing much, might be out from the list. I only go for time lapse, not much enjoyment.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    Your 22 days consist of flight time fm sg? Anyway i'l choose 1/3 from your list to really enjoy the scenery and not rush from place to place. NO way u can cover all those places within 22 days under a nice relaxing pace.
    WHich countries to choose? Not sure what kinda time lapse u have in mind? Definitely you have ample opportunities to shoot from the list you finally choose. But dont forget doin time lapse is time consuming so you might end up going to just one location a day. Provided weather and light conditions are in your favour that day might be a wasted day and coming back on a second day is a possiblity.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AdyH View Post
    Your 22 days consist of flight time fm sg? Anyway i'l choose 1/3 from your list to really enjoy the scenery and not rush from place to place. NO way u can cover all those places within 22 days under a nice relaxing pace.
    WHich countries to choose? Not sure what kinda time lapse u have in mind? Definitely you have ample opportunities to shoot from the list you finally choose. But dont forget doin time lapse is time consuming so you might end up going to just one location a day. Provided weather and light conditions are in your favour that day might be a wasted day and coming back on a second day is a possiblity.
    I know, some time due to bad weather, the time lapse will be ruin. But it's a betting and since I am alone, I don't have the time to relax over a cup of coffee. I just rush from point to point, with my 'fbo'. So, it's about 1 to 2 time lapse for each area I stays and then moves off. I targeting the landmarks, maybe with some street time lapse. If time enough, then I might sit down for a cup of coffee and enjoy the views.

    Including flights, which left me 19 days? (At least got 15 time lapse.) Will draft a detail itinerary and post here when I confirmed most places.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I know, some time due to bad weather, the time lapse will be ruin. But it's a betting and since I am alone, I don't have the time to relax over a cup of coffee. I just rush from point to point, with my 'fbo'. So, it's about 1 to 2 time lapse for each area I stays and then moves off. I targeting the landmarks, maybe with some street time lapse. If time enough, then I might sit down for a cup of coffee and enjoy the views.

    Including flights, which left me 19 days? (At least got 15 time lapse.) Will draft a detail itinerary and post here when I confirmed most places.
    Its too many countries for 22 days. Average out less than 2 days per country. This June we are going to Switzerland, Germany and Italy total 18 full days excluding flight. Even with 18 days for 3 countries, we have to skip Rome and wish we have more time. Switzerland alone we set aside 8 full days only for Interlaken region and Lucern. Unless you want a touch and go holiday with most days on Eurorail travelling from one point to another, I would not recommend it. Happt planning.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    I do not mean to be personal, but how old are you?

    When I was in my 20's I managed almost all the countries in your itinerary in 4 weeks, starting from London (i.e. excluding flight times). Quarter century later, I managed to covered 5 countries - 7 cities in 3 weeks, including flight time. My stamina was not quite the same after age caught up with me.

    May I suggest you try to tabulate the cities and town you wish to visit. You may wish to visit three cities in Germany and only one in Switzerland, so listing the countries right now will not be that helpful with your planning. Furthermore, you need to judge the distances between the cities you wish to visit to gauge travel time etc. I would presume that, to save time and money, you would prefer to spend the night travelling in a train as opposed to sleeping in hotels/hostels.

    Have a safe trip, and remember, planning the trip is part of the fun.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    I mostly will be at those landmark and off to another city. So, Scotland will be a night stay, in UK will be 2. Then Netherlands will be a day before moving to Germany for a day or two. One day at Austria follow by 3 days at Italy. Switzerland and France will be last two, depends on flight. Spain can give a miss if time not enough.

    So, roughly is less than 14 days for now. Including train, might take up a day or so. I will plan out nicely as Internet is a good tool for such informations. Since I am travelling alone, I can manage the time more easily. The hotel just for me to rest and keep my luggage. I will be outside after breakfast with my gears.

    Will come out a detail plan soon. Time is precious!

    Just to add something. As I am doing time lapse, i just go to a landmark, setup and the camera do the work while I rest for an hour or so. So, it's not so tiring even i going to be 40 next year (I am not fit but fat.) It's the determination that inside me makes me do it. It's quite different from a person who keeps walking and take photos, which is tiring. I also can enjoy a piece of snack with a hot coffee if I could get one while camera snapping.
    Last edited by BBTM; 26th May 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  9. #9

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I going for a solo travel next year, around aug/sep. I know it's too early to ask but I need to get ready for it. My current itinerary is as follow :

    1)Scotland
    2)England
    3)Belgium
    4)Netherlands
    5)Germany
    6)Austria
    7)Italy
    8)Portugal (maybe)
    9)Spain
    10)France
    11)Switzerland

    Any other recommended countries/landmarks which I should go for time lapse? My route is base on the google maps, which is roughly how I should travel to get to most of the places. Any do and don't?
    Honestly, and I'm pretty sure most of the other CS-ers will agree, unless you've actually achieved something like that before I'd say it's going to be really difficult to do so? I don't mean to sound discouraging or even disparaging, but although I do admire your determination and ambition I do feel that this plan might be too unrealistic?

    For example, Scotland alone has Edinburgh, Isle of Skye, Isle of Eigg, Loch Ness. These places are hard to get to with the Isle of Skye being a whole day's drive from Edinburgh, and Edinburgh being a whole day's drive from London or even more especially if you are the lone driver. Even if you take a coach or flight, these places are still difficult to cover in 2-4 days.

    On the other hand, despite many of these places being so large with public transportation constraints, if you do intend to cover as much ground in 22 days as possible, I'd strongly suggest a 1-city/country approach because most of these places will have an iconic city that stands out more than the rest. It'll still be tiring and to some of us even cost-inefficient but it really depends on what you want to achieve out of this trip.

    All the best and I hope you have a good trip

  10. #10
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default

    I would just cover one country for 22 days.

    Oh. And i am visiting Scotland for a little less than 3 weeks in july

    Ryan

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    677

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    22 days only? I am going for a 3 months trip to entire SEA and I don even think I can complete half
    If the photo i took is 1% unclear, I will rather delete .. www.flickr.com/photos/59837685@N03/

  12. #12

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    I mostly will be at those landmark and off to another city. So, Scotland will be a night stay, in UK will be 2. Then Netherlands will be a day before moving to Germany for a day or two. One day at Austria follow by 3 days at Italy. Switzerland and France will be last two, depends on flight. Spain can give a miss if time not enough.

    So, roughly is less than 14 days for now. Including train, might take up a day or so. I will plan out nicely as Internet is a good tool for such informations. Since I am travelling alone, I can manage the time more easily. The hotel just for me to rest and keep my luggage. I will be outside after breakfast with my gears.

    Will come out a detail plan soon. Time is precious!

    Just to add something. As I am doing time lapse, i just go to a landmark, setup and the camera do the work while I rest for an hour or so. So, it's not so tiring even i going to be 40 next year (I am not fit but fat.) It's the determination that inside me makes me do it. It's quite different from a person who keeps walking and take photos, which is tiring. I also can enjoy a piece of snack with a hot coffee if I could get one while camera snapping.
    TS,
    Initially, I am agreed with the rest that 22 days is too little time for too many location.
    But somehow, if I get you right, you want to do time lapse as your MAJOR and ONLY thing in your trip.
    So it is possible.
    Say, it is "along a line" down from
    1)Scotland
    2)England
    3)Belgium
    4)Netherlands
    10)France
    7)Italy
    11)Switzerland
    5)Germany
    6)Austria
    Taking the train..

    2 days per place, just ok only.
    Which means, you will only end up with, (possible) 1 or 2 good time lapse in each city, thus total 18 time lapse max?
    You will not walk around I assume. Say, just go down town Munich set up tripod and begin?

    By the way, I also feel that skip Spain and Portugal, a bit off "the line"

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post

    TS,
    Initially, I am agreed with the rest that 22 days is too little time for too many location.
    But somehow, if I get you right, you want to do time lapse as your MAJOR and ONLY thing in your trip.
    So it is possible.
    Say, it is "along a line" down from
    1)Scotland
    2)England
    3)Belgium
    4)Netherlands
    10)France
    7)Italy
    11)Switzerland
    5)Germany
    6)Austria
    Taking the train..

    2 days per place, just ok only.
    Which means, you will only end up with, (possible) 1 or 2 good time lapse in each city, thus total 18 time lapse max?
    You will not walk around I assume. Say, just go down town Munich set up tripod and begin?

    By the way, I also feel that skip Spain and Portugal, a bit off "the line"
    Yup. That's my intention. A time lapse of main landmarks in europe. From one to another. No intention to stop for shopping or whatever(slight shopping yes). Need to skip Portugal and Spain, out of the way and also, I can't find any good landmark for it right now.

    But my order and yours slightly different. From Netherlands, i going Germany, Austria, Italy (vernice, Rome and pisa.), Switzerland and lastly, France. Everywhere by train, can manage some sunset and sunrise. Will be camping at Switzerland for the beautiful sun set and rise.

    Hopes to get a video camera too, can record during train rides.
    Last edited by BBTM; 27th May 2013 at 11:14 PM.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    But my order and yours slightly different. From Netherlands, i going Germany, Austria, Italy (vernice, Rome and pisa.), Switzerland and lastly, France.
    What makes you plan to go this route? is is the shortest / convenience?

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post

    What makes you plan to go this route? is is the shortest / convenience?
    I look at the maps and seems to be. It's in a clockwise direction after London. If there is direct flights from France back, mostly it will be this way.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    To add on. Czech Republic might be included. If time and $ more than enough, might take a flight from Rome to egypt for pyramid time lapse before going back to Rome. Will see how things go.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Ok to travel to a few countries?

    Sorry. But your plan seems to be bit too over ambitious. Cut down on the number of countries..Its a holiday right. Take your time and explore the place more... dont drain yourself out by going so many places at once..22 days is long but not to so many places..


    Max i would say 3 countries. Well. Choice is yours though.

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWmilkteaTW View Post
    Sorry. But your plan seems to be bit too over ambitious. Cut down on the number of countries..Its a holiday right. Take your time and explore the place more... dont drain yourself out by going so many places at once..22 days is long but not to so many places..


    Max i would say 3 countries. Well. Choice is yours though.
    Not quite a holiday anyway. Just for experience and sight seeing. I know it will be tiring but the time lapse is my reward. Egypt cmi, sticking to original plan.

    I don't like to be in same country and nothing much i can do since I am alone. So, i moves around, can get to know more people while doing time lapse.

    Thanks all for input. If you crazy enough like me, join me if you can.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

  19. #19
    Member guseliz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BBTM View Post
    Not quite a holiday anyway. Just for experience and sight seeing. I know it will be tiring but the time lapse is my reward. Egypt cmi, sticking to original plan.

    I don't like to be in same country and nothing much i can do since I am alone. So, i moves around, can get to know more people while doing time lapse.

    Thanks all for input. If you crazy enough like me, join me if you can.
    Actually the challenging part (or rather the troublesome) of moving around from one place to another is checking in and out (packing and unpacking) from one hotel to the other.. and bringing along your luggage with all your gears together.
    This will definitely slow you down..
    Last edited by guseliz; 28th May 2013 at 05:56 PM.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    BB West
    Posts
    2,184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by guseliz View Post

    Actually the challenging part (or rather the troublesome) of moving around from one place to another is checking in and out (packing and unpacking) from one hotel to the other.. and bringing along your luggage with all your gears together.
    This will definitely slow you down..
    I know but I will separate new and dirty clothing by dirty clothing in another section. I will use zip lock bags for different charger etc. Don't unpack much if not long stays. Just do a mad dash for Europe.
    Only Sony device mostly, haha!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •