Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 48

Thread: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

  1. #21
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    cant look only at the disparity between $400 and $5,000. I think fault could lie with the client, too. What was the brief about? was it written down what was needed, outcomes of the shoot etc? Sometimes, ppl interpret things differently. To the amateur, he may only think it's about taking good pics with no relation to concept and execution (stated earlier by some bros), whereas the pro has the experience to quote for things he anticipate will be needed.
    So, to me (with current avail knowledge), fault lies with the client for being foolish.

  2. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Sengkang
    Posts
    149

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    kinda hard to explain..... last time about 10 years ago, i shoot some for my own collection..... some bears in a old box....

    I printed it and one day, a agency guy came to look for my colleague, and he saw the pictures. He told my colleague, a good try, not bad but final execution fails.

    From there, i learn that not you can shoot means you can execute it for the final output. You need to understand the concept, client's expectation, how to make it to perfection.

    It's like many people can shoot well example a room, nice lights etc, but execute it to make the picture perfect, placement of items, products, light source, mood and feel of the images...... the color, shadow placement, angle, perspective etc etc, a lot to learn and know.
    this reminds me of an old comic strip (cant remember whether it's laofuzi or Lat). Guy walked into a barber shop. Took out a pic of elvis and showed it to the barber. Barber gave the thumbs up, no problemo. After the haircut was over, guy looked nowhere near Elvis. LOL

  3. #23
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,667

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    kinda hard to explain..... last time about 10 years ago, i shoot some for my own collection..... some bears in a old box....

    I printed it and one day, a agency guy came to look for my colleague, and he saw the pictures. He told my colleague, a good try, not bad but final execution fails.

    From there, i learn that not you can shoot means you can execute it for the final output. You need to understand the concept, client's expectation, how to make it to perfection.

    It's like many people can shoot well example a room, nice lights etc, but execute it to make the picture perfect, placement of items, products, light source, mood and feel of the images...... the color, shadow placement, angle, perspective etc etc, a lot to learn and know.
    Thanks. I get what you mean. In essence, that's the difference betwwen a guy with camera, an amateur and the ones making a living out of photography. Being aware of the situation you are in is just as important as being "technically and artistically" competent. When you work for a client, you've got to acknowledge that the decisions made during a shoot doe not solely rest on your whims and fancies.

    I was telling a friend of mine over lunch just now. Photographs which my clients wanted are not always the ones I think are best(or good for the matter).

  4. #24
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,667

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by fotoudavid View Post
    LOL... yes true to a point. In fact, because already stated $400 VS $5000, i believe many already think $400 work is rubbish. Maybe the $400 guy did a great job, but client expectation is different, not so bad pictures but cannot execute to what the clients wants.

    Not saying $400 is correct price, but need to know which agency handles the job, as why they take such a risk? Unbelievable....
    A good photographer should first and foremost be able to comprehend the client's requirements then translate the brief into his photographs. Mis-communication could have happened along the way but for a client to reject his work, I wouldn't consider that he did a great job. How his photos look like is not relevant.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    East of Singapore
    Posts
    1,750

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by manalishi View Post
    this reminds me of an old comic strip (cant remember whether it's laofuzi or Lat). Guy walked into a barber shop. Took out a pic of elvis and showed it to the barber. Barber gave the thumbs up, no problemo. After the haircut was over, guy looked nowhere near Elvis. LOL
    This one I remember, it's Lat
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

  6. #26

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    It is an example of one photographer fail to meet the client expectation... (or over promise under deliver). I don't know the full details so can't take this any further.

    Sometimes, people make mistake on their choice and some just don't see the point of spending more for some record shot, or whatever reason they think that doesn't justify the expenditure... it is not life and death... if the guy who charge $400 fail to meet expectation, well if the client decide to hire the one who charge $5k, then he end up paying $5400 and one lesson learn. This will probably a small price to pay to learn something about professional photographer.


    Regards,

    Hart

  7. #27
    Senior Member Dfive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Singapore lah....
    Posts
    3,125

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    I just found out that a luxury property here got someone, an amateur, to shoot for them at $400 for a day. End of it all, none of the images can be used as the images do not fulfilled the client's immediate needs. Another quote from a pro for the same job was in the S$5K range.

    The disparity is jarring, from $400 to $5000. Really, is this where we are heading?
    how you know the $ range ?? Did you bid ?
    See my WTS items.. :) Any sales is by meet up face to face, payment is cash only.

  8. #28
    Member bowwow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    In my own private Idaho.
    Posts
    514

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Photographs which my clients wanted are not always the ones I think are best(or good for the matter).
    totally agree.
    --- the only constant is evolution and change ---
    --- the only solution is adaptation ---

  9. #29
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by OoStarDustoO View Post
    Somehow i feel the photo biz section became an amateur bashing forum and bitching of how low people charge. Then after bashing, the talk about cost comes in saying how ignorant those "cheapo" photographers are. No?

    I think that this kind of thread is not helping anyone. We already have all the information we need in other similar threads in the photo biz forum.

    Furthermore, if the client is unhappy, then he should be the one to post this on the forum instead.

    For example anyone can also post a thread call "Paid $4000. Engaged someone else at $1000 and got better photos instead" without anyone verifying it's authenticity.

    Hope you know where am i coming from.
    what the photographer charging is not what TS try to bring out if you read his post carefully.


    from here, two issues highlighted and most people will fail to see it.

    #1, Did the client hire this photographer just because his rate is very affordable without checking out his work?
    if they did not, than probably hire a event photographer go and shoot interior (what is there to say anymore? blame yourself lar)
    if they did check out his work before engaging him, than what kind of portfolio is he showing and why the client consider all the shot taken are unusable?


    #2, Did the photographer did find out what the client is looking for before taking up this assignment? if yes, so he think this job is within his capability, than again, why the client consider all the shots taken are unusable?
    did he try to do anything after the client is not please with outcome? (if he did, TS will be told a different story)





    I don't see the failure is because he charge so cheap, but have not find out what the client wants before the shoot, and many members already pointed this out.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  10. #30
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,901

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    To the amateurs who attempted to take the job, it's might just seems to be a matter of pressing a shutter button and maybe an expensive camera and lens will take care of it. Read some articles from Bryan Peterson maybe. Chance of exposure and portfolio we all understand lah, it's Clubsnap mah.

    It's what you don't know that killed you.

    In this instance I see the client is more at fault. They invited these photographers but shut out the real people who can do the job.

    Anyway, "You keep shooting!!"
    "You keep shooting!!" that is what Bryan Peterson says.


    here, people say, "I want to shoot everything!!"
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  11. #31

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    If bring lightings .... S$400.00 PER ANGLE more like it ...
    Camera on tripod only .... S$400.00 2 hours shoot possible ... (30 minutes per angle fastest)

    Dont expect 2 hours to complete shooting everything as there's a lot of backend work preparing
    each angle with props & shifting of furnitures or elimination of reflections.

    Otherwise S$400.00 for whole day shoot ... hahahhahahahahahah....

  12. #32

    Default

    The client was probably inexperienced or just trying his luck.
    KF Photography
    Thanks for viewing!

  13. #33

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Photographers are like prostitutes.
    Both the $400 and $5,000 pros can make the client cum.
    But maybe the client is complaining because the $400 prostitute did not offer value-add service?


    Sorry... I am just joking.
    It's hard to judge without seeing the job brief, deliverables required etc.

  14. #34

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    privileged information from within, can't say much more.

    i wouldn't even call it a risk. Just foolishness.
    Sheer foolishness indeed. There has to be a way of settling a proper scale of price...maybe a study that would help convince others...well actually that sounds like a bad idea.

  15. #35

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by bowwow View Post
    I just found out that a luxury property here got someone, an amateur, to shoot for them at $400 for a day. End of it all, none of the images can be used as the images do not fulfilled the client's immediate needs. Another quote from a pro for the same job was in the S$5K range.

    The disparity is jarring, from $400 to $5000. Really, is this where we are heading?
    Actually, I see this incident as something good, thanx a lot for sharing it.

    Sorry to sound so anti-amateur, but when a wannabe crash and burn, it bring awareness to clients, amateurs and pros alike, that it takes heavy effort to be in this business. The awareness is the good part. That effort could very well mean a full time career and its not playing fun.

    Love amateurs photographers, these people are the ones with free expression of creative minds and art. But please, architectural gigs don't come easy to the architectural guys, its not like every weekend there's hundreds of weddings in town. So when you take away someone's job of the month, or even the quarter, ensure you better do a better job than the pro and charge no lesser.

    Otherwise, please stick to shooting your esplanade, upload flickr, and call it 'architectural photography', nobody will mind or laugh. But this type of incident, sorry.

  16. #36

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    Photographers are like prostitutes.
    Both the $400 and $5,000 pros can make the client cum.
    But maybe the client is complaining because the $400 prostitute did not offer value-add service?


    Sorry... I am just joking.
    It's hard to judge without seeing the job brief, deliverables required etc.
    you may be joking, but it's super low-class, in bad taste and insulting to the profession of photography and all the ladies who are professional photographers or advanced hobbyists in this forum

  17. #37

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Agree, this is like flogging a dead horse to death.... Anyway, for all we know the luxury property may be uncertain & whimsical or just wanted some shots for assessment, to "see see" only. For such a company, $400 is but peanuts & its no big deal & can shoot again if needed. If they really wanted the photos for some urgent grand brochures, advertisement, display, I'm sure they know how to do it the right way with the $$$, proper brief, thru an agency etc. Dont think they are foolish "virgins" Its says here the images do not fullfil client's immediate needs, but perhaps they may be used for future needs later, even if for a limited purpose?


    Quote Originally Posted by OoStarDustoO View Post
    Somehow i feel the photo biz section became an amateur bashing forum and bitching of how low people charge. Then after bashing, the talk about cost comes in saying how ignorant those "cheapo" photographers are. No?

    I think that this kind of thread is not helping anyone. We already have all the information we need in other similar threads in the photo biz forum.

    Furthermore, if the client is unhappy, then he should be the one to post this on the forum instead.

    For example anyone can also post a thread call "Paid $4000. Engaged someone else at $1000 and got better photos instead" without anyone verifying it's authenticity.

    Hope you know where am i coming from.
    Last edited by s1221ljc; 23rd May 2013 at 01:39 PM.

  18. #38

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Dead horse must flog. Just like floor dirty must sweep. And toilet must flush.

  19. #39

    Default Re: S$400 for a day's shoot for a luxury property?!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by astroboy View Post
    Photographers are like prostitutes.
    Both the $400 and $5,000 pros can make the client cum.
    But maybe the client is complaining because the $400 prostitute did not offer value-add service?


    Sorry... I am just joking.
    It's hard to judge without seeing the job brief, deliverables required etc.
    Uncouth.

  20. #40
    Moderator nitewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    4,633
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sjackal

    Indeed. IMHO the photobiz forum should focus on helping people build their photo business, which some guys here are doing though they are also getting bashed and accused.

    So it's chaos here. Maybe if the photo biz section can be made accessible via application, it will reach the right people who needs it. And trouble stirrers can later be restricted out by the mods. JMHTC
    That is if one wants to restrict out trouble stirrers. But if these trouble stirrers fulfill the personal agenda of some, then they can always survive here. While those defending the amateurs will be mocked.
    Last edited by nitewalk; 24th May 2013 at 09:04 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •