Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

Ok so I managed to try the Fuji X20 and I must say I am impressed. So I told my sister about and she just told me skip the purchase and she'll just give me her Pen, which turns out to be just the lowly E-PL1. So if you were me, what you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Jigs Payawal View Post
    Ok so I managed to try the Fuji X20 and I must say I am impressed. So I told my sister about and she just told me skip the purchase and she'll just give me her Pen, which turns out to be just the lowly E-PL1. So if you were me, what you do?
    Y not just use d epl1? Practise more before u jump into any gears ya.
    Sony A7/ Sigma 19-2.8 E/ CV 35-1.7 ASPH/ FE 55-1.8/ MC Rokkor 58-1.2/ Pentax SMC K 135-2.5

Lowly? I hardly think so. The EPL1 is respectable (I owned one) and had lots of fun with it.

Don't look down on the tool, look deeper into your own skills (not that I am very good).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

Between the two, certainly NX300.
    Interchangeable lens so that you can change focal lengths as well as carry over your lenses to the next camera.

The 20mp sensor IQ is nothing to scoff at too.

If you intend to use native NX lenses, then you don't need to over think about lenses. They are good, not very big, generally fast and relatively affordable as lenses go.
    IMO, too bad Samsung has not made inroads at marketing their NX system.
    They give other brands a good run for the money.

So I did more research and maybe I can just continue to use the EPL1 and buy something like a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens. I more into street photography and bokehs so would that lens be good? If yes, know of a place where I could buy one and how much?

So I did more research and maybe I can just continue to use the EPL1 and buy something like a Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens. I more into street photography and bokehs so would that lens be good? If yes, know of a place where I could buy one and how much?
    Just find a good used copy here in BnS will do. Learn to get into getting the right composition and how to use your photos to tell a story rather than getting into the Bokeh frenzy. You will appreciate photography more this way.
    Sony A7/ Sigma 19-2.8 E/ CV 35-1.7 ASPH/ FE 55-1.8/ MC Rokkor 58-1.2/ Pentax SMC K 135-2.5

You have a point. What lens would you recommend?

I can't advise as I m not a M4/3 user. Let d experts in this genre advise u but for street photography, any effective focal length of between 35-50mm is recommended.

The kit lens (14-42mm) is good enough. I took most of my shots with the 14-42mm and so far there is absolutely no problem with it. Of course AF speed are not blazingly fast, but it is still alright in my opinion. and I nailed 99% of my shots accurately, and I suspect that 1% that I missed are because of my own technique (nothing to do with my EPL1).
    My lousy shots

Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    The kit lens (14-42mm) is good enough. I took most of my shots with the 14-42mm and so far there is absolutely no problem with it. Of course AF speed are not blazingly fast, but it is still alright in my opinion. and I nailed 99% of my shots accurately, and I suspect that 1% that I missed are because of my own technique (nothing to do with my EPL1).
    Ok gottcha. But if i was to go with something with lower apperture, would I go for the 20mm 1.7 or 14mm 2.5? Both are cheap with the 14mm being cheaper and was said, accrdg to reviews, to be better walkaround lens.

Ok gottcha. But if i was to go with something with lower apperture, would I go for the 20mm 1.7 or 14mm 2.5? Both are cheap with the 14mm being cheaper and was said, accrdg to reviews, to be better walkaround lens.
    D question is if u r comfortable wif prime lenses? Both these 2 lenses on d EPL1 will haf different field of view. Its better u test them out by renting or borrow from frens. Wide aperture is good for creative shots but take note on d DOF so u know what degree of sharp n blur u want in yr photos.

20mm is effectively a 40mm in EPL1 while 14mm is effectively an 28mm in EPL1. So which focal range are more suitable for you? It is difficult for anyone of us to advise. I normally use my kit lens for walkabout on my OM-D (and last time EPL1), and the 17-70mm for my 7D. I know of someone using 70-200mm for their walkabout and I also know of a couple who uses the 40mm STM lens for their walkabout. I have also seen people with the 25mm f1.4 (Pana lens).

It is not abt how cheap a lens be... it is about yourself. Which focal length you are more comfortable in? That is also one reason I asked you to use your kit lens first... only after you are sure of which focal length you are more comfortable with, then think about getting a prime lens in that length.
    My lousy shots

One good review on d Panny 20mm.

"This lens has been with me for over three years now — pretty much since it got available in late 2009, and I couldn’t imagine ever parting with it. It has made some of my most cherished pictures, be they family snaps, architectural shots, landscapes, pictures taken at the zoo … One reason why this is my most used lens is that it’s the one I had the longest, and that for a considerable amount of time it was my only lens for the Micro Four Thirds system. But more importantly, the 20/1.7 has a number of properties that make it my go-to-lens:

With its focal length of 20mm, it corresponds to a 40mm lens in full-frame terms. And 40mm is the perfect balance between moderately wide and just slightly narrow. Not too much of either, and a little bit of both.
    With its f/1.7 initial aperture, I can not only take pictures in dimly lit environments. In conjunction with the 20mm focal length, it also provides shallow enough depth-of-field for some serious subject isolation — up to a certain distance, that is. I.e. mostly close up.
    It’s small. Really small. Together with my Olympus E-P1, this is the perfect package to take anywhere any day. And compared to most pancake lenses for full-frame systems, which max out at f/2.8, it’s over a stop faster."

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013...vorite-lenses/

I have the impression that the EPL1 has pretty slow AF (from what I can really handling it about 2yrs ago; and I consider myself having not too high a standard wrt AF speed).
    But since its 'free', its fine

If you want shallow DOF shots, look at the 45/1.8.
    The 20/1.7 is more versatile though imo, and its my lens of choice most of the time.
    Whether DOF is shallow enough for your requirement, I think you need to see more samples online.
    Look at how the lens renders the bkgnd for head/shoulders shots, half body shots, full body shots, to have a rough idea of what it can do.
    Other factors like bkgnd distance plays a part too, but often enough the samples will give you a rough idea.

Note that if you stick w/ m4/3, your working distance will be different from that of aps-c or ff.
    IMO, 45mm or 75mm is about as long as I'd get a good working distance with.
    Any longer and there is a need to stand pretty far from the subject to get a half body shot or full body shot.
    Not impossible with a longer lens, just need to stand further away ( with its associated issues)

some street/candid/people photography samples :

With the 20/1.7 (note, not all are shot at large apertures)

shot with the 45/1.8

Just to share been shooting lots on my panny Gx1, My humble opinion is that 14-42 is a general purpose lens, it can do bokeh, but a little tricky....works well for daylight conditions...the everyday street lens....but not fast enuff for say inpromptu potriats shots ( maybe also my skill & experience)

20mm f1.7 fantastic indoor lens...wide coverage, dim resturants....close up shoots on your food on table etc....very versatile indoors where your subjects are of short distance. Works very well for landscapes...its sharp its fast and yeah night street shootsis where it will excel

Oly 45mm f1.8..... A must have ...extremely fast for bokehs, portriats and lenscape.....its the all for bokeh lens....fast and decent reach to your subjects without having to be close like the 20mm...great landscapes and low light condition.....i would rate it as the everyday lens have it included the built in image stabiliser and zoom feature with constant F

I own both the 14mm and 25mm. Both are equally good for street photography, but the 25 is faster and can be used for portraits more extensively because of the wider aperture. The 14 will fit more into the frame and can be useful for landscapes and location shoots. The 45mm could be too tele for some.

The 14mm on the gx1 makes it super sleek, thin and pocketable.

TS. When you mention about bokeh, I think you are referring to thin depth of field. How nice is this out of focus part depend quite a lot on the number of aperture blades and it's shape. You have to check out the lens review and look at photos taken by other to judge for yourself if you like it.

Getting a thin depth of field depend not just on large aperture, it depend on "long" focal length, "short" distance of camera to subject and "long" distance of subject to background.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

i won't ever say no to free camera.
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post

I second that

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jliow View Post

I second that
    I Third that

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast