Thread: Bright Sunlight, Shadow and fill-flash tips, pls

Default Bright Sunlight, Shadow and fill-flash tips, pls

Got this problem from my recent overseas trip.

Very bright sun light - subject wearing hat - hence cast shadow on face.

How to take a reasonably ok photo?

Tried fill-in flash but because of the syn speed of 1/60, it over exposed everything (shutter speed without flash was somthing like 3200 most of time). (previously just take without the flash - overall pic looks ok but the subject (not necessary people) not ok )

OR must I got to adjust to lowest aperture (forgot to try this)

Some tips please!

Well, unless you need that out of focus effect at the back I do not see why you would want to use a big aperture to do that. Just close up your aperture and use fill of -1/-2 compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge

Tried fill-in flash but because of the syn speed of 1/60, it over exposed everything (shutter speed without flash was somthing like 3200 most of time). (previously just take without the flash - overall pic looks ok but the subject (not necessary people) not ok )

Some tips please!
    what flash are u using? some of the newer flash allows you go to beyond their lowest shutter spd, usually called Focal Plane (FP) sync speed if i not wrong, check your flash manual to see if you have it. =) this will allow you to go up to 1/2000 etc i believe, quite useful for just a pop of fill flash.

or, you can always use a reflector/bounce card (tilt flash head up, dun use direct) and play around with your settings...

Quote Originally Posted by swhyge

Some tips please!
    if you get shutter speed like 1/3200, tt mean your camera has reached the metering limit (weather must be very hot). Beyond the limit will result in overexpose. If you set your flash on, camera will limit to sync speed like 1/60, you need to set smaller aperture to get correct exposure. You also need to set flash compensate -1 for fill-in.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap