Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need recommendations for cameras, Lenses.

Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy your new equipment.

The Tamron 24-70 is a nice and sharp lens in my opinion. Decent AF thru the optical viewfinder. But quite slow to acquire focus while in liveview. Video wise it is rather smooth. But a little noisy. I have only tried three lens. 50 f1.8, 18-55 kit lens and the Tamron. No complaints for the Tamron at all. I love the sharpness it gives me.

Default Re: Need recommendations for cameras, Lenses.

I see, thanks for the reply I'm looking for some good glass for photos/video in the future. either the tamron 24-70mm or 24-105 f4 L. At the moment though I feel I got to be satisfied with what I have and experiment more

Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy your new equipment.

The Tamron 24-70 is a nice and sharp lens in my opinion. Decent AF thru the optical viewfinder. But quite slow to acquire focus while in liveview. Video wise it is rather smooth. But a little noisy. I have only tried three lens. 50 f1.8, 18-55 kit lens and the Tamron. No complaints for the Tamron at all. I love the sharpness it gives me.
    The slow AF in liveview is not Tamrons fault though.
    Alpha

Actually... Canon is never well known for its liveview AF... no matter what lens you put on Canon, they just cannot AF quick enough in liveview. And that is something that I am really pissed off After sooooo many years... why can't Canon freaking hell improve on her contrast AF?

(And there goes uncle grumbling again...)
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Liveview focus can be very very fast ...
    Magic Lantern Focus Mask + Manual Focus Lens...
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Hi, I myself am pretty new to the hobby considering that I only started researching and buying second hand stuff in the past 2 months.
    I currently own a 7D 2nd hand and in fact everything I own for cameras are second hand. I have a 17-55mm, 15-85mm and 24-105mm L lens now.

For an all round photography, and as a newbie, you might want to consider a second hand 15-85mm as it has comparable IQ with 17-55 under good light conditions. That comes from a person owning both lens now

This lens will be good all round for normal photos taken on the streets and also during the day. At night you definitely need something with f2.8 or faster and this lens wont cut it.

If you are interested in getting a 15-85mm second hand I have one now currently on sale. I m not trying to advertise haha, but you can definitely get one from the BNS forum. Easily get one from the $600-700 range. Seen a few other than my own.
    Canon 7D + Canon 24-105mmL , 17-55mm F2.8, 10-22mm.

And if you are interested in finding a landscape lens, 10-22mm and 11-16mm has got some rave reviews. 15-85mm is just a super jack of all focal lengths camera. If it was f2.8 or faster I would have kept it. Its now redundant after I bought a 2nd hand 17-55mm since the range pretty much overlaps.

I am considering pairing my 24-105mm with a 10-22mm myself on a 7D.

Like the others said, hunt around the BNS and you can get some bargain pieces at low prices. 15-85mm originally costs 1100-1200 cash new, but can be bought at 600-700 2nd hand.

When you move on and want to sell again, you will make almost no loss and its taken as like a rental amount even if you lose a little.

Cheers
    Canon 7D + Canon 24-105mmL , 17-55mm F2.8, 10-22mm.

hi guys.. i'm new here.. just got myself a new nikon d7100 and am looking to shoot mainly portraits! should i get the 35mm 1.4 or the 50mm 1.4?

Quote Originally Posted by val888 View Post
    hi guys.. i'm new here.. just got myself a new nikon d7100 and am looking to shoot mainly portraits! should i get the 35mm 1.4 or the 50mm 1.4?
    I think the 50mm 1.4 would be more suited since its FF

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysjerricky View Post

I think the 50mm 1.4 would be more suited since its FF
    Think d7100 is dx body and not ff. anyway get the 35mm if you are more to full body portrait and the 50mm for half body portrait due to the crop factor. But do note that the 35mm cost much more than the 50mm. For Nikon brand think is almost 4 times difference. But personally I would recommend the sigma 35mm f1.4. Cost half of the Nikon version and reviews and personal experience say it is a very good lens. Much better than the Nikon version.

Quote Originally Posted by val888 View Post
    First thing... would really appreciate it if you don't thread crash into other people's thread. You have a question, please open a new thread and ask.

Second... I trust your camera come with a kit lens, use that kit lens to identify the focal length you used most then get a prime that suit that length. Nobody know what is your style of shooting, as there are many bros and sis who used 35mm, 50mm, 85mm and even 105mm range for their portrait... and who was to say, you cannot use a 300mm for your portrait?
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Hey guys, i after playing around with my camera abit, i realised i might want a nice lens to take portraits with. Would you guys recommend the Canon 50mm f/1.8 on a crop sensor camera for portraits? Im also looking into the possibility of getting a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II in the future for landscape in the future before my holiday at the end of the year. Thanks for the advice and input once again guys I guess i might be over-zealous with this new hobby and feel the urge to spend on new equipment
    Last edited by angrydonuts; 8th June 2013 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angrydonuts View Post
    Hey guys, i after playing around with my camera abit, i realised i might want a nice lens to take portraits with. Would you guys recommend the Canon 50mm f/1.8 on a crop sensor camera for portraits? Im also looking into the possibility of getting a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 II in the future for landscape in the future before my holiday at the end of the year. Thanks for the advice and input once again guys I guess i might be over-zealous with this new hobby and feel the urge to spend on new equipment
    I think you can refer to rhino's reply right above your post for "portrait" lens..but personally, I find it very tight if you are going to shoot portraits in a public event. For 1 to 1 shoots, it's marvelous for its price.

My preference for shooting portraits/people, would start from long telephoto range e.g. 55250

Tokina 116 is a nice uwa for many applications.

But before spending these money on lens, I would suggest pushing your kit lens abit more before you think of an expensive upgrade (thou, 50 1.8 is relatively inexpensive)
    Last edited by SkyStrike; 8th June 2013 at 09:22 AM.
    Too many great equipments but too little quality photos. [My Flickr] | [My Blog]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12