Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: billingham bags

Default Re: billingham bags

it is built to last..and it looks better as it gets aged..just like wines..

Quote Originally Posted by centrix View Post
    so the main plus points are the waterproofing, the stealth and the prestige?
    You can swap the prestige with functionality.

I don't have one, but planning to get one. Anyway, don't take their words for it. You gotta see one, and feel it before you judge whether it's all about prestige or functionality.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

the reason why i started the thread is because i wanted to stop being ignorant and want to know the views of others. However, it seems i get defensive posts instead? i can understand the aesthetic beauty of the styling of the bag but is there anything else others like about it?
    Billingham bags do last a long time and is made of some of the best natural materials.
    Buckles etc are also very lasting.
    However their inserts have been known to give problems. Not sure if that is fully resolved.
    They do look stylish and do attract more attention.

Next would be DOMKE bags. and then Think Tanks.

Lowepro has completely fallen out of favour due to low quality of materials used.

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    Anyone can advise where to buy this bag?
    look for Mr PK chans no. in the billingham thread.

it's got character...you appreciate it more as it ages. 2 of my Billys are about the same age as me! I prefer the old styles like the photo eventer.

I have a crumpler as well (brazillion dollar bag, built and heavy as a tank!) like but I use it mainly for rugged journeys and I'm bringing other stuff.

Both are good bags and serve there purpose well. and yeah, personal preference as well

I for one... don't really like the look of billingham bags. I prefer the rugged look of Nat Geo series of bags. Anyway, I am not one who go for brand, and as far as I can see, the Billingham although well made, is still overprice (to me).
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

It looks nice lo . . .

Need a bag for work and gears. The Billingham solved the problem for me, so I don't need to buy 2 bags. None of my non-photog colleagues know its a camera bag.

Other brands suited to photography use but not so much executive work use. Not to mention, it feels like it can last me 2-3 decades.

If you need excuses for changing bag frequently, go Lowepro

so the main plus points are the waterproofing, the stealth and the prestige?
    You would first need to be attracted to the classic/retro aesthetic first, before being interested in the other features. A mix of functionality (waterproofing, durability etc) and craftsmanship (quality materials, nice stitching, well-made, etc). The price can also be attributed to the fact that it's marketed as a premium hand-crafted product made in UK. Similar products I can think of in the same vein are Brompton bicycles and Brooks bicycle saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by eleveninth View Post
    look for Mr PK chans no. in the billingham thread.
    the last time i checked Orient Photo, their prices are very competitive with Mr Chan's prices. so you might want to check with them instead if you don't wish to travel far

For those interested, especially in the Hadley series, I think G-Market offers a pretty nice deal. Got my Hadley Pro from there at about $270

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

crumpler isn't about the price. it's about quality/usability vs price. i'd rather pay more and get Timbuk2. now there's a good bag for the price.

anyways... these days Android phones are as expensive as iPhones.
    haha is it? my samsung tab2 7inch 3g wifi 32gb cost me $398 lor. how much is the iPad mini?
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

Quote Originally Posted by GReddyZC76 View Post

haha is it? my samsung tab2 7inch 3g wifi 32gb cost me $398 lor. how much is the iPad mini?
    $578

But for durability I'd go for the iPad any day.

we were discussing phones, now tablets?

FYI, the 16gb iPhone is almost the same price as the Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z and HTC One.

Quote Originally Posted by kei1309 View Post

$578

But for durability I'd go for the iPad any day.

we were discussing phones, now tablets?

FYI, the 16gb iPhone is almost the same price as the Samsung Galaxy S4, Sony Xperia Z and HTC One.
    yupe know that
    that y i specifically mentioned tab2 7inch 3G . can make phone call.

anyway OT liao. back to billingham crumpler. zkin & herringbone...
    [D800|AFS2470F2.8G|AFS70200F2.8G|AFS1635F4G|AFS28F1 .8G|AF85F1.8D|AFDC105F2D|SB700|SB900]

Quote Originally Posted by 3phase View Post
    it's got character...you appreciate it more as it ages. 2 of my Billys are about the same age as me!
    That's the word. Character. Billy bags are oozing with character.

heh ive decided that if i ever invest in anymore dslr gear, ill probably get a billy bag to grow character with me

heh ive decided that if i ever invest in anymore dslr gear, ill probably get a billy bag to grow character with me
    No, the bag has character. But it does not grow your character
    Last edited by Windballad; 24th May 2013 at 05:40 AM.
    Sigma 2470 & 70200 f2.8 | EM1 | Oly 1240 f2.8 | EM5 | Oly 1250 | Pana 45150 | Ricoh GRD IV

Anyone with character, doesn't really need a bag to grow that character

Anyway, I find my China made (BBK-4) oozing with character too, but that is me only. And I got my massive BBK-4 at only around S$10 (I was lucky, now the bag sell at around S$5x) from ebay... I have been carrying it with me everywhere after gotten it and it had not fail me at all.

Although as compared with a Billingham bag (which was a totally different league), I find my is still of incredible value.
    Last edited by rhino123; 24th May 2013 at 10:09 AM.
    I am not a photographer, just someone who happened to have a couple of cameras.
    My lousy shots

I can't have pretty bags cos I need to bring so much stuff with me for my shoots

Quote Originally Posted by small pig View Post
    Anyone can advise where to buy this bag?
    PK CHAN 9691 2577

He's the distributor.. or one of the distributors.. cheaper than buying from shops

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast