Thread: Alternate/3rd party lens servicing locations

Default Alternate/3rd party lens servicing locations

Hello all,

Was at NSC earlier to replace a cracked A/M switch on my 80-200mm.

Quote estimation was:

A/M ring cost: $9
    Servicing: $140

Even though the replacement process includes the dismantling of the lens, the servicing cost was explained to include lens cleaning as well, something I didn't feel I needed, especially at $140, before GST

Are there any other 3rd party locations I can go to to get this ring replaced? I understand that the lens has to be dismantled, and I'm prepared to pay for it, just didn't expect that big a pricetag

This ring doesn't affect anything and the only setback is that it annoys me. I can still flip between autofocus and manual focus.
    Last edited by nickzkcin; 21st May 2013 at 01:26 PM.
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'

Blog Entries

Default Re: Alternate/3rd party lens servicing locations

Quote Originally Posted by nickzkcin View Post
    Hello all,

Was at NSC earlier to replace a cracked A/M switch on my 80-200mm.

Quote estimation was:

A/M ring cost: $9
    Servicing: $140

Even though the replacement process includes the dismantling of the lens, the servicing cost was explained to include lens cleaning as well, something I didn't feel I needed, especially at $140, before GST

Are there any other 3rd party locations I can go to to get this ring replaced? I understand that the lens has to be dismantled, and I'm prepared to pay for it, just didn't expect that big a pricetag

This ring doesn't affect anything and the only setback is that it annoys me. I can still flip between autofocus and manual focus.
    This is a very common problem for the 80-200. Even if you get the ring replaced. it will still break again in the same location after some time.

There are some workarounds for this problem. You can see how it is done here: Re: Patch - image: Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

If you are not into DIY, you might want to contact bro fatigue to see if he can do it for you. I know he has fixed many lenses with this same exact problem.

Default Re: Alternate/3rd party lens servicing locations

thanks, will pursue that route
    Team FX Nikon
    Pet peeve: The word is 'lens', not 'len'