Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Street Photography : Share your thought process

Default Street Photography : Share your thought process

Hi ClubSnappers,

As I was preparing my kit for tomorrow's solo photowalk, I was just wondering how one would prepare himself mentally for a day of street photography.

1)Till date, I don't really make any plans other than the location that I intend to shoot at. I just shoot whatever that I see which resonates with me and scenes that I wish to interpret in my own way.

2)However a recent message exchange with CSer tengk, revealed that he decides on what story he wishes to tell before he sets off on a shoot and then captures the subjects through his camera. It set me thinking.

3)And in a book I was reading "Chasing the Light", the authour set out on his walks guided by the quality of the lighting falling on the subjects.

4)Another article I read online suggested setting challenges and objectives for yourself (eg : Only fixed focal length. Or only aperture f8. Or only shoot pictures of striking colour contrast etc)

With the numerous avid street photographers sharing their splendid works out there, I would like to invite all shooters (non-street shooters too) to share their mindsets when they go out and shoot the streets so that newbies like myself can learn. Newbies are more than welcome to share your thoughts too!

Cheers and thanks.

Use your own creativity, your own style and your own goals instead of trying to imitate others.

Be flexible and dynamic. That's my tip.
    Alpha

Default Re: Street Photography : Share your thought process

Rashkae>> Thanks for the tip! Couldn't agree more. Creativity and your own individual identity is of the utmost importance.

However, I was just wondering if the others would share some of their thoughts. Just so that beginners like me (or in fact everyone for that matter) would have a new way/perspective to explore and enjoy street photography.

Street photography happens in a matter of seconds, most of the time.

You don't have the luxury of time to fiddle around much with settings. What you can do, is to remember basic techniques like composition and shutter speed to get the moment.

See the end result in your head. It'll help you to visualize the composition

I just drove out from little India, trying to look for interesting sightings. It's very quiet there at certain lanes now, maybe I'll go back in a while. Rule no.1 for me, get out there and walk the street and create. I can't find any inspiration while driving thru the lanes just now, but probably walking there will get me somewhere...I don't know.

The thing is, Norman, no one can predict what will u get when u are out there. Those so called rules u mentioned above are just guides, and meant to be broken on site. Follow your guts and take what u like and enjoy doing
    "Time is often the best editor" - Alex Webb

kei1309 >> Thanks for dropping by with that tip! That is one thing I am really trying to work at. Capturing what my eyes see. Most of the times, I can't seem to recreate that moment that caught my eye using the camera. But the once or twice I do, is really satisfying. Haha. You are right... Need to think and compose in the head quite fast. Otherwise a good moment will be ruined with a tree or lamp post sprouting from the head.

wolfton >> Ah.. Little India is a very fun place to shoot. I guess you are right. It is important to walk the streets and immerse yourself in the environment to get a better feel. Shall do just that tomorrow morning. Probably start with Little India tomorrow morning even! Thanks wolfton!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wolfton View Post
    I just drove out from little India, trying to look for interesting sightings. It's very quiet there at certain lanes now, maybe I'll go back in a while. Rule no.1 for me, get out there and walk the street and create. I can't find any inspiration while driving thru the lanes just now, but probably walking there will get me somewhere...I don't know.

The thing is, Norman, no one can predict what will u get when u are out there. Those so called rules u mentioned above are just guides, and meant to be broken on site. Follow your guts and take what u like and enjoy doing
    Little india is getting more and more quiet over the last couple of years. Many of the good stuff are gone...

Maybe you can plan a trip with the clubers here.
    This may help you as well.

Daredevil123>> well im gonna try hitting little India in the early weekday morning to see how that works out.

Sadper>>.yeah. I've been on one SFP Photowalk organized by Billy. And another one last week where 2 others from CS joined me on a walkabout. It was rewarding as I got to see their perspectives on the same subjects we chose to shoot. And I intend to attend / organize more.

However this topic of "what/how to plan to shoot" didn't arise. Hence I'm throwing it out to everyone for an opportunity to share and learn.
    Last edited by NormanSelvaraju; 23rd May 2013 at 07:05 AM.

And my preemptive response to the advice " don't think/worry so much. Just go out and shoot", consider your advice taken. I'm out already. And shooting. Haha.
    Last edited by NormanSelvaraju; 23rd May 2013 at 07:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daredevil123 View Post
    Little india is getting more and more quiet over the last couple of years. Many of the good stuff are gone...
    Yeah, and to a certain extent, most of Singapore's street too....but no choice, we stay here, got to take what we have. Will have hope for more travels but work and family is an issue.....

shoot like a sniper not a machine gunner
    make every shot count!
    宁愿遇见丢失幼崽的母熊,也不愿碰上做蠢事的愚人

Fast for 3 days to cleanse the body.

Meditate for 6 hours to cleanse the mind.

Now you are mentally prepared!
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Fast for 3 days to cleanse the body.

Meditate for 6 hours to cleanse the mind.

Now you are mentally prepared!
    And use blower + lenspen to cleanse the lens?
    Haha.

I don't usually go out with a certain mindset or restriction -- although I often have (on going) projects/themes that I may or may not encounter during the walk. What I need is a starting point with general directions, and then go with the flow. For example: go to Little India, start from the MRT station, and just walk around anywhere I feel like decided on the spot. Later that day, I ended up in Chinatown :-).

My humble advise for every walk: comfortable clothing, good shoes and an open mind :-).

Hope you have an enjoyable walk. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    make every shot count!
    Haven't reached that level. I carpet bomb the entire scene just so that I don't miss out on the moment.

But yeah. I hope to develop my eye to that level soon. Shutter count is almost 4000 and I only purchased the camera in December!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NormanSelvaraju View Post
    Haven't reached that level. I carpet bomb the entire scene just so that I don't miss out on the moment.

But yeah. I hope to develop my eye to that level soon. Shutter count is almost 4000 and I only purchased the camera in December!!!
    Actually there is nothing wrong with shooting like a machine gun... it might get on some people's nerve when you do that though. But whatever works for you. Know that you are in the age of digital, you can always preview your shots, and if it was not to your liking, just delete them away.

It is always good to have a couple of shots of the same scene than having just one and that one sucks... then you would have lost that moment forever.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

i blew away 1200-plus shots at the F1 last year, and one month later on holiday i hit about 2500-plus on the shutter count.

it's normal.

Cameras are made for that, the expected average shutter life will give you plenty of space, still.
    Certain situations require more than one shot, that's ok. Others can be nailed in one shot. In the end, nobody will know whether this picture is a single frame or one out of 250. But you'll get all the fame if you nailed it
    EOS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shizuma View Post
    make every shot count!
    Sorry to disappoint, I am a burst shooter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast