Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What film do you use

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    Thanks student,

I will try to be slow and steady when come to film photography. Only then I can be more aware of what I am doing and spot mistakes and learn fom it.

My suggestion for "beginners" in B&W photography is to do the "older" emulsions such as TriX and HP5. More "forgiving".

If you are still interested in Tmax100, may I suggest you read an article written by one of photopurist's teachers. Photographer called John Sexton. Check his website www.johnsexton.com where he gave pointers to use Tmax100 successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by student
    My suggestion for "beginners" in B&W photography is to do the "older" emulsions such as TriX and HP5. More "forgiving".

If you are still interested in Tmax100, may I suggest you read an article written by one of photopurist's teachers. Photographer called John Sexton. Check his website www.johnsexton.com where he gave pointers to use Tmax100 successfully.
    Thanks so much for the link. I will need to learn more about zone system first before can go into B&W.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Quote Originally Posted by DarkForce
    Thanks so much for the link. I will need to learn more about zone system first before can go into B&W.

I apologise. I just checked into the website and could not find the article. If you are interested I can fax a copy to you. I have the article somewhere.

I apologise. I just checked into the website and could not find the article. If you are interested I can fax a copy to you. I have the article somewhere.
    I am aware of it but still thanks for pointing that link to me.

At the moment I am more interested in learning the zone system . Hoping someone there to cancel out from http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=125167 then i got a chance to learn loh.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

Default My preferred films ..

Landscape/citiscape : Provia 100F

Potraits: NPH (shot at 250), NPS

General: Fuji Superia 200

B&W: Kodak TCN (easy to process ..

DarkForce: Do go out and shoot some slides .. really not that difficult to get exposure right. Once you view the slides on the lightbox, you''ll be hooked

if it's not raining, i'll probably shoot some provia 100f tomorrow

My Choice of good ol' film:

All-rounder (and cheap) : Superia 200 or Gold 200

Street: HP5 (I would use TriX also, but i got too used to developing HP5 with ID-11..heh..)

BW Portrait: TMax 100 (kinda tricky to use, but when u get it right...the results are magic..)

Nature/Landscape: Velvia 50 (with those colours, your eyes can explode..woohoo)

Indoor/event: Press 800 (speed and nice saturated colours...thank u Fuji...)
    if my camera is there at the right moment, click, all I have to do is accept it.
    -edouard boubat

Quote Originally Posted by mfopus
    Landscape/citiscape : Provia 100F

Potraits: NPH (shot at 250), NPS

General: Fuji Superia 200

B&W: Kodak TCN (easy to process ..

DarkForce: Do go out and shoot some slides .. really not that difficult to get exposure right. Once you view the slides on the lightbox, you''ll be hooked
    I already got impressed by the slide colour many many years ago. Trying hard to fight against the temptation.
    寒冰不能斷流水 枯木亦會再逢春

EH....CHEAP FILM I PLAY WITH = superia

Portraits
    Porta 160 for studio
    Porta 400 for outdoors

Colour
    Fuji Superia
    Press 800

Mono
    ilford HP5

landscape:ilford delta 100 (120) super fine & nice contrast !(when printed 5R)

street: Tmax 400 35mm great speed,nice grain and good contrast (4R)

portrait or close up: any 120 or bigger film will give great results !

slides: Kodak Ektachrome,VS or 100S like the kodak warmer tone

Color neg : kodak 100/200 or ektacolor 160(GPX160)cheap and good..

This thread will probably give you all the answers, or at least most of the films out there, but then I will still chip in my answer.

For buildings/architechural shots, it will be Velvia or Provia 100F. Velvia at early morning and late afternoon with yellow sunlight while Provia 100F at later morning and early after with clearer less yellowish light condition. Of course no overcast condition.

For indoor family shots, still that Sensia 100 that will do the job with great skin colour for cheap price. Having Astia 100F is great but I still havent shot enough to justify making that perm switch to buy in bulk.

Shot a roll of Kodak E100GX, I think that is a great film for streetshooting people with good light. Provia100F is a no no for me for streeshooting, rather use Sensia100 if I cannot find Kodak E100GX.

For wildlife and scenery, I guess Velvia is the one. Havent try Kodak E100VS.

Did not shoot much neg film. All my colour neg still in fridge. B&W still havent venture much.

Colour neg
    Outdoors/ windowlight: Reala
    Low light: NPZ800

B&W
    Neopan400, BW400CN

Fuji is expected to launch their latest film True Definition in the mid of the year. It is a iso 400 film. Said to have fine grain and made for scanning too.

The announcement was in March 05 during the PMA 2005.

Yes Dark Force, lots of film to choose.

Dark Force

Dont forget your polariser. A wonderful combo for film.

The following represent my favorites, I do use other alternatives from time to time.

B/W Negatives: Ilford XP2 Super

B/W Transparancies: Agfa Scala 200X

Color Transparancies: Kodak 100VS

Can anyone recommend a good all around color negative? Not too contrasty and accurate rendition of skin tones are what I'm looking for.

I currently take a very minimalistic approach to photography so I only use 2 films: Ilford XP2 and Kodak BW 400CN.

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    B/W Transparancies: Agfa Scala 200X
    For those not familiar with this film, it is the only dedicated B&W transparency and gives beautiful images.

BUT, developing it is a nightmare because there are only a handful of establishments "WORLDWIDE" licensed to process this film.

So it is going to be expensive.

For me the reasons to use this film is
    1 you just like the looks of the film and enjoy looking at transparencies
    2 you want to use this film as a positive to make an enlarged negative for contact printng
    3 of course you can scan it in to make digital files. But I am not sure if it confers any advantage over digital capture.

BUT, developing it is a nightmare because there are only a handful of establishments "WORLDWIDE" licensed to process this film.
    Hi, which lab do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by Terence
    Hi, which lab do you use?
    Used to send my scala to Duggal in New York. But I just learnt that they had decided to stop processing scala. I will probably have to look for another one, likely in LA.

Used to send my scala to Duggal in New York. But I just learnt that they had decided to stop processing scala. I will probably have to look for another one, likely in LA.
    You're kidding? I never heard that. I I just started using Main Photo in LA but was thinking of sending to Duggal. No news on their website about dropping Scala. It's kinda sad to see more labs go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast