Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Street Photography : Share your thought process

Default Re: Street Photography : Share your thought process

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, I am a burst shooter.
    i am not disappointed... everyone is entitled to their own technique... (and their opinion LOL !)

I get only one shot because I use manual focus, and I can't track focus that quickly if shooting dynamic scene...no more panning and shooting
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Quote Originally Posted by martosc View Post
    I don't usually go out with a certain mindset or restriction -- although I often have (on going) projects/themes that I may or may not encounter during the walk. What I need is a starting point with general directions, and then go with the flow. For example: go to Little India, start from the MRT station, and just walk around anywhere I feel like decided on the spot. Later that day, I ended up in Chinatown :-).

My humble advise for every walk: comfortable clothing, good shoes and an open mind :-).

Hope you have an enjoyable walk. Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Cameras are made for that, the expected average shutter life will give you plenty of space, still.
    Certain situations require more than one shot, that's ok. Others can be nailed in one shot. In the end, nobody will know whether this picture is a single frame or one out of 250. But you'll get all the fame if you nailed it

martosc >> Hey.. You've nailed what I've pretty much been doing. Start from a point and walk. Haha. Just the other day,I decided to venture into the heartlands. I hit the neighbourhood of Bedok Town and I must say that there were some really interesting sights. But I didn't manage to come away with photos that I was happy with. Shall try the heartlands yet again. Thanks for sharing!

Octarine >> Haha.. you are so right that no one knows how many shots you take of a particular scene. I do get surprised when I get back and upload the files into the computer and find that there are like 20 shots of that one scene that I was trying to capture. haha.. And yeah, I'm not concerned with the shutter count. Just a little surprised that it can hit so high so fast. Thanks!

I hardly if ever shoot streets nowadays, but previously I shoot with pre focusing. End up at times i need small burst to increase chances of a focus.

There will be some annoyance but it is kinda like a rite of passage for street photographers, especially if you love using wider focal lengths. And that is where courtesy and politeness counts.

Ryan

My thought process as follows,

Got nothing to do during the weekend > take a walk > OTOT taking photos happily along the street > go for beer with friends after that. Photography is therapeutic to me. I look through the viewfinder and forget everything at the office. So I'm happy just taking photos.
    Last edited by macaroni; 27th May 2013 at 02:12 PM.

Read the scene, see the picture, understand the story, anticipate and position yourself and then trigger the shutter.

All these can be just under a second....
    Last edited by coolthought; 27th May 2013 at 09:58 PM.
    Coolthought - 冷静思考 - クールだ http://xaa.xanga.com/0aba0666d143253.../t35917343.gif

Quote Originally Posted by macaroni View Post
    My thought process as follows,

Got nothing to do during the weekend > take a walk > OTOT taking photos happily along the street > go for beer with friends after that. Photography is therapeutic to me. I look through the viewfinder and forget everything at the office. So I'm happy just taking photos.
    macaroni >>> I agree that it is therapeutic. There is just something special about being able to capture a moment that somehow resonated with you. Very fulfilling!

Quote Originally Posted by coolthought View Post
    Read the scene, see the picture, understand the story, anticipate and position yourself and then trigger the shutter.

All these can be just under a second....
    coolthought >> Thanks for the tip. The positioning is something that I am trying to nail in the past two outings. I find that a nice scene is marred by poor technical execution sometimes. (Eg : When trees start growing out from people's heads) And yet, there are some photos that i have seen where the photographer manages to shoot the background clutter in such a way that it adds to the composition and not distracts the viewer from the main subject. That is skill that i wish to learn.

Blog Entries

'Street Photography' is more about social anthropology and an interest in society THAN it is about photography.... the camera is the observer's notepad and pen nothing more

So yes, look for the stories not just the images
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    'Street Photography' is more about social anthropology and an interest in society THAN it is about photography.... the camera is the observer's notepad and pen nothing more

So yes, look for the stories not just the images
    Ed9119>>>. Thanks for the tip! I would like to think that the whole package is put together well. A good story needs to be executed/told/captured by good technique. otherwise, the story will sadly be lost or misrepresented. That is a huge challenge for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12