Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41

Thread: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

  1. #1

    Question Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Hi guys! Like what the title implies, I am a beginner thats been practicing with my sisters olympus ep-1 for about three months now. I have a pretty good hand on the basics if you ask me and now, Im ready to buy my first camera. Here are my choices:

    1. A second hand Fuji X100 ($650-700) - It shoots well and capable of producing very nice bokehs (which are my favorite), plus it has the retro look that I really dig. Problems with this that I think are the fixed focal length and various performance issues (that people say the latest firmwares have fixed, but not all!). Some also say that this is not the best cam for beginners.

    2. Bnew Samsung NX300 ($900-950) - Ive read reviews of this and all of them gives it atleast 4 stars out of 5. It shoots really well and also has the same retro looks. Ive handled it at a shop nearby and I must say I am impressed with the body and performance of it (especially the touch to focus, speaking of focus it does so really fast). The local electronic guy offered me the camera along with the standard 35mm-50mm lens, additional 50mm-100mm zoom lens, tripod (which is useful as I plan on doing alot of videos), carrying bag and extra battery. Now it also has problems, first the additional bulk. Im planning to travel like 2-3x a year. Next is the fact that Ill need to buy atleast one more lens (looking at a f1.7-8 20mm lens) which would set me back another $300-400. Lastly, this one is a minor but the flash needs to be attached which adds more to the bulk. The lack of EVF does not bother me though, plus the camera has loads more of features that well Im not planning to use that much but are good to have.

    What do you guys think?

  2. #2

    Default

    Nex-6 LOL
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    May I know the reasons for your recommendation? Im also assuming that the Nex-6 belongs to higher price range.

  4. #4
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigs Payawal View Post
    Hi guys! Like what the title implies, I am a beginner thats been practicing with my sisters olympus ep-1 for about three months now. I have a pretty good hand on the basics if you ask me and now, Im ready to buy my first camera. Here are my choices:

    1. A second hand Fuji X100 ($650-700) - It shoots well and capable of producing very nice bokehs (which are my favorite), plus it has the retro look that I really dig. Problems with this that I think are the fixed focal length and various performance issues (that people say the latest firmwares have fixed, but not all!). Some also say that this is not the best cam for beginners.

    2. Bnew Samsung NX300 ($900-950) - Ive read reviews of this and all of them gives it atleast 4 stars out of 5. It shoots really well and also has the same retro looks. Ive handled it at a shop nearby and I must say I am impressed with the body and performance of it (especially the touch to focus, speaking of focus it does so really fast). The local electronic guy offered me the camera along with the standard 35mm-50mm lens, additional 50mm-100mm zoom lens, tripod (which is useful as I plan on doing alot of videos), carrying bag and extra battery. Now it also has problems, first the additional bulk. Im planning to travel like 2-3x a year. Next is the fact that Ill need to buy atleast one more lens (looking at a f1.7-8 20mm lens) which would set me back another $300-400. Lastly, this one is a minor but the flash needs to be attached which adds more to the bulk. The lack of EVF does not bother me though, plus the camera has loads more of features that well Im not planning to use that much but are good to have.

    What do you guys think?
    Since you have been playing with EP1, wouldn't it be better if you get the Olympus EP5 or OM-D since you would be very familiar with the Olympus menus layout and placement of buttons and stuff like that. Although micro four thirds cameras had smaller sensor as compared to APS-C sensor camera, they are by no means any worst.

    I have both the Canon 7D and OMD and both works just as well... OMD having smaller sensor, held its ground very very well... even when compared to newer APS-C sensor camera. Also the micro-four third had very well established system (great selection of lenses, accessories and heaps of OEM makers for accessories).

    But between the Samsung NX300 and Fujifilm X100, I would definitely choose the NX300 for its ability to change lenses (this would be much more versatile as compared to the X100). As for NEX-6... I would rather get the NEX-7... the price different is not really that much (in my opinion) and I would get a cam with more manual control... plus a weather proof body.
    Last edited by rhino123; 24th May 2013 at 12:35 PM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  5. #5

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Since you have been playing with EP1, wouldn't it be better if you get the Olympus EP5 or OM-D since you would be very familiar with the Olympus menus layout and placement of buttons and stuff like that. Although micro four thirds cameras had smaller sensor as compared to APS-C sensor camera, they are by no means any worst.

    I have both the Canon 7D and OMD and both works just as well... OMD having smaller sensor, held its ground very very well... even when compared to newer APS-C sensor camera. Also the micro-four third had very well established system (great selection of lenses, accessories and heaps of OEM makers for accessories).

    But between the Samsung NX300 and Fujifilm X100, I would definitely choose the NX300 for its ability to change lenses (this would be much more versatile as compared to the X100). As for NEX-6... I would rather get the NEX-7... the price different is not really that much (in my opinion) and I would get a cam with more manual control... plus a weather proof body.
    Thank you very much for the reply. Id rather ditch the PEN series as frankly I don't like the UI and the overall looks of their cameras. And yes, the NX300 is alot more versatile plus I wouldnt be getting the additional lens I mentioned immediately (so we're pretty much just talking about $950 here) as the lens that came with it captures pretty good Bokehs out of the box (plus the touch to focus is really a joy to use). The only problem I have with mirrorless cams is portability especially when travelling. Have you had the same problem with you cameras?

    Im doing more research right now and have stumbled upon the X20. Reviews says it performs admirably, but ofcourse the 2/3 sensor would be a bigg step down from the NX300.

  6. #6

    Default

    I'll take the NEX series over the NX series any time.

    Or how about the Fuji x10/20? Has the same retro look and solves the fixed focal issue. Just smaller sensor....
    hi

  7. #7

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    May I know the reason? Would you still take the NEX over the NX even with the package the clerk is offering me? As of now, the NEX camera that is in the same price range of the NX300 is the 5N.

    Yes Ive actually stumbled upon the X20... and ive read alot of positive reviews. The more I research the more I get confused on what I should get. Will I be able to get good Bokehs out of the X20?
    Last edited by Jigs Payawal; 24th May 2013 at 01:20 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigs Payawal View Post
    Thank you very much for the reply. Id rather ditch the PEN series as frankly I don't like the UI and the overall looks of their cameras. And yes, the NX300 is alot more versatile plus I wouldnt be getting the additional lens I mentioned immediately (so we're pretty much just talking about $950 here) as the lens that came with it captures pretty good Bokehs out of the box (plus the touch to focus is really a joy to use). The only problem I have with mirrorless cams is portability especially when travelling. Have you had the same problem with you cameras?

    Im doing more research right now and have stumbled upon the X20. Reviews says it performs admirably, but ofcourse the 2/3 sensor would be a bigg step down from the NX300.
    Portability? Never have any problem with that. Before I got my OMD, I travel with my 7D + 17-70mm lens + 70-200mm f4L and 300mm f4L lenses... and sometime with my tripod too (even on overseas vacation)... when I got my OMD... I was like... "OMG! It was soooo light! I can now travel with all my lenses at once, carried a traveller tripod and stuff like that and not feeling sore after a day of shoot!"

    If you ask me... nope... mirrorless interchangeable lenses camera is of great size... I don't really fancy very small sized camera.

    As for X20... yes it is a great camera, excellent image quality and the such. But, if you are going to get the X20, why not consider the much famed RX100 from sony? It featured a 1 inch sensor that was incredible even in low light situation. Also the Canon much forgotten G1X (1.5 inch sensor) and with image quality beating some DSLR. Both Sony RX100 and G1X are selling at a much more affordable price nowadays (I believe the Sony is around 8XX while the G1X is 7XX)... pretty good price, great focal range and excellent IQ (although the Canon's AF is a bit sluggish and there is no macro in it).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  9. #9
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Actually TS... it is good that you have done extensive research on the cameras to get. Don't get confuse... follow your heart

    Since you have done your research, then you should come to the conclusion that all the listed cameras are good in their own way, and each and everyone had their own preferences when it came to camera and camera brands. No matter which one you choose, all of them will give you great IQ, it is just a matter of your shooting skills and capability.

    Anyway, just go down to the shops, pick up these cameras and see which one suits you better, then get that one.

    Oh... also don't forget to check out Canon's SL1 (the smallest DSLR presently - not much bigger than the OMD). I have played with it... AF is quick (phase autofocus) and precise when using the viewfinder... AF in live view is good (not as fast as what Sony, Olympus and Panasonic had to offer though, but I find it acceptable).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  10. #10

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post
    Actually TS... it is good that you have done extensive research on the cameras to get. Don't get confuse... follow your heart

    Since you have done your research, then you should come to the conclusion that all the listed cameras are good in their own way, and each and everyone had their own preferences when it came to camera and camera brands. No matter which one you choose, all of them will give you great IQ, it is just a matter of your shooting skills and capability.

    Anyway, just go down to the shops, pick up these cameras and see which one suits you better, then get that one.

    Oh... also don't forget to check out Canon's SL1 (the smallest DSLR presently - not much bigger than the OMD). I have played with it... AF is quick (phase autofocus) and precise when using the viewfinder... AF in live view is good (not as fast as what Sony, Olympus and Panasonic had to offer though, but I find it acceptable).
    A huge thanks for the help rhino. Im actually following my heart but am still confused. LOL. Anyways, ive narrowed my choices down to the NX300, X20 and RX100 (yes I want the retro look but the 1" sensor of the RX100 is really compelling). Im heading down to Expo later to check out the X20 and SL1 you mentioned. Get a feel of them and such. Again thanks for the huge help!

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigs Payawal View Post
    May I know the reason? Would you still take the NEX over the NX even with the package the clerk is offering me? As of now, the NEX camera that is in the same price range of the NX300 is the 5N.

    Yes Ive actually stumbled upon the X20... and ive read alot of positive reviews. The more I research the more I get confused on what I should get. Will I be able to get good Bokehs out of the X20?
    Well that's just my own opinion. But there's a reason why ppl prefer other mirror less brands than Samsung. They are better off making displays and phones... Plus there's not a lot of 3rd party support for NX cameras, be it lenses or accessories. Not that NEX has a lot but the growth is definitely much better for Sony than for Samsung...
    hi

  12. #12

    Default

    Hv u ever consider getting the Olympus system since you are familiar with it?

    Ask yourself why you want to switch to other system.
    And since you want to travel light, look at their available lens focal length that you want.
    Otherwise you will be carrying a few lens and hving to change lens often.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by silvermoon1407 View Post
    Well that's just my own opinion. But there's a reason why ppl prefer other mirror less brands than Samsung. They are better off making displays and phones... Plus there's not a lot of 3rd party support for NX cameras, be it lenses or accessories. Not that NEX has a lot but the growth is definitely much better for Sony than for Samsung...
    From what Ive read, yes people does prefer the NEX series more. Problem is, correct me if im wrong, the Nex 5 doesnt have an exposure dial which is rather important for me. Also, do the Nex series have a touch to focus option as well?

  14. #14

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    If i was to go Olympus, what model would you recommend that is atleast at par with the NX300?

  15. #15
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigs Payawal View Post
    If i was to go Olympus, what model would you recommend that is atleast at par with the NX300?
    Frankly... there is no such a thing as on par with any brand, because all of them are as good as each other. But given a choice, I would still go for OMD and/or EP-5... OMD and EP5 gave me full manual control of the camera, have all the things that I need, very very speedy and accurate AF, live bulb mode, etc. And OMD was weather seal, have incredible EVF, support external flash, and good enough high fps.

    Seriously, I don't find anything lacking in my OMD... I have not really play with any Samsung cameras yet, but from what I have read and see, I believe the NX300 is a very very capable camera, with great lenses and accessories... so it would be a tough call.

    Whatever the case, it still boils down to yourself, which one is more suitable for you? That is a question that you would need to answer yourself.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  16. #16
    Moderator rhino123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NA
    Posts
    5,247

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigs Payawal View Post
    From what Ive read, yes people does prefer the NEX series more. Problem is, correct me if im wrong, the Nex 5 doesnt have an exposure dial which is rather important for me. Also, do the Nex series have a touch to focus option as well?
    I am not too sure about the NEX system... but what I know is... do you really really need the touch to focus option? For me, I have switched that option off from my OMD, find it a waste of time (but that was me only) and don't get it wrong, that option in OMD did its job well... it is just that I have no need for it.

    Also I would believe that both the NEX6 and NEX7 would have the exposure dial... not too sure though.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rhino123 View Post

    I am not too sure about the NEX system... but what I know is... do you really really need the touch to focus option? For me, I have switched that option off from my OMD, find it a waste of time (but that was me only) and don't get it wrong, that option in OMD did its job well... it is just that I have no need for it.

    Also I would believe that both the NEX6 and NEX7 would have the exposure dial... not too sure though.
    The 5N has touch to focus but I turned it off as it's really just an annoying marketing gimmick.

    Exposure compensation can be set as a shortcut button. But the metering is usually quite reliable anyway.
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigs Payawal View Post

    From what Ive read, yes people does prefer the NEX series more. Problem is, correct me if im wrong, the Nex 5 doesnt have an exposure dial which is rather important for me. Also, do the Nex series have a touch to focus option as well?
    If dials and touch focus is really important to you, then u dun exactly have much choices. Like many had said, touch focus is more often than not, annoying. Why not just shoot with smartphone? As for exposure dial, yes some mirrorless models exclude that, but they are often just a menu dive away...
    hi

  19. #19
    Member Aikiway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    on the east side of Singapore
    Posts
    278

    Default Re: Beginning Photgraphy: Which camera from the two?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jigs Payawal View Post
    Hi guys! Like what the title implies, I am a beginner thats been practicing with my sisters olympus ep-1 for about three months now. I have a pretty good hand on the basics if you ask me and now, Im ready to buy my first camera. Here are my choices:

    1. A second hand Fuji X100 ($650-700) - It shoots well and capable of producing very nice bokehs (which are my favorite), plus it has the retro look that I really dig. Problems with this that I think are the fixed focal length and various performance issues (that people say the latest firmwares have fixed, but not all!). Some also say that this is not the best cam for beginners.

    2. Bnew Samsung NX300 ($900-950) - Ive read reviews of this and all of them gives it atleast 4 stars out of 5. It shoots really well and also has the same retro looks. Ive handled it at a shop nearby and I must say I am impressed with the body and performance of it (especially the touch to focus, speaking of focus it does so really fast). The local electronic guy offered me the camera along with the standard 35mm-50mm lens, additional 50mm-100mm zoom lens, tripod (which is useful as I plan on doing alot of videos), carrying bag and extra battery. Now it also has problems, first the additional bulk. Im planning to travel like 2-3x a year. Next is the fact that Ill need to buy atleast one more lens (looking at a f1.7-8 20mm lens) which would set me back another $300-400. Lastly, this one is a minor but the flash needs to be attached which adds more to the bulk. The lack of EVF does not bother me though, plus the camera has loads more of features that well Im not planning to use that much but are good to have.

    What do you guys think?
    Based on your query, I would strongly recommend getting just the Fujifilm x20. Why?
    1. The current price of the x20 is roughly that of a 2nd hand x100.
    2. It has all the various exposure dials, aperture and shutter dial for you to use. Much like a miniature DSLR.
    3. It's focal length is the equivalent of 28-115. Should be enough for a start.
    4. When you finally decide to move to a DSLR, learning to see your world from a OVF is essential.
    ==================================================
    Canon 5DMK3 |Fujifilm X-E2, X-T1|

  20. #20

    Default

    TS, have you ever considered Panasonic cameras? Same m4/3 mount as the olympus (you can share lenses with your sister!) plus it has a better interface. I'm using a GX1 and it's awesome.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •